What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan X540 coming to Oshkosh...

Relentless

Well Known Member
Here is a brand new Titan 540 ready to go to Oshkosh. We will be accepting deposits for these at Oshkosh for late fall deliveries. This is our stocker version, 275hp X540 with traditional components. We won't have the R Series version test run by Oshkosh but it should go on test stand after we return with new AX50 components. The "stocker" weights in at 404lbs, we estimate the R Series to be about 45lbs lighter! We also expect close to 330hp on a R540 with EFii system based on our R409 results. Any questions?:D

33u964x.jpg

I'm sure anyone interested in the subject is curious about pricing, which doesn't appear to be published on the website.

Do tell...

Titan X540 Pricing.....

I'm sure anyone interested in the subject is curious about pricing, which doesn't appear to be published on the website.

Do tell...

Sue Gregor will announce during Oshkosh. I promised I would not steal her thunder and let the price out early. I will however guarantee you won't be ordering your 540 through Vans! :cool:

Won't be thinking about an engine for quite a while, but I like seeing this. Look forward to seeing it at OSH;)

I'm in the same boat, won't need one for a few years but I'll be hanging around the booth for info because I like the sound of this project!

It looks like the X540 is a bit heavier than a D4A5 (378 lbs). Is that due to accessories or is there something different about this engine that makes it heavier?

Thanks,
David

Is Titan/ECI making 540 cases and cranks or are those Lyc bits? I'm a little behind, but the HRII will be needing something like this in a couple years. Already in negotiations for an EFII system :)

titan 540

Is Titan/ECI making 540 cases and cranks or are those Lyc bits? I'm a little behind, but the HRII will be needing something like this in a couple years. Already in negotiations for an EFII system :)

Titan does not use any Lycoming parts in our engines. :mad:

It looks like the X540 is a bit heavier than a D4A5 (378 lbs). Is that due to accessories or is there something different about this engine that makes it heavier?

Thanks,
David

Great question. I have taken a bit of a different tact in publishing weights, hp, and torque of our engines. I weight every engine right after it comes off the dyno, only draining the oil as our empty weight. The only item not on our engines during the empty weight is maybe the alternator and exhaust. The last xio540 we weighed for Vertical Aviation for their helicopter was 393lbs. This had starter, AFP200, and all other accessories and special parts for the Hummingbird without oil.....

Last edited:
How do you get 275 hp out of the X540?
Is it higher compression, is it breathing better, different cam profile, ignition....? Curious minds want to know.

Thanks,

Titan 540 hp

We actually can provide a range of hp options with our 540. As an experimental only engine, we have improved hp with performance cam, pistons, compression, and few other secrets developed by Bart LaLonde over many years.

I wish I were in Oshkosh talking about this new 540. There are a couple friends who are building my RV10 with me and going to get all the details. I'm very excited and can't wait to talk about the new future engine !

Back