What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOE 2013

shocking terrible news. Kris and I were just talking with them as we waited for the weather to break on Sunday. How we wished we were retired to fly around like they were.

Our hearts go out to the family.

The Russell & Carol Kamtz Memorial Service will be held on September 21, 2013 at 10:30 am

The services will be at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 4650 Sunview Drive, Loveland, CO 80538.

My wife Ann and I will be flying in on the 20th and staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

UPDATED 2013 LOE Prize Donations:

Delta Pop Aviation will donate two blade type antennas ($69.95 each) Choice of either a Transponder or a ADS-B / UAT antenna.

JD Air Parts will donate $200.00 Gift Card for purchase of any product

Rick Peck will donate a P-Mag system he won in 2010 at the LOE Raffle $1,245.00 (Never Installed)

Tosten Manufacturing will donate a $139.00 CS- 8 control grip for an RV

Vertical Power will donate $500 off the purchase of a VP-X Pro or Sport.
(Must purchase directly from Vertical Power). Valid until October 31, 2014.

Brad Dement of E-MAG will donate a P114 set (ignition/harness/adapters $1,377.00
*** PLUS the winner will have the option of purchasing a second set at 20% off list price ($275.40 value)
must be ordered within 15 days after LOE.

Walt Aronow of ExpAircraft.com will donate $95.00 Transponder certification and $225.00 Dynamic prop balance

Fairings-Etc. - $300.00 Set of upper and lower main intersection fairings

Performance Propellers - $500.00 Gift Certificate towards a Propeller

Vans Aircraft $100 Gift Certificate

Mel Asberry $450.00 Gift Certificate towards DAR Inspection

Vetterman Exhaust - $895.00 4 cylinder 1.5" Crossover Exhaust System

Classic Aero Designs is donating $585.00 worth of stick boots 1 RV7, 1 RV9, and 1 RV8

Airflow Performance is donating a $390.00 Auxiliary Pump Assembly and
Two $200.00 gift certificates towards the purchase of any product

Grand Rapids Technologies are donating a $500.0 gift Certificate
Off the purchase of a GRT HXr System or $200.00 off of
The purchase of a GRT Sport System

TruTrak is donating a $1650.00 pair of Servos (pitch & roll)

Hopefully more to come

TOTAL RAFFLE PRIZE VALUE TO DATE $9,972.30

Last edited:
I know that there are higher priorities right now, but when you have time, can you address what impact, if any, this ramp construction will have on transient RV parking?

08/009 FNL APRON LIMITED PARKING AVBL WEF 1308231346-1310112300

I just found a PDF file showing closed areas at http://www.fortloveair.com/

I just talked to the airport manager (Jason) to see if there would be room on paved surfaces for 100+ RVs. His answer was no and that they may have needed to install cable tie-downs in the non-paved areas. Overall coordination is unclear with the tragic death of Mr. Kamtz and his wife.

Currently they seem to be pre-occupied with National Guard rescue efforts but a call to him or the operations manager Larry at X2853 might be fruitful in the near future. See http://www.airnav.com/airport/Kfnl for phone number.

My preferences don't amount to much but I hate taxiing/parking on non-paved surfaces. I wonder if in light of the ramp construction whether moving the event to Front Range or another area airport makes more sense. I will offer my assistance if I can help.

In Google Earth, I counted about 120 open ramp spots when that picture was taken.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/Kftg

Last edited:
I will be at KFNL on Friday to firm up everything for LOE 2013 and attending my former co-chair, Russ Kamtz and wife Carol's memorial service on Saturday.

By Sunday, September 22, 2013 I will have an updated post on all issues including status of ramp parking and taxi info and will post here on the LOE Trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Registration mail in address

Hi Russ
Do you have a different address for mail in registration?

Thanks

William
RV8A for sale
RV7 Insterments

LOE

Radio: UNICOM 122.70

Val Hucke office service manager knows about LOE and said Deb Montgomery is taking registration forms and cash/CC, she will be back this Monday.

FNL Jet Center
Atten- Deb Montgomery manager
Address: 4824 Earhart Road
Loveland, CO 80538

Telephone: 970-667-2574
toll-free 1-866-316-2296
Fax: 970-667-9038
Email: [email protected]
Web site: www.jetcenters.com/fort-collins-jetcenter

Spoke to Larry Mack, airport maintenence and he said no tie downs on the ramp as it is being worked on and may or not be finished, but has a grass area on the south end, and is willing to put cables in for tie downs if notified in time to get the cable, so bring your own tie downs in case, he said that was ok, if coming to the airport by hotel shuttle the airport manager said you will be treated as transient pilots but if needed the FBO will give you a temp gate pass.also KGXY 17nm east has tie down if you prefer and is a GA friendly airport.

