What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bungalow 2013 summer (are we on the same page)?

Captain_John

Well Known Member
We had some characters up here this past weekend!

Vlad, Turbo, Dan "Top Gun", Noah, Agent Orange and his better half, Mikey B. and the Major all spent a couple of nights up here at 8B0.

We took some pictures of the 5 ship over town, the evening festivities and who knows what else.

I will upload mine later but I expect Vlad (and others) will upload his here soon!

Rv's, floatplanes, beers, live bands, boats and lots of laughs!

Thanks for coming up guys!

We will do it again soon!

:cool: CJ

2mf3.jpg

mike, that is a great write up on our rv gathering in the mountains of maine.

capt john, thanks so much for having us at your bungalow and dragging that yacht of yours all the way north.

it is always a let down when ending such a fun time together. :):):)

North Woods Cool!

A Flash Mob of RVs was seen by thousands over Northern Maine - great weekend with all you guys! Thanks to our host John for keeping things lively and entertaining. The cool breezes of Northern Maine are sure refreshing during these summer heat waves of the Northeast! Swimming in cool Rangeley Lake, formation training, and a great dinner on Lake Mooselookmeguntic at Bald Mountain Camps are memories I will remember for a long time!

And great to put a face to some of those avatars - sheesh was I shocked Mike!:D Great trip writeup too!

I just hope it smelled better than the Stanley Hilton when you guys got done with it!

Great trip!!

Talk about a testament to RV people. I dropped my RV off in San Diego last week and I am back on the east coast getting my vehicles and stuff. Captain John sends out an invite, one simple phone call "Hey Turbo, you got an empty seat?" And the rest is history!

Many thanks to everyone for making my time on the east coast an enjoyable one. What better way to leave the northeast than a weekend at the Bungalow with this crowd. Lots of fun and great meeting new people. If you find yourselves on the west coast, give me a shout!

Dan "2013 Moose Alley INTL Darts Champion!!!"

(How is this picture RV related you ask??? Simple, the dog in the picture 'Wyatt' has more RV time than many on this list!)

Tony, We had to repaint the Hilton, it's fine now... I'll make to Rangely one of these years, It looks like a lot of fun. It's raining again here in NS. It's taking forever to get some hours on the Hobbs.

Good luck out there in Cali Dan. Keep in touch.

2mf3.jpg

mike, that is a great write up on our rv gathering in the mountains of maine.

capt john, thanks so much for having us at your bungalow and dragging that yacht of yours all the way north.

it is always a let down when ending such a fun time together. :):):)

Is that Russian camouflage Vlad has on? :D:D

Chunks

Personally, I enjoyed every minute with the RV Fleet Pilots who ventured up into my back yard here up in Maine. It was a pleasure to meet each and every one of you outstanding aviators! I am glad to have been your boating captain when we were not flying. Also great to connect with my Cessna 175 float plane buddy, Jim Timberlake. Safe flights to all!

Major Pape

Mike great report I was glad to finally meet you. I had great pleasure to fly by your wing as #5 you have one sweet machine. As Noah, I expected to see a respectable scholar of advanced age and I was very surprised to see a young articulate fellow with sharp stick skills :D

A Flash Mob of RVs was seen by thousands over Northern Maine - great weekend with all you guys! Thanks to our host John for keeping things lively and entertaining.

Noah I guess you benefited the most from this trip. Can you count how many times I tricked you? :D

I just hope it smelled better than the Stanley Hilton when you guys got done with it!

Tony we missed you man. The event was on Stanley level.

Tony, We had to repaint the Hilton, it's fine now...

Paullie,
The Rangeley Mariott was five times bigger then Stanley Hilton but John cooked less beans he knew what to expect. There were two floors and a basement we were comfortable (were you good Noah?) but I had ear plugs just in case.

Salmon Hyatt is next... it's five times bigger then Rangeley Mariott :D

Is that Russian camouflage Vlad has on? :D:D

:D:D:D

to be continued...

Here are a few shots from my vantage point...

