What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Most Favorite Maintenance/Inspection Tasks

Tacco

Well Known Member
My most favorite FV-12 maintenance / annual tasks, in no particular order. I just finished my annual, time to rant. Don’t get excited my more uptight colleagues, tongue-in-cheek. Although, I dare one of you to say you actually enjoy these.
• Installing / reinstalling exhaust system springs.
• Anything gascolator; checking the bowl, getting the bowl off, safety wiring the screws….geez
• Anything that requires me to lean into the baggage compartment, especially to peer into the tail cone for any reason.
• Removing the seat pan, which requires loosening the tension barrels, removing an obscene number of screws, tensioning the barrels, …and , wait for it… leaning into the tail cone to measure the tension.
• Balancing the carbs. Although I’m getting pretty good at it.
• Anything that requires removing the avionics bay cover.
• Installing / removing wheel pants, …wheel pants… unnecessary and cosmetic appendages.
• Phillips head screws. Just curious, why can’t ALL Phillips head screws be replaced with Torx?
• Setting the prop pitch. OMG. Why can’t we have a one-piece non-adjustable prop set at 71.4 degrees…or what ever the **** the number is.
OK…I feel better now.

Before anyone mentions that the 12i fixed some of these...don't go there. I had just mated my fuselage to the tail cone when the 12i was announced at Oshkosh.

You bet, at least on ELSA or EAB. One of the local guys has done it. I’ll see if I can find the info he gave me about the source. McMaster doesn’t have them.

Oh, and removing the baggage bulkhead has to be an even bigger PITA than the seat pan. I don’t know how many of those screws I’ve had to drill the heads off of. :(

Per the Maintenance Manual, this is an authorized substitution, so I assume acceptable on an S-LSA too.

Attachments

• 4FE3F1BB-EDBF-45D4-8361-C309ECA888D9.jpeg
    4FE3F1BB-EDBF-45D4-8361-C309ECA888D9.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 345
My most favorite FV-12 maintenance / annual tasks, in no particular order. I just finished my annual, time to rant. Don’t get excited my more uptight colleagues, tongue-in-cheek. Although, I dare one of you to say you actually enjoy these.
• Anything gascolator; checking the bowl, getting the bowl off, safety wiring the screws….geez
• Anything that requires me to lean into the baggage compartment, especially to peer into the tail cone for any reason.
• Removing the seat pan, which requires loosening the tension barrels, removing an obscene number of screws, tensioning the barrels, …and , wait for it… leaning into the tail cone to measure the tension.
• Installing / removing wheel pants, …wheel pants… unnecessary and cosmetic appendages.
• Phillips head screws. Just curious, why can’t ALL Phillips head screws be replaced with Torx?
• Setting the prop pitch. OMG. Why can’t we have a one-piece non-adjustable prop set at 71.4 degrees…or what ever the **** the number is.
OK…I feel better now.

Before anyone mentions that the 12i fixed some of these...don't go there. I had just mated my fuselage to the tail cone when the 12i was announced at Oshkosh.

Hi Steve, I am in complete solidarity with you, all those same things make me squirm at annual time. I can say that transitioning to the 3-blade sensenich was great because you can remove the entire prop without disturbing any of the blade adjustments. The price you pay is that it's much more difficult to remove the lower cowl with the prop installed. Oh well, enjoyed reading your list and knowing we are all in this together! I do appreciate the relative simplicity of maintaining the RV-12, but each year it's a little more challenging on this old body! Paul

you can get button head allen screws for the gascolator and use those Nord Lock locking washers on those too, as on the hub of the propeller, instead of safety wiring the screws.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/nordlockwedgewashers.php

Also pull the valve at the bottom, put in 1/4" threaded nipple from a plumbing supply house, with a T handle and it makes removal of the Gascolator a whole lot easier. Even then, it's still a Royal PIA.

Differing view point.......

An easy way is to use a length of safety wire formed in a loop and clamped in vice grip pliers. Hook the loop on one end of the spring and use the pliers as a handle to stretch and hook or unhook the spring.
Being strategic with how you orient each spring can make it even easier
(position the spring so that the easy to access end is the one that will allow engaging the hooked end from the outside.

