What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting oxygen bottle in 8a

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Any suggestions for mounting the MH-al 415 (18.5" long) in the plane. I know I could mount it in the front baggage compartment but am concerned about access if I want to shut it down at regulator in case of fire. MH sells an electronic regulator solenoid but it costs around $1500.
Ideal may be mounting it behind pilots seat but I'd like to figure out how to avoid interfering with rear passenger stick and passenger foot wells.

Thanks,
Tom H

Hey Tom---
you can use a cable operated (modified) regulator valve to shut it down. Finding the space to put the bottle is the big issue.
Tom

Talking about baggage compartment installations in the -8, I would think you'd want to be able to isolate the O2 source at the bottle. As such, if you come up with a good (reasonably priced) remote valve actuator, please pass that along!

At Oshkosh in the Mountain High boot they showed me a system they had for remote mounting the bottle. They had a toggle switch that you would mount in the cockpit and turn the bottle on and off. It was about the size of a normal electrical toggle switch but was pneumatic and had three very small pneumatic lines running to the bottle. You would then mount their pulse demand regulator in the cockpit. I plan on using it to mount the bottle in the aft baggage bin on an RV-8. I just looked on their web site but was unable to find it listed so it may be something new. The complete system with a bottle good for about 24 hours use and a remote pressure gauge for the cockpit was around $1800.

I have an RV-8 and secure my oxygen tank horizontally to the front seat bar immediately behind the front seat. The tank is first stored inside the black nylon bag provided with the tank by Mountain High. I tightly wrapped two lengths of robust slip resistant 1-1/2 nylon webbing around the tank bag and have one stainless steel D-Ring on each strap. On the front seat bar, I have two lengths of 1-1/2" nylon webbing with two additional D-rings. I secure the D-rings on the oxygen tank bag to the D-rings on the seat bar using two stainless steel quick links commonly used to add a link to a chain.

My wife sat as passenger from Nor-Cal to Osh and back and she said it was totally fine. The bag can be flipped forward when I'm out of the cockpit.

The oxygen bag does not interfere with the rear stick operation. Pilot and passenger both have the ability to see the gauge and can reach the main valve if it needs to be turned on or off. While my wife is back there, she handles the oxy ops.

I would post pics but I can't figure it out.

At Oshkosh in the Mountain High boot they showed me a system they had for remote mounting the bottle. They had a toggle switch that you would mount in the cockpit and turn the bottle on and off....

I think this, about halfway down the page, might be what you're thinking of.

Dave

Here's what I did. Doesn't interfere with rear stick.

309loo3.jpg

Im going to give Alan's rigging a try.

I talked to MH about their pneumatic remote. the question I had was what if any of the three lines between the toggle switch and the regulator are severed (either pull out or corrupted by fire). If any of those lines are severed, the bottle will drain at 20PSI until empty.
this sounds like an incredibly bad design and makes it a non-starter for me.

Tom

Back