What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer Port Plug Removal

Tsabean

Trying to remove the primer port plug from an O320. It is not wanting to move and I?m worried I?m going to strip the head.
Tried heat but no joy.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

I did this a few years ago.
The correct allen head socket for a good fit....connected to a impact driver.
More heat....a lot of heat actually.
Seems to me the heat helped expand the head but most likely expanded the plug as well so the heat mainly softened the thread sealer.
It was not an easy task and frought with thoughts of damaging the cylinder.
Use two people...one to apply heat and one to turn the plug.
Best of luck.

Trying to remove the primer port plug from an O320. It is not wanting to move and I?m worried I?m going to strip the head.
Tried heat but no joy.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Did this recently and it initially felt the same as you describe. I proceeded very slowly, taking small steps over several days. After several hits with an impact driver a long handle with lots of leverage got it free. An old mechanic advised me to use valve grinding paste to eliminate any space between the plug and the Allen key, which may have helped.

Those plugs are most likely installed with red locktite during engine assembly. Carefully hit the area with a torch while applying force with the Allen wrench. The locktite will heat up in short order, melt, and the plug will come out quite easily. Same process for removing engine studs with the double nut method when you need a longer or shorter stud during accessory modifications, like mag/EI changes.

Thanks for the tips. Heat and an impact driver did the trick. The lapping compound hint seemed to help.

Thanks again

Back