Thanks CJ, for letting us stay at the Bungalow! :D
IMG_0326_zpsb69582ae.jpg

Prepping for departure, flight of 5 RVs:
IMG_0158_zps0ee23a57.jpg

Here's Turbo from a ways out, but this is nice and clear - what a great day.
IMG_0173_zpsaa3be1a1.jpg

Mike, sorry man, this is about the best shot we had of you. Hard to reach across and get that side well in the bumpiness. Next time for sure!
IMG_0184_zps8443dad1.jpg

Noah in the turn
IMG_0225_zps7ee5d977.jpg

And a nice sunset over Mooselookmeguntic Lake, a Cub on floats says it all.
IMG_0264_zps7e304802.jpg

Then, out of nowhere, there was a flash fly-by!
IMG_0280_zpsb9096dfb.jpg

The next day, it was time to head back into the heat and humidity. We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Parlin Field, NH (2B3) while waiting to see what the storms were doing around Westover. This is my first time parking the plane in the shade of a tree! I was just off the approach end of 12. This is a great stop mid-New Hampshire, cheap gas, too. The Mexican food on-field is awesome. (It is a bumpy taxi down this particular grass runway, however ...)
IMG_0329_zps3b9c7707.jpg

IMG_0363_zps122ddf1d.jpg

Video to follow when I get it edited up!

-AO

All,

Wifi here has been spotty at best. I will upload my pics when I get home.

Was a GREAT weekend and I am glad that you all made it!

Maybe we can have more next time!

We need more for the formation flyby. The townsfolk have been making up stories about it since you all left!

:D. CJ

Bungalow

I am soooooo jealous!:( I was "in" for this trip but the "monsoon" coming out of Florida up through N. Georgia this last week kept me on the ground Fri. up until late Sat.

It's 867 nautical mi. from here to 8B0, so there was no way I could make it. I'll make the next one hopefully!:D

We need more for the formation flyby. The townsfolk have been making up stories about it since you all left!

:D. CJ

An OOPS Captain (hi Allan) was streaking our way but he was terribly late. He was still over Alaska but his boy scout son made a couple pictures of us with his phone and send them to Daddy. That's all I can say about it :D

IMG_0158_zps0ee23a57.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:
Why is Turbo on the runway with his canopy still open and unlatched??

You boys are out of control! :D

Road to Rangeley

Captain John is a president of elite RV Underground Club and a commander of a NE mob squadron. Once in a while he gathers his troops in a remote location, treat them nicely and as a result he gets our unquenchable loyalty. This time to check the law and order came the most legendary Turbo.

I've been to those meetings multiple times and love them. This time we were expecting two more converts but they had legit reasons not to come.

There are several sky roads to Rangeley the longest being direct. I went the shortest this time. I am working on populating my islands list and this time I decided to check the islands of Maine. Did my homework, checked the weather and launched on a nice Saturday morning.

A fellow mobster (Noah) sniffed some good flying and asked me if he could join. Why not? The only thing I didn't give him is the itinerary and locations where we would stop. He loaded his bike and all gears at the back, repositioned his airliner to more convenient airport (read with free breakfast) and waited.

And waited...

Amazing how this thing gets skinnier after an hour of flight. Ever tried to look at yours?

Here they make good subs but money already spent.

Noah has a lot of gadgetry and recently invented a device able to pick up azimuth and distance on any aircraft without any internet. Wow. I confused his gadget by arriving at destination at higher altitude then slowly spiraling down.

There is a dead Antonov biplane :eek: I have couple hours logged in similar decades ago.

Here is Noah ready.

I gave him an identifier of an island and we left.

Last edited:
Tony (tkatc) lent me his folding bike. Now he has to pay me some money for bike flying time.

Wow some big airports down under. It's not New York for sure they have them big somewhere else.

In an hour or so being to close proximity to a warning area we finally saw a promised land. Island #1.

We explored it from the air and I spare you the details who can log and what. You may check later on my islands list :D

For island #2 we already had a story about dead relatives buried there.

Runway there is listed as excellent gravel but people in the knowledge told me it's like Wimbledon clay court. It's only 1300 by 30 feet but approach looks nice from the pattern. I go first and USE ALL RUNWAY to the last foot :eek: I didn't want to brake hard fearing to cut my brand new tires. I radioed to Noah that it's short, gravely, exercise extreme caution. Noah, being a Navy guy, coming down easily planted his RV as on air carrier deck. Sure he stopped at the center of this runway. I was impressed.

This is the runway with ruts Noah made.

These are the twins posing for a victory shot.

Getting out of there in hot afternoon close to gross weight wasn't a big task.

Runway on island #3 was rendered inop.

Island #4 had great concrete. We initially thought of biking around but in that scorching heat we decided against it. A non pilot local showed up, snooped around our airplanes, asked some stupid questions, gave us directions where the town is and left. Non pilot for sure.

This was Stonington Municipal . From here Noah went direct to Rangeley,ME and I decided to explore the vicinities for some time. Wallet wasn't thin enough to leave.

