What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A First Flight

JackW

G'day all,

Certificate of Airworthiness issued 10:30 21Apr12 and reporting first flight of VH-VNS RV6A kit 20938 10:31am 22Apr12 Australian EST from Mangalore (YMNG) airport in Central Victoria. Flight duration was 20 minutes. None of the wings were heavier than any of the others although right rudder was required to keep the ball centered. Only problem was with the pitch trim control which is via the VP-X computer; configuration dropped out leaving the pitch trim uncontrolled (but in trail). Probably need to get to the root cause of that one.

Engine is an IO-320 fully rebuilt with dual Lightspeed Plasma II+ ignition. With test prop on, engine exceeds 2700rpm so producing a little more than the standard 160hp. Prop is a Sensenich FP. Fatso is probably one of the heavier RV6A's at 480kg (1058lbs) Basic empty weight

Some photos will be forthcoming.

Grin now installed on face, see some of you at Oshkosh this year.

John Bridges
RV6A - Finally in the air
Melbourne, Australia.

And the very best model by the way

I am perhaps a little prejudiced. Ours was 1201 lbs - slim. Hey Brad what happened in January 1964 and who is "L"?

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Well done!

Welcome to the Aussie Retard Vehicle club.....affectionately said;)

Hey let 20lbs out of each tyre will reduce your weight by 40lbs :D

Make sure you bring it to Ausfly in September, 13-16. YNRM Narromine NSW. Keep n eye on www.ausfly.com.au for details in the coming weeks

Last edited:
"Fatso is probably one of the heavier RV6A's at 480kg (1058lbs)..."

John, you're making me feel bad. My -6A was 1050 lbs and I thought it was on the slim side. Maybe things weigh differently Down Under! Anyhow, congrats on getting your bird in the air. You didn't say how long it took to build.

Jim Bower
St. Louis, MO
RV-6A N143DJ
Flying since August 2011

"Fatso is probably one of the heavier RV6A's at 480kg (1058lbs)..."

John, you're making me feel bad. My -6A was 1050 lbs and I thought it was on the slim side. Maybe things weigh differently Down Under! Anyhow, congrats on getting your bird in the air. You didn't say how long it took to build.

Jim Bower
St. Louis, MO
RV-6A N143DJ
Flying since August 2011

Fatso, by the way, was an unofficial mascot of the Sydney 2000 Olympics, not a reference to the weight of this bird. I went with a QANTAS-like paintjob (decals actually) but didn't want a flying kangaroo on the tail. Better something that eats roots and leaves! Wombat - not to be mistaken with the American project management acronym - Waste Of Money Brains And Time.

Build was about three years after I got it but the fuse, wings and emp were mostly complete.

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

6073728f.jpg

Regards,
John

6073728f.jpg

Regards,
John

WOW!!! Now that is the perfect panel!! Be sure and place this picture in the "SHOW US YOUR PANEL" section here at VAF.

Congratulations, Matt at MGL should be proud of their product and your application.

PS..... Your brake pedals look too vertical. You may have trouble keeping from dragging the brakes during taxi and landing. You can cause them to lay forward by filing out the lower master mount hole. File it down will make the pedal to lay back. You can also shorten the link will cause the rudder pedal to tilt toward you. And last, you can add material to the lower bar like heater hose or custom spacers sold on the NEt.

Last edited:
Great plane

You should be very proud . Sue and Kirsty were so happy for you both and I am sure Bill will be looking down with a smile .

Very beautiful for sure, congratulations! What I really fell in love with is what is apparently LED mood lighting, tell us more about that!

Mood Lighting

More charitable than the description of lighting in a men's toilet that I've had before. They are adhesive-backed SMD strip leds mouted under the canopy rails, seat back bulkhead and the second bulkhead in behind the panel. The panel has a strip as well mounted under the glareshield. I'm only using a resistor to control the dimming on the panel at the moment but will get around to replacing the resitor with a PWM circuit to make the dimming more linear. Panel dimmer is the right-most of three knobs on the sub-panel. the other two are servo controls for cabin heat and rear vents (for the dawg).

Very beautiful for sure, congratulations! What I really fell in love with is what is apparently LED mood lighting, tell us more about that!

Flying Again

Back in the air again Chris. Replaced the electrical computer and the new one is holding the trim config now. 10 hours down, 15 to go. Will get most if not all done before you get back from scenic Iceland.

You should be very proud . Sue and Kirsty were so happy for you both and I am sure Bill will be looking down with a smile .

Back