What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Rudder Fit Help (R-411)

kjowen

Well Known Member
Guys,
Instead of waiting until the end to do all fiberglass, I thought I would get some experience by finishing the empennage kit completely. My issue is the fit of the rudder boot specifically around the rudder horn (R-405PD). I mucked up the 1st one and have sense ordered a 2nd R-411. In the mean time, I am trying to learn how to assemble this piece properly. Any suggesting or help would be appreciated.
I am wedging the aft tip into the skin and on the outside of the attach strips. Then rotate the tip up to final placement.
As you can see, there are some significant gaps due to having enough clearance to attach the tip. How are others filling this gap?
Also the spar flanges bow the tip outward putting it in a tension state if I was to force it flush with the skin. It also says nothing about attaching the tip to the horn brace, which appears absolutely necessary.
P.S. sorry the pictures are turned...

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

Rudder bottom cap

I cut the offending section that bows out. Then layed up new material using Dan's "Scarf Joint" method. However, mine is different from Vans plan. It slides on from aft forward instead of bottom up. Photo should explain pretty well.
20200813_102914.jpg

You'll need to trim some of the forward portion to get clearance for the rod-end bolt and nut, so just trim that down now.
Put a pop rivet in the horn brace if you need to pull the fairing in.
Make sure it is straight and aligned with the rudder trailing edge. Mine was canted and I had to square it up. Sand the edges and the horn cutout to get a nice even edge with the skins as necessary.
Other than that, you look fine.
Once on the VS and plane, you'll hardly notice that faring. The old designs didn't cover the horn with the brace, so you could see right through that area.

Last edited:
Don't get ahead of yourself here. The rudder fairing can have some interference with the fuselage, so my recommendation is to wait before putting time into fitting this.

two piece modified R-411

I modified the bottom fairing to a two piece design, with the front piece removable. Partially cut to match the rudder horn contour, then laid up a flange inside the fairing before completing the cut.

Trimmed the flange and added #6 plate nuts for front fairing attachment.

Then fitted the fairing by sliding it forward to fit around the rudder horn. The horn brace is straight at its aft side, so the fairing must be flexed around it to sit flush against the horn brace and skin.

Attachments

• empennage_2017-09-02_01.png
    empennage_2017-09-02_01.png
    723.3 KB · Views: 337
  • empennage_2017-09-02_05.png
    empennage_2017-09-02_05.png
    773.4 KB · Views: 356
Back