What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NIC 100% Baro Altitude Failure

PilotCR3

Hello all,

Chasing down settings for my GTN750 and my GTX330es, PAR report showing 100% failure on the BALt which makes me think it's a configuration error.

GTX330ES RS-232 input to be set at REMOTE and the output is REMOTE w/TIS for both channels

I’ve tried setting the GTN settings to ADS-B+ for RS-232 output, but I do not know what RS-232 input should be selected.
(note: I’ve read elsewhere to set RS-232 input/output to Panel GTX w/TIS #1 but this did not fix the problem either)

Any configuration guru's out there that can help me out?

Hello all,

Chasing down settings for my GTN750 and my GTX330es, PAR report showing 100% failure on the BALt which makes me think it's a configuration error.

GTX330ES RS-232 input to be set at REMOTE and the output is REMOTE w/TIS for both channels

I’ve tried setting the GTN settings to ADS-B+ for RS-232 output, but I do not know what RS-232 input should be selected.
(note: I’ve read elsewhere to set RS-232 input/output to Panel GTX w/TIS #1 but this did not fix the problem either)

Any configuration guru's out there that can help me out?
Hello,

I think you are telling us that the "Missing Elements" section of your PAPR report is indicating that there is a 100% failure in the transmission of Baro Altitude (BAlt) from your aircraft.

PAPR MissingElements.png

What device in your aircraft is providing pressure altitude (BAlt) to your GTX 330ES and how is it connected/configured?

Steve

I found this combing thru the forums, I'm looking for this information but for the GTN750, I can not find this in the install manual, was hoping someone knows what manual it is from, or can just provide me with the settings required for the GTN->GTX

gns480-X2.png

Yes sir that's correct, the BALt is 100% under the missing elements.

The GTX is wired to a GSU73 and a GTN750.
Thanks, this is useful information.

The GTN 750 has nothing to do with providing altitude data to the GTX 330ES.

The GSU 73 provides altitude data to the GTX 330ES over this RS-232 connection.

GSU73 to GTX.png

As explained on page 28-7 of the Rev. AP G3X/G3X Touch installation manual, RS-232 #1 on the GTX 330ES should be configured for "REMOTE" on the Input and "REMOTE + TIS" on the Output.

No configuration of the GSU 73 RS-232 #3 is required.

Steve

I found this combing thru the forums, I'm looking for this information but for the GTN750, I can not find this in the install manual, was hoping someone knows what manual it is from, or can just provide me with the settings required for the GTN->GTX
As mentioned in the previous posting, your GTN 750 is not the source of the described problem since it does not provide altitude data to the GTX 330ES, but page 27-32 of the Rev. AP G3X/G3X Touch installation manual provides this guidance for configuring the RS-232 ports on the GTN and GTX.

GTN 6XX/7XX, GNS 4XXW/5XXW (WHEN ADS-B OUT IS BEING PROVIDED TO ES TRANSPONDER)

A.ON THE GTN/GNS RS-232 CONFIG MODE PAGE SET SET RS-232 OUTPUT FORMAT TO "ADS-B+" OR "ADS-B+ FORMAT 1" FOR RS-232 PORT CONNECTED TO TRANSPONDER RS-232 IN CHANNEL 2

B. ON THE GTX 33ES/330ES RS-232 CONFIG MODE PAGE SET SET RS-232 INPUT FORMAT TO "REMOTE" FOR RS-232 CHANNEL 2 CONNECTED TO GTN/GNS ADS-B+ OUTPUT

Steve

As mentioned in the previous posting, your GTN 750 is not the source of the described problem since it does not provide altitude data to the GTX 330ES, but page 27-32 of the Rev. AP G3X/G3X Touch installation manual provides this guidance for configuring the RS-232 ports on the GTN and GTX.

A.ON THE GTN/GNS RS-232 CONFIG MODE PAGE SET SET RS-232 OUTPUT FORMAT TO "ADS-B+" OR "ADS-B+ FORMAT 1" FOR RS-232 PORT CONNECTED TO TRANSPONDER RS-232 IN CHANNEL 2

B. ON THE GTX 33ES/330ES RS-232 CONFIG MODE PAGE SET SET RS-232 INPUT FORMAT TO "REMOTE" FOR RS-232 CHANNEL 2 CONNECTED TO GTN/GNS ADS-B+ OUTPUT

Steve

Does anything need to be set for the arinc429 settings on the transponder? Couldn’t find that in the manual? Did a test flight and still having issues.