As you all know we have had a bout with flooding and rode closures etc.,but we are all trying with Russ Daves to get this to work, and also with the help with Russ and Carol's family who are all wanting it to go ahead as a tribute to Russ and Carol. so get your registrations in! If you have registered or are going to we will need a head count shortly.

Thanks, Bob Eggleston
[email protected]

HEADS UP:

We are finalizing an agreement with the caterer and we MUST give them a head count on September 28. Because of this if we do not receive your registration by September 27 you MAY NOt get a meal at the Saturday night banquet on October 5.

At this point everything is coming together and the LOE 2013 RV Charity Fly In will be held on October 4-6,2013 at KFNL

UPDATED 2013 LOE Prize Donations:

Delta Pop Aviation will donate two blade type antennas ($69.95 each) Choice of either a Transponder or a ADS-B / UAT antenna.

JD Air Parts will donate $200.00 Gift Card for purchase of any product

Rick Peck will donate a P-Mag system he won in 2010 at the LOE Raffle $1,245.00 (Never Installed)

Tosten Manufacturing will donate a $139.00 CS- 8 control grip for an RV

Vertical Power will donate $500 off the purchase of a VP-X Pro or Sport.
(Must purchase directly from Vertical Power). Valid until October 31, 2014.

Brad Dement of E-MAG will donate a P114 set (ignition/harness/adapters $1,377.00
*** PLUS the winner will have the option of purchasing a second set at 20% off list price ($275.40 value)
must be ordered within 15 days after LOE.

Walt Aronow of ExpAircraft.com will donate $95.00 Transponder certification and $225.00 Dynamic prop balance

Fairings-Etc. - $300.00 Set of upper and lower main intersection fairings

Performance Propellers - $500.00 Gift Certificate towards a Propeller

Vans Aircraft $100 Gift Certificate

Mel Asberry $450.00 Gift Certificate towards DAR Inspection

Vetterman Exhaust - $895.00 4 cylinder 1.5" Crossover Exhaust System

Classic Aero Designs is donating $585.00 worth of stick boots 1 RV7, 1 RV9, and 1 RV8

Airflow Performance is donating multiple items

Grand Rapids Technologies are donating a $500.0 gift Certificate
Off the purchase of a GRT HXr System or $200.00 off of
The purchase of a GRT Sport System

TruTrak is donating a $1650.00 pair of Servos (pitch & roll)

Hopefully more to come

TOTAL RAFFLE PRIZE VALUE TO DATE $9,182.30 +

I would love to buy a few tickets to get in on thus raffle action. Any hope of doing it this year even though I am stuck here on the left coast?

Anybody attending that wants to accept money feel free to step up and do so if you want. My wife has to help me work the event and can only handle a few folks from Lubbock that can't attend. I know others have steped up and offered in the past.

We have almost broken $10,000.00 in raffle items donated for the LOE 2013 RV Charity Fly In raffle with another two weeks to go.

Don't forget to register by September 27 so we can get your T-shirts and banquet meal ordered.

Heads Up: If you mailed your registration to Russ Kamtz you are good to go as mail is being picked by the family, who will be attending LOE 2013 in memory of there parents and grandparents.

Raffle tickets in person?

I plan to fly up Friday afternoon then back in the early evening, I'm not staying for dinner or any of the other events but I would like to support the cause and enter the raffle. Can I do that in person on Friday or do I need to register and mail in the form?

Thanks

My wife along with a number of other wives seem to have fun. It would be great to see you again

QUOTE=Jesse;781854]I'm taking my wife on a 15-day anniversary trip in the -10 or the -9A. We have talked about going out West. Is LOE something she may enjoy? She's not really into planes, but this would be her first time at any aviation event without our 7 kids (or fewer when we had fewer).[/QUOTE]

My wife along with a number of other wives seem to have fun. It would be great to see you again

I'm taking my wife on a 15-day anniversary trip in the -10 or the -9A. We have talked about going out West. Is LOE something she may enjoy? She's not really into planes, but this would be her first time at any aviation event without our 7 kids (or fewer when we had fewer).

