What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closed Cell foam to seal the baggage door?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Some have said it wasn't necessary, but I'm going to try.*Am I correct that the "closed cell foam" in question can be something as simple as the foam from a pool noodle? All it has to do is wedge in there and resist water, right? For those of you who have installed foam there, did you attempt to fix it in place somehow, or just trust friction to retain it?

You might try just cutting a piece or two from the wheel assembly packaging (the black foam). Stack if needed. Cut it a little proud and it will stay in place.

Carl

I bought a roll of rectangular shaped closed cell foam with adhesive on one side and wedged them in between the hinge and the support flange. It's available in the correct size, and I'm sorry but I don't remember where I got it.

I used rigid closed cell insulation board that I had laying around the shop. I also fabricated an aluminum angle and riveted it to the door hinge support to help hold the foam in and to give it a more finished look.

Attachments

• LKRV8-F1829.jpg
    LKRV8-F1829.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 168
  • LKRV8-F1831.jpg
    LKRV8-F1831.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 255
Back