Does anything need to be set for the arinc429 settings on the transponder? Couldn’t find that in the manual? Did a test flight and still having issues.
Nothing that would be used by the transponder for ADS-B Out.

Some older installations might be using an A429 output from the GTX to the GTN for mostly obsolete TIS-A traffic. Obsolete because ADS-B traffic is superior to TIS-A traffic in every way.

What issues are you still having?

Steve

The G3X Manual linked above instructed the GTN to be on

A.ON THE GTN 6XX/7XX RS-232 CONFIG PAGE
SET RS-232 CHANNEL 1 INPUT AND OUTPUT FORMATS TO "PANEL GTX w/TIS #1"

when doing that, I received the "No ADS-B" message on the transponder, so I switched it to ADS-B+ as you instructed, but still receiving the BALt failure. I believe it might be because I changed it then took right back off, so the PAR report could have the flights confused. I will fly again tomorrow to check, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything needed in ARINC field on the transponder, I'll just set it to off.

The G3X Manual linked above instructed the GTN to be on

A.ON THE GTN 6XX/7XX RS-232 CONFIG PAGE
SET RS-232 CHANNEL 1 INPUT AND OUTPUT FORMATS TO "PANEL GTX w/TIS #1"

when doing that, I received the "No ADS-B" message on the transponder, so I switched it to ADS-B+ as you instructed, but still receiving the BALt failure. I believe it might be because I changed it then took right back off, so the PAR report could have the flights confused. I will fly again tomorrow to check, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything needed in ARINC field on the transponder, I'll just set it to off.
Just so there is no confusion on what is needed to transmit ADS-B+ GPS data from the GTN to the GTX 330ES, here is a repeat of the guidance provided above from page 27-32 of the Rev. AP G3X/G3X Touch installation manual.

Keep in mind that the missing BAlt data may be a wiring problem, not a configuration problem.

When you go into the transponder configuration page on the PFD (in config mode), does it show a green check mark at the bottom (indicating good communication between the GSU 73 and the GTX 330ES)?

Transponder Configuration GTX330ES.png

Steve

It does not, it was actually set to “none” but when I select Gtx330es it has a red X over “not receiving transponder data”

It does not, it was actually set to “none” but when I select Gtx330es it has a red X over “not receiving transponder data”

A setting of "None" and one way communication from the GSU 73 to the GTX 330ES is fine if you don't want to be able to tune the GTX 330ES transponder code from the GDU.

We know from our separate messaging communication that you now have your BAlt problem solved.

Steve

Balt Failure again

Good Afternoon,

Chasing down a bALT failure again, just replaced my static instruments with a G5 for a standby. Not sure if this is connected, but it has created a configuration error again. The GTN750 displays a warning message saying "Barometric altitude lost"

On the GTX330ES, it is still set for REMOTE and REMOTE + TIS.

My RS232 settings on the GTN750 are as follows
1: MapMX format 2 In/Out
2: GMA Format 1 In/Out
3: No Input, ADS-B+ output
4. Connex Format 2 in/out

Good Afternoon,

Chasing down a bALT failure again, just replaced my static instruments with a G5 for a standby. Not sure if this is connected, but it has created a configuration error again. The GTN750 displays a warning message saying "Barometric altitude lost"

On the GTX330ES, it is still set for REMOTE and REMOTE + TIS.

My RS232 settings on the GTN750 are as follows
1: MapMX format 2 In/Out
2: GMA Format 1 In/Out
3: No Input, ADS-B+ output
4. Connex Format 2 in/out

The GTN 750 (A429 In 1A/1B) receives baro altitude from the GSU 73 (A429 Out 1A/1B) over ARINC 429, not RS-232.

See page 28-11 of the Rev. AP G3X Touch Installation manual for wiring and configuration guidance for this interface.

GSU73 to GTN750.png

Steve

Back