Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:42 PM

Default Oshkosh Notam 2022

The Oshkosh Notam is out.

If you plan on flying in please read and understand it.

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/Ai...res-NOTAM.ashx
Old 05-24-2022, 08:07 PM

Looks very similar to last years procedure. Sweet!!!
Old 05-24-2022, 08:13 PM

Default OSH NOTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
The Oshkosh Notam is out.

If you plan on flying in please read and understand it.

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/Ai...res-NOTAM.ashx
This will be my 34th year volunteering at OSH. The phrase I seem to use the most: "Didn't you read the NOTAM?" I carry a copy with me and when they say "That wasn't in there!" I can pull out my copy and show them.

There are WEEKS until convention. PLENTY of time to download it, print it out and read it. The approach and departure maps are a must to know as well, especially if you have not flown there too many times. With all the times I have flown in, the approach maps sit on my knee board and are highlighted. All frequencies you need are right there.

PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Save yourself from having "That Conversation" with me or another volunteer.....

Oh: and if you want to know what it is like to bring pilots into the World's Greatest Flying Event, VOLUNTEER! We can always use another helpful hand....!
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Exempt but still a happy Subscriber!
Old 05-24-2022, 09:35 PM

EAA usually schedules an Oshkosh Arrival webinar that goes over the NOTICE (no longer a NOTAM?) in great detail. Highly recommended for anyone flying in, and it is usually available after the presentation date on demand.

HOWEVER, I'm sure the fine FAA folks dealing with the Fisk Arrival will find a way to not follow it, or come up with a new undocumented waypoint to steer people towards.
For example, last year telling people to enter the arrival at "Portage" instead of Endeavor Bridge, or in previous years telling people over the railroad tracks to "turn left and try again", instead of invoking the hold procedures in the document (Fond-du-Lac, Green Lake and Rush Lake) when there was a stoppage or slowdown on arrivals.
The Fisk Arrival on Sunday afternoon can be the scariest flying you will ever experience. If you are a first timer, please don't just wander in during the peak traffic flow without a plan A, B, C and D! Plan to divert. Plan to hold for hours. Plan to spend the night somewhere else, because it just might happen. And yes, I've done all 3 of those in 5 visits to Airventure.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2022 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 05-24-2022, 11:57 PM

Default Windshield Signs

Here is a file I made for your convenience with windshield signs. Just print the pages you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KOSH windshield signs.pdf
Views:	74
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	26244  
Old 05-25-2022, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post

HOWEVER, I'm sure the fine FAA folks dealing with the Fisk Arrival will find a way to not follow it, or come up with a new undocumented waypoint to steer people towards.
For example, last year telling people to enter the arrival at "Portage" instead of Endeavor Bridge, or in previous years telling people over the railroad tracks to "turn left and try again", instead of invoking the hold procedures in the document (Fond-du-Lac, Green Lake and Rush Lake) when there was a stoppage or slowdown on arrivals.
The Fisk Arrival on Sunday afternoon can be the scariest flying you will ever experience. If you are a first timer, please don't just wander in during the peak traffic flow without a plan A, B, C and D! Plan to divert. Plan to hold for hours. Plan to spend the night somewhere else, because it just might happen. And yes, I've done all 3 of those in 5 visits to Airventure.
This is why a few years ago I started flying only IFR into OSH and ditched the VFR arrival altogether. Just tired of the shenanigan's. I still study the entire "NOTICE" (not calling it a NOTAM is gonna be a hard habit to break) and the VFR arrival, just in case.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 05-25-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
This is why a few years ago I started flying only IFR into OSH and ditched the VFR arrival altogether. Just tired of the shenanigan's. I still study the entire "NOTICE" (not calling it a NOTAM is gonna be a hard habit to break) and the VFR arrival, just in case.
IFR sounds better than the VFR arrival procedure, but when things got crazy a couple of years ago, we watched as IFR traffic was just dumped into the VFR beehive on final for 27/base for 18. Scary!
Miss March 2020
Old 05-25-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED View Post
IFR sounds better than the VFR arrival procedure, but when things got crazy a couple of years ago, we watched as IFR traffic was just dumped into the VFR beehive on final for 27/base for 18. Scary!
That I can deal with because you're shooting the approach and if it's VMC you can see the traffic crossing in front of you on base. It's mile after mile of slogging through the VFR arrival when its busy that I abhor.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 05-25-2022, 08:58 AM

Default OSH arrivals and etc.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post

I work very closely with the "fine FAA folks" that are in the tower and on the ground including the Fisk arrival, but specifically the 3.5 miles of the Papa Taxiway that goes from Airshow Center to the fence at the South end of the airport property (the Vintage area). We also help with North Papa that ends at the Warbird area. They are the finest group of people you would ever encounter in such a HIGH VOLUME situation. There is at least a 3 year waiting list to work this convention in the tower and Fisk arrival and, yes, they are all VOLUNTEERS as well.

Do things occasionally not go according to "published plan"? Absolutely. Their very difficult job is to get traffic at the BUSIEST AIRPORT IN THE UNITED STATES in safely. (We get reports at our morning meetings with how we compare to O'Hare traffic...!) The crew will shoot from the hip if necessary to make things work. If the published landmarks are not working for the volume, they will have you do something else. But they are highly trained professionals and do an amazing job in a very tense and fast-moving situation. While you are at OSH, monitor the frequency for arrivals during convention (AND KEEP YOUR HAND AWAY FROM THE TRANSMIT BUTTON) and you will be amazed at what they do. Do airplanes occasionally "trade paint"? Yes: but that is such an infrequent occurrence which is a miracle considering.

Bottom line: come prepared for anything even if it is not "published", as you always should if you are a pilot. ("Hey: this storm wasn't in the weather briefing. I guess we'll just keep going.....") In all the years I have worked OSH we try to come prepared for ANYTHING that might happen. But are still occasionally surprised....but we go with the flow and make it work! Every year is different. And can change from morning to afternoon....or from 8am to 9am..... On the ground we will also occasionally have you do things that are not "published". Come prepared for anything........

And in all the years I have flown in, have encountered some amazing things happening in a very dynamic situation........ Keep your eyes out of the cockpit and your head on a swivel. Passengers should also be looking. And be prepared for instructions you may not have seen "published".....
Old 05-25-2022, 09:01 AM

Default Ground flow signs!!!!

Great idea! THANKS! We ground crew rely heavily on those signs to know where you want to be. A hastily-made pencil sign on notebook paper is NOT adequate!! Help us help you get to where you are going!