I went around here.

And there.

And somewhere else where my camera refused to work and fancy Noah gadget couldn't pick me up :D

Then I went to Rangeley.

All is familiar been here many times.

Then was the next day. There was an improvised airshow with Turbo as our fearless leader. There was a great dinner at a lodge owned by a pilot. Then there was a dawn patrol by "Top Gun" Dan in the left seat of my RV9A. He landed that thing better then I do :eek:

The day after next the troops were free to do what they want. I went to check the security of Canadian border and couple grass strips down in the mountains.

Did couple passes over seaplane base both high and low speed it looks like townfolks and tourists liked it.

See you next time we have to bring more then 5 RVs there.

Last edited:
breakfast at a local b&b.
P1000400.jpg

view down main st from the b&b

P1000402.jpg

noah - heavy weight

P1000413.jpg

andy and allison - cool factor

P1000407.jpg

mike - farthest flown

P1000408.jpg

Last edited:
Vlad demonstrates the stealth arrival with nary a whistle from 7500’, looking for free food like a seagull at a McDonalds… Pancakes not ready so egg sandwich from Dunkin Donuts had to suffice
y0uw.jpg

An hour later, off the Maine Coast...
9lir.jpg

Arrival at unnamed island off Maine Coast to visit graves of relatives
op9n.jpg

John I think we located the owner of the gold chain left in the bathroom, how much did the pawn shop give you?
r8vp.jpg

A pay phone? Haven’t seen one of these in awhile!
10fi.jpg

Vlad pacing off the awesome short field capability of the mighty RV-7. Who knew it was so much better than the 9?
knay.jpg

Sure are a lot of islands off the Maine coast!
gj1x.jpg

Stonington Maine, too hot to get the folding bikes out – lets go swimming in Rangeley!
dlp0.jpg

Vlad parking in the mountains of western Maine – 15 degrees cooler here!
7zgr.jpg

This photo DESERVES a caption contest. Any takers?

hs9m.jpg

Last edited:
Andy ?Agent Orange? and Alison
obac.jpg

Vlad debating how he is going to swim vigorously and simultaneously keep his boxers on as the boat blows away ? for those that missed this, very entertaining! (No photos please)
7z7u.jpg

Cap?n in his element!
3f2b.jpg

"Omega Dan" rubs the lamp, and a Russian Genie in a green shirt pops out...
rnnb.jpg

Let?s see some videos, Andy!!!
y4cf.jpg

Spit Shine, Sweet!
gk51.jpg

Fitful ending to a fun day!
mhh8.jpg

Wish I had taken some photos of the formation flight, but I definitely could not afford the distraction. Appreciate the lesson, Danno - thanks for flying right seat with me!

2013 Summer is over

Couple weeks ago Squadron Commander invited his troops again. Very few made it. Captain John himself was weathered for most of the day only minutes from the Bungalow.

I went Northern Light Route. Last year deep in the mountains I buried an entrance and now I need it. Spent good 30 minutes trying to locate the secret hole.

Only slow going RV9 could fit in there. Don't try it at home.

RV9 pilots must read Maine English and have a sharp eye. Road signs are few and print on them very fine.

Global positioning system is jammed there you have to know how to read Whiskey.
It's almost Aleutian weather except you have a long Alcan style pavement available on short notice.

One turn...

then another...

and you are on the runway.

Army Major is in his element. He has a strange teeth shaped tattoo on his neck. Shark bite?

Captain John is busy logging NDB approaches. Rare flying he did today.

The Bungalow was closed for the season. We are turning the page...

Vlad,

Weather was a challenge that weekend! I am glad you made it.

So sad that summer is gone...

Looking forward to the winter trips!

Let us land on the ice again!

Anyone else interested?

;). CJ

CJ!

Prosecutor Dave and I are in for the ice landing event. That handle of Captain looks oddly familiar from the summer. I would of thought it would of evaporated by now :eek: :eek: :eek:

Good times at the Bungalow regardless of the Season!!

Whether it is summer:

Or Winter:

Captain's Bungalow is the place to be. Hate I am going to miss the Ice Fly-In this year. A great time by all.

(Captain, make sure you bring some gloves for the 'Yankee' this year!!!):cool:

Mikey,

I am sorry to say that I haven't been up there much this past fall. I will keep you posted regarding the winter fly in!

Dan, you do ok handling the cold up here considering you are from "away"!

...and for the record, Rhode Islanders are SWAMP Yankees!

Lol

;). CJ

Back