What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 650 Comm radio on G3X

Dave S

My 650 Comm radio is not showing up on my G3X screen. I will get a 'RX' indicator when I tuned the radio directly on the 650 to the local ASOS, and I get TX indicator as well as carrier only when I try to transmit on that radio.

My set up;

GTN 650Xi (Navigator & Comm 1)
GDU 460 (G3X screen)
GTR-20 remote radio (Comm 2)
GMA 245 (Intercom)

My wiring diagram was done by SteinAir. I have double checked and I have pins in all the correct places, as to whether the correct pins are in the correct place I am going to check next, but I was hoping someone might have had this issue and can help me narrow down my search.

I am assuming I have pins crossed somewhere but is it possible I have my set up incorrect on the G3X.

This is likely a configuration issue with the G3X Touch and/or the GTN.

Do you have the installation manual handy? The settings are described on Page 27-41 in the AP revision of the G3X Installation Guide.

Brian,

I had checked this from a 'cheat sheet' I'll double check using the manual, thank you for the direct reference, before I start tracing wires.

Being that the frequencies didn't come across the G3X, but the TX, RX coupled with carrier only when trying to transmit, I assumed I had wires crossed.

COM Radio Assignment

My 650 Comm radio is not showing up on my G3X screen. I will get a 'RX' indicator when I tuned the radio directly on the 650 to the local ASOS, and I get TX indicator as well as carrier only when I try to transmit on that radio.

My set up;

GTN 650Xi (Navigator & Comm 1)
GDU 460 (G3X screen)
GTR-20 remote radio (Comm 2)
GMA 245 (Intercom)

My wiring diagram was done by SteinAir. I have double checked and I have pins in all the correct places, as to whether the correct pins are in the correct place I am going to check next, but I was hoping someone might have had this issue and can help me narrow down my search.

I am assuming I have pins crossed somewhere but is it possible I have my set up incorrect on the G3X.

Good Morning,

Boot your system up into configuration mode, and touch the tile titled COM. Do you have the GTN assigned as COM1 here (it will be identified by the serial port the GTN's MAPMX line is connected to)?

Thanks,

Justin

Gentlemen,

Thank you. I have it working now. I can't say for sure I had configuration wrong, since I broke the trouble shooting rule and started playing with other settings at the same time.

I also found 2 pins in the wrong spot (7 & 9). Net result it shows up and transmits as well as receives.

Thanks again

GTN COM Assignment

Gentlemen,

Thank you. I have it working now. I can't say for sure I had configuration wrong, since I broke the trouble shooting rule and started playing with other settings at the same time.

I also found 2 pins in the wrong spot (7 & 9). Net result it shows up and transmits as well as receives.

Thanks again

Dave,

Please feel free to reach out to us directly at [email protected] if you are unable to track down the culprit, we are happy to walk through the troubleshooting process with you.

Thanks,

Justin

Back