What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy... I loved it!!!

AJ85WA

Well Known Member
Ever since I started my Build I always read about everybody fearing the canopy and so much dislike for it.

I must admit, I just did my slider and man o man it was the most fun and rewarding part of the build thus far! Yes you have to be careful and use your grey matter a bit but it really is a piece of cake.

So anybody fearing to start, just get stuck into it :)
DSC01155-1.jpg

DSC01168.jpg

Aj85wa

Check out my posts if needed,
http://rv6aj.wordpress.com/

I got alot of help from searching the VAF pages and basically copied Brets way of doing things

http://www.flightinnovations.com/canopy.html

Ever since I started my Build I always read about everybody fearing the canopy and so much dislike for it.

I must admit, I just did my slider and man o man it was the most fun and rewarding part of the build thus far! Yes you have to be careful and use your grey matter a bit but it really is a piece of cake.

So anybody fearing to start, just get stuck into it :)

I got alot of help from searching the VAF pages and basically copied Brets way of doing

I agree. I enjoyed doing it maybe because it was a little more challenging due to the words of those that had gone before. It did make success much sweeter.

If you liked that then you have plenty more fun to go on your build because you are now journeying into many areas that require more "gray matter", as you put it.

As the great master obi wan kenobi once said, "Use the forum, Luke"

The first picture looks like a crime scene. ;)

What I thought would be tough project building usually were not.

Last edited:

Possibly, you haven't got to the rear skirt yet. ;)

Crime scene

haha crime scene hey...now that I look at it it looks like a episode of dexter ....lol

Rear skirt...mmm well i think im going the fibre glass way, should not be that hard, just a bit of patients :)

Cheers

Rear skirt...mmm well i think im going the fibre glass way, should not be that hard, just a bit of patients :)

Cheers

Hi AJ, your 6 is looking good. I would second the idea of going glass for the skirt, thats what I did and the finish is perfect, no gaps.
I also used #6 screws instead of pulled rivets to hold the canopy to frame.
I did use pulled rivets for the side skirt area.

Canopy

A.J I'm with ya, the canopy is lots of fun and I have not found it to be hard at all just takes patience. I started the skirts today and it looks like they will also turn out very nice. Guess I'll also do the aluminum windscreen fairings as well, especially after seeing what happened to the RV8 posted earlier this week.

Have fun :)

From the time I started my -6A I heard the worst jobs were the canopy and the tanks (in that order). As it turned out, the tanks were pretty much a walk in the park and the canopy - while stressful - was not that big a deal. You just need to take care. In my opinion the worst job on the airplane was the final attachment of the wings, followed closely by making the cowling fit properly. It took me nearly an entire winter's worth of weekends to get all 72 bolts into the wing spars (most of which seemed to hang up on the landing gear mounts). You guys who are building -7s don't know what you're missing!

Jim Bower
St. Louis
RV-6A N143DJ, flying since 8/2011

Last edited:
Dangerous

Haha crime scene, dexter, patients.....this thread is starting to sound weird:confused:

Lol you got me on that one my english is not the best.... South African originally:p

Back