What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rock solid panel

bentlage

I have over 200 hours on our -7 and the panel has performed flawlessly. I'm a retired Naval Aviator and have never enjoyed avionics with this much capability, thanks Advanced Flight Systems and Garmin.

aowbkn.jpg

Nice panel! I'm building a 7 as well and am considering a symmetric panel layout as well .. with screens for both seats. Thanks for showing it off!

more pics?

Looks nice. How about a few more pictures? It looks like you have the breakers on a lower level extension. Im thinking of doing the same, but don't want to get too low. Is your panel the standard then the lower added?

Thanks for the info and have fun with your plane.

Circuit breaker sub-panel

There's a story....
While I was building I was watching a friend (Hi! Ted) with a flying -6 slider change his panel several times (upgrade, dissatisfied, etc.) so I decided to make a provision in case I might want to make a change in the future. That provision was to incorporate C/Bs, engine/prop controls, start button, flap switch, heat control, and headset plugs into a recessed sub-panel. That sub-panel and all its associated wiring was attached to the bottom of the standard Vans panel with six screws.
The story.....
I completed and installed my fully functioning panel and sub-panel. Unfortunately the panel included Blue Mountain Avionics EFIS systems; they went out of business shortly after my panel was complete. While I was crying in my beer another friend (seems I have two) gave me some good advice, "If you don't like it now you won't like it later, make the hard call." I did, and scrapped the original panel. I really hadn't planned on replacing the panel before it flew; win some, loss some. Although there was significant work and cost it would have been much, much worse without the sub-panel mod.
FYI, The sub-panel material is 2" aluminum angle available at the "aeronautical" isle of Home Depot. The 2? setback is just right to protect the headset plugs, C/Bs, and controls when getting in and I think it looks neat.
I had the panel and the sub-panel water jet cut by a small company in SE Michigan. I provided them the dimensional data, including all the mounting holes, and they provided me a perfect part for little cost (both times). I left .005/.010 on a side/diameter for cleanup; they hold .005 on location. The water jet cut has kind of a frosted surface and requires a light cleanup or run a drill through the holes.
Rather than cluttering this site, if anyone wants more info or pics let me know and I will send them via PM.
Building is great, flying is better.

Back