The key is venting the bowl by either removing the quick drain from the bottom first or holding it open while you pull off the bowl. Using a small amount of DC4 (dow corning #4 silicone grease) on the o-ring at installation helps as well.

It is what it is

No need to un-tension the pitch control cables. When it comes time to reinstall the cover, pulling straight up on the co-pilots stick will flex the mount structure and bring the screw holes into alignment.

Not really a big deal once some experience is acquired.

Can't disagree but on newer version of the RV-12 with a large screen (particularly with dual screens), simple removing the screen(s) provides access for just about anything you would need to do in there.

Not much different than any other aircraft (certified or non-certified) with wheel pants. Good for an additional 3-4 kts. Owners choice on whether it is worth it or not.

They can be if you want them to be.

OK…I feel better now.

Because not everyone (actually a lot don't) uses a pitch setting of 71.4 degrees

Not really a C.I. issue but my "favorite" op is getting those @#$% washers to stay put during the stabilator (re)install.
I have vowed to get, or make, one of those washer holder thingies for the next time.
I really need to address that since I mixed up the thickness combo (after they fell off several times) and the stab is slightly offset from center due to that

Hello Scott. I was expecting your response. I know most of these, my list doesn’t change much considering them. Two that are new to me though. Holding the stick aft to install the panel. Sounds like an invitation to frustration. Or the need to grow a third arm. How difficult is it really? Are you concerned about the flexing of the associated structure?

Does Van’s support use of Torx in other locations beyond interior panels, like exterior access panels, cowling, spinner, etc?

Another mentioned above sounds intriguing, Nord Locks on the Gascolator - does Van’s support this as well?

Lastly, I think we need a poll conducted here, 71.4 or something else?

Hello Scott. I was expecting your response. I know most of these, my list doesn’t change much considering them. Two that are new to me though. Holding the stick aft to install the panel. Sounds like an invitation to frustration. Or the need to grow a third arm. How difficult is it really? Are you concerned about the flexing of the associated structure?

Does Van’s support use of Torx in other locations beyond interior panels, like exterior access panels, cowling, spinner, etc?

Another mentioned above sounds intriguing, Nord Locks on the Gascolator - does Van’s support this as well?

Lastly, I think we need a poll conducted here, 71.4 or something else?

Advice and tips I post are based on 14+ years of experience building and maintaining RV-12's. It seems pretty regular that when I post a tip or suggesting, someone questions it like it is a trick or something.:rolleyes:

No, there is no danger of flexing the associated structure in a way that could cause a problem. If I thought there was, I assure you I wouldn't suggest it.
If you do what you wrote though, you might experience a lot of frustration because i didn't say to "Hold the stick aft"

What I said was "When it comes time to reinstall the cover, pulling straight up on the co-pilots stick will flex the mount structure and bring the screw holes into alignment."
It is not hard.
Lay a powered screw gun close by on the floor
Pull straight up on the co-pilots stick.
While pulling upward on the stick insert a screw into one of the holes associated with the stick mounting brackets, and reach for the screw gun and run the screw in.
Done
That one screw will maintain the alignment and allow you to install the rest of the screws.

I could be wrong, but I think this is detailed in the maintenance manual somewhere.

You own an experimental aircraft... you can use torx screws anywhere you choose.

Nord Locks... Its an experimental aircraft...........

Scott, I didn't mean to infer you were trying to trick anyone. And I appreciate your experience, that's why I post questions here.

I realize I can make modifications to my experimental aircraft. But that doesn't mean I should. There are some of us maintaining our experimental aircraft by closely adhering to the Van's MM and the SLSA configuration to preserve its resale value.

Using the seemingly minor Phillips vs Torx screw thing as an example: The MM allows the substitution for interior panels. Was there a reason they weren't approved for elsewhere? Heck if I know. So, I asked the question.

Can't find your floor plan installation tip in the MM. I'll try it next time.

The propellor question was completely facetious. But I'm guessing Van's didn't choose the ground adjustable propeller to give us the option of fooling around with the pitch. No one makes a fixed pitch propeller optimized for the RV-12 or any other Rotax LSA for that matter. Not economic for them to do so.

a heads up for panel screws...........torx work great but don't get sucked into using #6 allen head screws. sooner or later you will have a problem and will be sayin' ''if i get this screw out i promise i will never ever use one again.]]