Don't know about LOE, but Ft. Collins was a nice place to visit.

Trivia - Main St. in Disneyland is modeled after the 1950's Ft. Collins Main St. Disney designer came form Ft. Collins.

The town has done a good job of getting the 50's look back to the Ft. Collins Main St...:)

We met with Russ Daves yesterday at KFNL and Gary Zilik from Pine Junction made it up to help out. Russ Daves has really has really accomplished a lot of the things we were really bogged down with as he has done this before. He had a meeting with the airport and they said the north ramp may be done in time so that was good news and we hope the flight restrictions because of the flood will be lifted so you some of you can enjoy flights over the area. The bad news is Hiwy 34 from Loveland and from Lyons will be closed maybe for months, so no short trips to Estes Park and the trail ridge road. Paul Harder is working with the Rocky Mountain Renegades for a missing man formation for Russ Kamtz a Navy veteran. This is going to take place so we are hoping for a good turnout, weather shoud be great! Russ Daves is pretty busy but will give an update here I'm sure shortly.

Just back from Fort Collins Loveland KFNL. Good meetings with lots of Russ Kamtz's pilot buddies offering lots of help with the LOE 2013 RV Charity Fly In. Everything is set for October 4-6, 2013.

Just to be on the safe side, for everyone who mailed in or hand delivered their registrations to Russ Kamtz, please drop me an e-mail at dav1111 at clear dot net and let me know so I can double check and make sure we have your registration.

We will have a free beer and wine social at 5:00 pm on October 4th & 5th and there will be a missing man fly over on Saturday at about 5:00 pm in memory of Russ Kamtz.

Be sure and bring your tie downs as we will some parking on the new ramp but if we have a really large turnout some parking will be on the grass.

We will also be doing a slideshow during the dinner hour on Saturday evening in honor of Russ Kamtz so if you have any pictures you want to include please send them to [email protected].

My thanks go out again to everyone that has offered help take up the vacumm left we Little Russ' passing.

Ride from Denver to LOE

Well, had a little encounter with a 500 lb calf a couple of weeks ago and had knee surgery last Friday, so flying to LOE is out. Would love to go for Sat night and return to Denver on Sun. If anyone is driving up from Denver and would like to share an Embassy room or just enjoy a couple of "soft drinks'". Let me know. Don Snoddy 303-973-0672' or [email protected]

Info if coming to LOE:
Roads still closed, loveland 34 to Estes park, Lyons to Estes park
Most flight restrictions lifted.
http://www.visitftcollins.com/brewery-tours
Russ Kamtz had been working on a brewery tour for Friday night, but we were unable to find any info on what he had done, so we may have rides for a Budweiser plant tour instead for Fri and Sat afternoons, probably 2-4 pm. If anyone is interested in doing it on their own you can use the above web site for maps and info on each, also has a phone number for yellow cab taxi (in case you need a ride after the tour, he-he)
http://www.colorado.com/factoriesmines/budweiser-tour-center

We will also plan for the ladies or guys, providing rides to the Benson Sculpture Park in Loveland, which is a free self-walking tour, probably 2-4pm on Friday and Saturday.
We?ll have sign in sheets for those wanting rides to these tours and a sign in sheet for anyone needing rides to/from their motels.

http://lovelandsculptureinthepark.com/benson-sculpture-garden.html

City web sites:
http://www.ci.loveland.co.us/index.aspx?page=1
http://www.visitftcollins.com/

Shopping malls near the motels:
http://www.thepromenadeshopsatcenterra.com/index.cfm
http://www.outletsatloveland.com/

My thanks go out to Bob and everybody else that have helped take up the slack after the loss of Russ & Carol Kamtz. Without your help LOE 2013 woulld have stumbled big time.

