What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 ? Details, Details? Help Wanted!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK folks ? we have had tremendous support from builders in the DFW area, many of them working multiple weekends on the RV-1 in the past couple of months. Last weekend saw the relicensing inspection, and technically the airplane is ready to go?but because of the winds, we delayed the first flight, and during taxi testing we discovered a couple of things we wanted to make better before committing this historic airplane to flight.

We now have a new throttle cable on order, shims for the axle hopefully coming in from Grove, and a new battery on the way. All of these items should be arriving at RV Central by Friday, and if the weather cooperates, we could be looking at a flight if we can get everything installed. I believe I heard that Jay is going to be out of town, so I?m looking for folks who can volunteer to help with these final installation items (Friday and/or Saturday if required) to see if we can get to the end. The battery should be easy, the Throttle cable may need some bracketry built ,and the shims just mean we have to pull a wheel, brake, and axle.

Of course, the parts need to arrive before they can be installed, but if anyone thinks that can make another effort, let us know, we?ll stay in touch, and hopefully get it done.

Typical RV building ? a few little things can hold up the first flight, but they?ve gotta? be right! The schedule is tight to get it flying and to the paint shop before we need to be thinking of getting it to Florida.

Paul

I'll plan on stopping by on Friday and will assist/and or take care of the battery and throttle cable if the parts are here.

Arranging a new Jabiru delivery to North Texas on Friday-- I was hoping you guys would be around so I could finally at least SEE this thing! :D

Hanger access

Jay will be out of town so please call... to access the hanger
Roy Geer 817 253 1795
Rich Roudolph 817 897 5532

Thanks Gary, but we already have a throttle cable on the way.

Katie - hope to catch you up thre! We're keeping an eye on the weatehr to see how the weekend works out.

Paul

RV1

Wish I could be there to help but to far away.

Good luck this weekend and I hope you get her flying.

So, Paul, when I was last there on the day you ran the engine for the first time, one of the things I was doing was inspecting all of the components underneath the panel. I asked you to look at the throttle cable because I did not like the condition it was in. I am curious to know if something happened to the throttle cable that required replacement. I pointed the cable out to you as a concern. I told you at that time I was not happy with the cracking sheathing on the old cable. If something broke with that cable during your initial taxi testing I am going to really feel bad that I did not press the issue of replacing that cable further. :eek:

If something broke with that cable during your initial taxi testing I am going to really feel bad that I did not press the issue of replacing that cable further. :eek:

Paul's offline today, at least for a few more hours, so I'll comment. Nothing broke. The cable was stiff and didn't perform smoothly during the taxi test. It made the pilots nervous that they couldn't precisely control throttle acceleration and deceleration. Anyone who has dealt with a sticky throttle cable understands the concern. I also understand that the vernier control proved uncomfortable in the position it was in, so a non-vernier control will be put in. (I didn't get to try taxiing it 'cause "someone" ran the battery down. :rolleyes:)

RV-1 work day

Paul: Mattie and I will be there Friday morning early. Staying thru the weekend to get it done. Weather doesn't look the best so will use the Interstate highway system. See you all on friday. Corpus Christi,Texas RV-6A N237B:)

Paul's offline today, at least for a few more hours, so I'll comment. Nothing broke. The cable was stiff and didn't perform smoothly during the taxi test. It made the pilots nervous that they couldn't precisely control throttle acceleration and deceleration. Anyone who has dealt with a sticky throttle cable understands the concern. I also understand that the vernier control proved uncomfortable in the position it was in, so a non-vernier control will be put in. (I didn't get to try taxiing it 'cause "someone" ran the battery down. :rolleyes:)
Ok, well it is good that you are replacing that throttle cable. I did not like the looks of it when I inspected it.

We'll be up on Sunday

Paul and I won't make it on Friday due to job pressures (I have a big deadline tomorrow) and weather looks poor on Saturday, so we're shooting for Sunday morning. Folks showing up on Friday and Saturday will want to coordinate with Walt, Roy, or Rich (see posts on 1st page.....Jay will be out-of-town). Thanks to all who plan to help out this weekend. Hope to see you on Sunday.

P.S. I expect we'll be a 2-ship this weekend with our newest arrival coming along! :)

You know what... I just need to quit jinxing myself. Every time I say I'll be there, Mother Nature has to stick her nose in it. Or my old friend Murphy. :rolleyes:

Raining in north Texas. Jabiru delivery and RV-1 visit delayed. :(

You know what... I just need to quit jinxing myself. Every time I say I'll be there, Mother Nature has to stick her nose in it. Or my old friend Murphy. :rolleyes:

Murphy was an optimist... :D

Katie, Don't know what part of DFW area you are delivering to, but if on the northeast side, We have a spare room and plenty of hangar space.
Think about visiting us. You can even see the bi-plane project with 3300A on the nose.
ShortStop Airfield (8TA5) 20 X 1500' asphalt.

Back