A couple of comments

The Fastenal 0175181 Torx screws are $0.1929 ea. at the online catalog vs $0.10 ea. for the AN526C832-R8 Phillips, if that matters. Currently, Fastenal are out of stock on the Torx.

In considering going over to the Torx screws, I doubt that I will. I have 12 years of maintaining my -12 and have never stripped one of those AN screws badly enough to where I had to drill it out. I use a quality hand tool (Wilha) to break the screw loose and then run them out with a power driver and quality bit.

The gascolator screws are indeed a PIA. I'm a little unsure of the Nord Locks in this application but am going to try Allen screws and Nord Locks on the back screws (the hard ones) and the drilled screws with safety wire on the front screws which are easy to get to. If the Nord Locks screws loosen it would not matter as the bowl is sealed by the O-ring and the safetied screws will keep the bowl retention bracket in place. If, with experience, the Nord Locks stay secure, I'll consider using them at all 4 screws.

Regarding the prop, if you really want a fixed pitch optimized for your plane, I'm pretty sure you could order one made by someone like Catto. There is hearsay that they are considering a 2-blade fixed pitch for the -12. It would probably not be much more than the Sensenich ground adjustable. They already make the RV-12 3-blade fixed pitch. Problem there is you have to order the Sensenich for an original ELSA build. I don't know if there is a market for a used Sensenich, but I think there must be. For most of us I think a fixed pitch would be the best option -- easier installation, better balance and reduced maintenance.

Can someone explain this installation issue. I have had mine on and off many times, never ran into anything that required a "tip". Am I doing something wrong?

Walt, when you tension the stabilator cables, it tends to pull the bulkheads out of place. These are the ones in the vicinity of the pulleys and stick assembly attachment points. In fact, there is a note in the MM to ensure the seat pan is in place before tensioning the barrels on the cables. If the seat pan were not installed, and the cable in tension, there would be many screw holes that wouldn’t line up.

If you have removed and reinstalled your seat pan and not had this problem, recommend you check your cable tension, 35-45 lbs I think.

• Anything gascolator; checking the bowl, getting the bowl off, safety wiring the screws….geez.

I replaced the safety wire of the gascolator bowl by adequate Nordlock washers.
Reinstalling the bowl has become much easier now.

Walt, when you tension the stabilator cables, it tends to pull the bulkheads out of place. These are the ones in the vicinity of the pulleys and stick assembly attachment points. In fact, there is a note in the MM to ensure the seat pan is in place before tensioning the barrels on the cables. If the seat pan were not installed, and the cable in tension, there would be many screw holes that wouldn’t line up.

If you have removed and reinstalled your seat pan and not had this problem, recommend you check your cable tension, 35-45 lbs I think.

I have checked cable tension from behind the baggage bulkhead on 2 annuals now. I do it with the seat pan in place all screws tight.
This was June 2021, but never noticed any issue putting the seat pan on and off.

FC870815-A229-4D10-B97D-8A016E36C257.jpg

I replaced the safety wire of the gascolator bowl by adequate Nordlock washers.
Reinstalling the bowl has become much easier now.

I have done the same using Nordlock washers, and changed to Allen head cap screws. I safety wired the front screws just because and they are easy to get to. I could not find drilled screws so I drilled them myself for the front ones.

OK…I feel better now.

It would be very cool if Van's manufacturered a 71.4-degree tool for our Sensenich props. Our props came with a two-sided tool that you can stick into a hole in the prop hub to get the blades set up correctly. However, whatever setting that tool allowed for, 71.4 wasn't one of them. I also don't know how accurate they would be.

It would be very cool if Van's manufacturered a 71.4-degree tool for our Sensenich props. Our props came with a two-sided tool that you can stick into a hole in the prop hub to get the blades set up correctly. However, whatever setting that tool allowed for, 71.4 wasn't one of them. I also don't know how accurate they would be.

Yes, that would be cool. I think that has been discussed here before. If memory serves, it was not thought as accurate as the current approach (?)

Back