Weather not looking good for us

Weather not looking good at Loveland Friday and will hit Oklahoma Friday night and Saturday morning :(

LOE 2013 Fly-In
(tentative) Event Schedule
Friday
3:30pm ? 6:30pm Registration
5:30pm Beer Thirty! ? Wine / Beer / ? - $5 BBQ
8:30pm Last shuttles to the Candlewood Suites and Holiday Inn Express
Saturday
8:30am First shuttles from Candlewood Suites and Holiday Inn Express
10:00am ? 4:00pm Registration
12:00pm $5 BBQ Lunch
1:00pm Grimm Brothers Micro Brewery Tour
1:00pm Loveland Sculpture Park Tour
3:00pm Grimm Brothers Micro Brewery Tour
4:30pm Beer Thirty with Wine / Beer and good friends!
5:00pm Rocky Mountain Renegades Missing Man Formation Flight.
6:30pm Nordy?s BBQ Banquet
7:00pm Raffle Tickets LAST CALL!
7:15pm Raffle drawing following the banquet
8:00pm Shuttles begin to Candlewood Suites and Holiday Inn Express
Sunday
7:00am First shuttles from Candlewood Suites and Holiday Inn Express
Weather forcast:
Friday Rain and snow, mainly before noon. High near 40. Breezy, with a
north northwest wind 14 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance
of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch
possible. Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 28. Blustery,
with a north northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 8 to 13 mph in
the evening. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Saturday Sunny, with a
high near 56. Northwest wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 17 mph.
Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 33.Sunday Sunny, with a
high near 65.Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 39.
(a chance the weather may move farther north than expected)

Hi guys...........

Just to update my position on the donation I am making to the family.. Apparently the shut down of the guv has held up the check the NTSB was going to send me for my recovery and help on the inspection of N820RV. I have not received any funds from the insurance company either so I cannot present those checks to the family during the LOE fly in.... Sorry... I hope you guys have a fun and safe time down there this weekend...

For those who don't know my involvement, you can read these threads and it will explain all the details..

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63468

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63537

Fly safe...

Ben.

The previous post on the apron status was not clear to me. If someone comes up Saturday for an hour or so, will there be asphalt/concrete ramp space?

I avoid taxiing on unprepared surfaces.

The previous post on the apron status was not clear to me. If someone comes up Saturday for an hour or so, will there be asphalt/concrete ramp space?

I avoid taxiing on unprepared surfaces.

YES

I just came home from my FNL hangar and on the way out drove down by the ramp area to see how many planes were there. There are 3 areas from N-S, with the center one in front of the jet center being the one finishing up. They planned to do it first then move to the southernmost one, probably after LOE, then ?. I noticed they had started to work on the area to the east of the FBO hangar next to the jet center. That to me means they are close to finishing that center part to the west.

CTAF will direct you as to which taxiway to use and which parking area.

As of about 4:30PM, there appeared to be a few RVs on the south ramp, and one large motorhome in the terminal parking area. Right now south ramp area is being used for GA, and the North ramp area for jet traffic.

I'll be heading out there to work again in the morning and will take another look and maybe send update.

GH

Thanks GH. I saw the planned ramp issues and for phases 2 and 3, ramp space was marginal at worst and poor at best.

Snowing....

Snowing at 8500 feet here in pine.

Glad I made it home yesterday, looks like no VFR flying today in the Denver area. :( Snowing here in Littleton at the moment, only good thing is it's not sticking to anything, the ground is too warm. Tomorrow looks to be a good day though. Deb and I will be there sometime in the afternoon, plan to make a fall colors flight through the mountains in the morning, assuming reasonable mountain weather. :cool:

Regards,

Glad I made it home yesterday, looks like no VFR flying today in the Denver area. :( Snowing here in Littleton at the moment, only good thing is it's not sticking to anything, the ground is too warm. Tomorrow looks to be a good day though. Deb and I will be there sometime in the afternoon, plan to make a fall colors flight through the mountains in the morning, assuming reasonable mountain weather. :cool:

Regards,

Think positive Scotty...supposed to be a fast moving storm with improving weather from about noon on, I believe. I'm driving though, so no worries for me either way. Saturday should be nice....sunny and crisp. See you all out there.

Think positive Scotty...supposed to be a fast moving storm with improving weather from about noon on, I believe. I'm driving though, so no worries for me either way. Saturday should be nice....sunny and crisp. See you all out there.

You could be right Ron, looks like later this afternoon it might lift enough to allow some VFR type flying. :)

Snowshine

The sun is out at my house in Arvada, 5 south of KBJC...hang on...now it is snowing...wait, more sun...uh hang on.

Typical Colorado weather, but I agree with Ron D, or at least I hope he is correct.

Tomorrow should be clear, but cool.

9:30 am at KFNL it has turned VFR with an overcast. Everybody who decides to fly in today be safe and monitor the weather.

Russ Daves

Lots of work completed on the ramp at KFNL yesterday. It looks like everybody will be parked in the ramp. Be sure and bring your tie downs just to be on the safe side.

