What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator/HS chord line trail

KMinor

I'm trying to decide whether or not to drill my elevator control horns before trimming the HS skin and freeing up the elevator at the counterweight arms. Is there a better way to check it than this? It can't be this easy.
69g9yc.jpg

Last edited:
I think I would wait to do the drilling, when both elevators are mounted, and freely swinging and adjustable. Use a drill bushing....and BE CAREFUL with edge distance.

How do the inboard trailing edges look with the outboards ends in trail like that? I don`t know how much difference it will make in the end but mine have about 3/8 difference between the inboard trailing edges with the balance horns in trail. I`ll look into the issue further later on in the build.

Check twice and drill once!

I'm going to have to rig up some way of aiming the laser level downward to check the inboard sides. In this picture, I set it on my drill press shelf, which cranks up and down and I just lucked out with the alignment. I think I'm going to measure for about a month before doing any drilling! I keep going back and forth over whether to drill before or after trimming those HS overlap tabs. Right now, I'm thinking of following the above advice and freeing up the elevators before drilling the control horns to make sure there are no binding problems. I'm still curious as to other methods to check the chord line.

Last edited:
Back