What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Nut

SeanB

Well Known Member
Hi,
Servicing the tailwheel assembly before first flight. All is happy with fresh grease and no burrs on the pin. Wondering how much to tighten the top nut. Just enough to remove any up and down play, or torque it tight? My yoke has a bearing in the bottom. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 233
Tighten it until all/most of the slop is gone *AND* the assembly still pivots easily.

Morning Sean,
I believe you have a JD Air tailwheel yoke. This yoke uses a Belleville washer under the nut to eliminate play from the control arm. You can find an assembly drawing on JD Air website.
I have your identical setup on my 14 minus the tapered pins. Would like to hear about your installation of these pins.

Hey T Mac,

I had an assist with a local machine shop getting the tapered pins cut. There is a very good write-up, with the needed pins and tapered reamers that I used, from Flyboy Accessories. May be on their site still or on their forum. It can be done on your own. Just be careful when you are getting close to finished with the taper. A little bit makes a big difference.

Hello Sean,

Thanks for your reply! In my case there is some issue from either the yoke or tail spring resulting in the tail wheel being set on a slight angle. Also, there is more clearance between the tail spring O.D. and yoke I.D. than I would like. Properly set tapered pins will definitely fix the angled tail wheel and would (at least) mask the loose fit between the tail spring and yoke. I’m curious if you had both issues also?

Terrence McCall

Terrence,

I installed taper pins proactively. Have not flown this plane yet. I've read that over time the traditional bolt setup could loosen some. Taper pins just allow me to tighten more if that occurs.

Hey Sean, Great news you are getting close to first flight! I cant wait to see pictures and video!!

Thanks, Rocky! Getting really real now. Need TW endorsement though. Happy to hear you are enjoying yours! Maybe we can meet up sometime in between home bases.

Back