Russ Daves

I sent some pictures to DR and asked him to post them. Right now to the west of KFNL I can see the tops of the mountains with a little blue sky above.

PIREP @ 10:45am local. The sun is starting peak through, the clouds are slowly starting to break up (although still pretty socked in to the west over the 'rocks') and I see blue sky. This is looking out my office window next to the Boulder airport (slightly south of KFNL). Except for some possible winds later, I would expect improving conditions going forward. Fly safe.

CU Boulder Football TFR on Saturday, Oct. 5 starting at 3 pm local

This Saturday, October 5, 2013, there will be a TFR over Folsom Stadium in Boulder for the CU football game vs. Oregon. The TFR extends three nautical miles around Folsom Field, which includes Boulder Municipal Airport. Since kickoff is at 4 pm local, the TFR will begin at 3 pm local and end one hour after the game ends. As in past years, Denver Approach Control has provided a waiver to allow the airport to remain open during the TFR, but the waiver includes the following flight restrictions:

Local operators may arrive or depart by the most direct route away from the stadium;

No touch-and-go?s, airport pattern work or flight maneuvering within the TFR is authorized; and

All aircraft shall remain well clear of Folsom Field.

This was just sent out by the Boulder Airport Manager. I copied it here.

Dave

windy here

Out here on the plains the winds are pretty strong 28k gusting to 36k. I plan on flying early tomorrow and hopefully the winds will cooperate.

Isn't Boulder some distance SSW of KFNL?

I am not seeing the TFR yet on the FAA site.

Current KDEN TAF

FM050800 29012KT P6SM FEW120 SCT200
FM051700 33015G28KT P6SM FEW220

I did go out to FNL today to work but could not send an update as the wireless link to my hangar was down (wind blew antennas off).

So this is for about 5 PM Friday. Visibility improved, ceilings improved, but winds were bad today. The radio was fairly quiet all day. Only the big guys moving.

Not a single piece of construction equipment on the ramp area. The newly paved area looked great.

Hopefully tomorrow will be much better.

Texans: Come on up, get a free body temperature calibration! :)

GH

Isn't Boulder some distance SSW of KFNL?

I am not seeing the TFR yet on the FAA site.

Yeah, it's two airports south. But if someone is coming up from the south, and keeping close to the foothills for the view, they could easily crash it.

Since it's a football TFR, it doesn't show up on that site, I understand.

Dave

Looks like you have to stay at least 3000' ABOVE (AGL) the stadium but verify.

Frankly, flying that low in that area is something I avoid. I also avoid VFR flight corridors.

KFNL this morning - 8000 overcast with winds 250 at 8 knots.

Raffle tickets are waiting, come on up.

coming out to airport soon

Its 1100 and right now its beautiful at FNL. Jacket or sweat shirt weather.

I will be heading out to the airport soon to change some light bulbs in the hangar, hopefully meet up with some fellow Renegades later and then enjoy the company of whoever shows up at FNL. If you can get here today, even later, Sunday and Monday look to be fantastic days.

Chris M,

what it looks like....

Current time 11:20 am, 53* F and calm winds (picking up later in afternoon) and the pictures tell the rest....

Looking south panning left to the northwest

01%2520south-west-nwest.jpg

Nortwest panning left to the east

02%2520nwest-north-east.jpg

And east panning left back to the southwest

03%2520east-south-southwest.jpg

Pictures may not be the best. they were taken on Droid phone and first time using the panorama feature.

Last edited:
Pictures from today?

I would have loved to be at the LOE today, but still stuck in Michigan. How was the gathering? Did the weather hold up? I imaging it was a bit sobering as a result of the recent losses. I hope people had a good time and enjoyed the event.

I did not go. The forecast winds were too high and the cloud cover seemed iffy although I did not check the bases.

LOE

I would have loved to be at the LOE today, but still stuck in Michigan. How was the gathering? Did the weather hold up? I imaging it was a bit sobering as a result of the recent losses. I hope people had a good time and enjoyed the event.

Weather was beautiful but a but windy. I can't speak for those who flew in but Sweetie and I had a good time, ate good food, conversed with good friends, won a prize and met so many nice people. It was well worth the 150 mile drive from Estes Park. We can't complain about the drive as we planned a trip to Loveland anyway so we took advantage and stocked up. The drive was very pretty. Driving back in the morning after throwing a few quarters at the slots in Blackhawk.

Back