What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing Hardware

50Pesos

The locking nylock nuts that hold the brakes on I'd like to use all metal nuts. I am trying to convert AN365-428. Not knowing all the right shear and torsion requirements has me paused but I think ms21043-4 hex nuts might do the trick but I'm not 100% about the finish. Is there and easy to use chart or reference to do this right?

You're better off getting the MS21042 nuts instead, since that specification explicitly says that it is interchangeable with AN365 nuts, which the nut you mentioned does not. As for finish, Aircraft Spruce offers these as either dry or lubed nuts and I think I'd be leaning towards the lubed ones -- provided I could find an appropriate torque spec for those; it should be less than for the dry ones. If I could not, by all means get the dry ones. In either case, you'll need to add the running torque to the specified torque. For the dry ones, Chapter 5, page 05-20 (at least in the revision I have) has torque for those, and specifies 85 inch pounds.

You'll even save a bit of weight with these.

Dave

Lock Nuts

AN363 or MS21045-4 are the best. They have very narrow slots that allow symmetrical locking grip on bolts. MS21042 has a slightly oval end which does not grip the bolt as well and does not survive many re uses.

Back