What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filter adaptor

N941WR

Legacy Member
A friend built up an O-320 from bits and pieces and is just about ready for his first engine start.

He added a horizontal oil filter adaptor to his engine and is asking about which filter to use. As it turns out the adaptor doesn't have a male threaded piece sticking out of it to spin the filter on to. (See image below.)

Is this a common adaptor or is a part missing. If it is common, what oil filter should he order?

looking%2Bat%2Bback%2Bof%2Boil%2Badapter%2Bwithout%2Bfilter.jpg

I do not know, but this is important.
Oil filters come with both male and female threads, and also with or without built in bypass valves. If the adaptor does not have a bypass then make sure to use a filter that does.

IIRC, there are three threads used on the filters. There is a Long and Short filter with each type of thread. IIRC, there is only ONE Long and ONE Short filter that use the Male thread. I know that CH48111-1 is one of the Champion filters that uses a Male Thread nipple to screw into the female thread adapter.

Check the chart Aircraft Spruce has for Tempest Oil Filters. From that chart, you should be able to determine which filter number matches the thread size your adapter has. IIRC, the five digit number is interchangeable with Champion and Tempest.

My guess is that your adapter has 3/4-16 thread and uses the Tempest AA48111 or AA48110-2 Filters. The AA48111 is the LONG filter. I prefer the short filter on my RV.

If you are going to use a NAPA auto oil filter, ask them (NAPA) about the adapter that will change the mount to use a female oil filter.

Different filter number

Double check me but the champion 48108,48109 has the nipple, the 48110 has no nipple. If that's a Casper labs adapter Spruces site shows the first numbers as applicable for that adapter. I believe the 109 is shorter than the 108.
Tim

Yes it does...

Double check me but the champion 48108,48109 has the nipple, the 48110 has no nipple. If that's a Casper labs adapter Spruces site shows the first numbers as applicable for that adapter. I believe the 109 is shorter than the 108.
Tim

The Champion 48110 does have a nipple and is a standard one to use if you have the Lycoming filter adapter...

CH_48110.jpg

So does the Tempest one...

TEMPEST_AA48110-2.jpg

What confuses me is that the Champion 48110-1 cross references to the Tempest 48110-2 - why the different dash numbers?

Last edited:
Lycoming document SSP-885 details installation of the straight-back oil filter adapter on the accessory case. It also specifies the Champion filter part number CH-48110 and the longer CH-48111 filters are appropriate for use with this adapter. Link here:
http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/EMOFK.pdf

The male threaded nipple you referenced is built into the 48110 filter, and the adapter is female. The photo you attached looks correct.

Champion's current designation for the CH-48110 has a -1 behind it. Perhaps a manufacturing revision at one point. Tempest's equivalent simply has a -2 behind it. Manufacturer preference, I guess. The important thing is there is a paperwork trail to show equivalency when using the Tempest filter, and that both Champion 48110-1 and Tempest 48110-2 are appropriate.

Last edited:
What confuses me is that the Champion 48110-1 cross references to the Tempest 48110-2 - why the different dash numbers?

I read on the Aircraft Spruce web site Q & A that the dash number is just the latest version of that particular filter.

The adapter in question looks exactly like the one in this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45548&highlight=oil+filter+adapter

The first picture has text and a line pointing to the relief valve. I believe the small, tear drop plate looking gizmo on the left in the second picture is the relief valve itself.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, Tempest uses the -2 just because it seems like the next generation from -1. There was never a -1 tempest, so its all marketing from my perspective.

From what I can tell, Tempest uses the -2 just because it seems like the next generation from -1. There was never a -1 tempest, so its all marketing from my perspective.

Of course! It's a -2 because that's one better than a -1. Champion "only" has a -1 :D

FYI the 48108 has a female thread as well as an internal pressure relief valve and anti-drainback valve. These filters are commonly used when the TAF-L filter adapter is added to small Continentals.

BTW, after cutting open a Tempest and a Champion 48110 filter there seems precious little difference between them in terms of internal construction. Then again, these old eyeballs can't see down to the micron level to really know if there is any difference in their filtration capacities.

Back