What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-8/8A!!!

Naming Committee vote in...

The final Paint Scheme for N113DU...now has 48 hours on the meter.

Awesome sir!
New name just in from the naming committee..."Duck Hunter" :)

V/R
Smokey

PS: Very nice Eight sir, love the polish/paint plan! I did that myself once although it didn't work well in the Southeast USA. Ended up painting it all over later.
PSS: Looks like Merrill Field...

Looking good Burke! I still have fond memories of the flight you gave me. All the best, Hugh.

How far North?

Vlad,
With a fuel stop, Barrow should be reachable...just depends on the desire to land on gravel in some places...I might not be here in late July however as if the stars and moon aligne correctly I plan on flying to Osh this summer.

stevervb

I have been thinking about a carbon skirt on my 8 . As most eights have some flex due to the lift on the canopy and some draft resulting. This is my second build and has about 350 hours on it. I tried the bike tube seal and it may work better wrapped in rabbit skin than spandex but still not satisfied as I live in Spokane and it gets cold up here. I am a bit concerned about the rigidity of the carbon skirt not leaving enough flex for the plastic but do think it will keep my filler down to the thinkness of the cellophane which would be a nice seal...Couple that with rabbit skin on my tube and it could not be worse unless my canopy cracks...Has anyone tried a carbon skirt. My 8s have both used Vans rivets, skirt and canopy and held up well...Had 700 hours on the first plane

rex32_zpsd7e89929.jpg

Camera settings

vuurwapen,

I was wondering what camera settings you used. I am not too familiar with night photos yet, and I would really like to learn.

Comment

Van's Calendar 2015.

Make it happen.

Beautiful shot.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A N942PT Completed Phase I

vuurwapen,

I was wondering what camera settings you used. I am not too familiar with night photos yet, and I would really like to learn.

That was 30 seconds at f4 with the ISO around 400, I believe. Depending on the focal length of your lens you may want a shorter shutter speed to reduce the appearance of star movement, or you may want to leave it open for an hour for the full Star Trek warp factor effect. But you'll have to play around and see what works with your camera. Important to note that there was a nearly full moon - hence the visibility of the aircraft.

Finished 369WR, finally

After 5 1/2 years build time, first flight was on 1-1-2014. I was so nervous on the first flight that I didn't really enjoy the flight, but since have come to realize what great machines these are.
15u976.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Instrument Panel

Hey David,

Love your instrument panel ... can you post some PIX and tell us a little about it.

Cheers, Matt

I was asked to add some more pictures so here goes. The paint is Sherwin Williams>Aerospace>Military> Lusterless, so THAT IS the top coat. It's tough paint but shows finger prints like crazy. Tried to keep the panel simple, but wanted basic IFR. Had to used a the Dynon D-120 EMS instead of a Skyview 7" because I couldn't quite squeeze the seven incher in the limited space. Panel is about 3 inches wider than stock, and made from five layers of vacuum bagged carbon fiber (about .050" thick), if to do over would of added one more layer.
29frqtj.jpg
[/IMG]
2ebc276.jpg

e0smdk.jpg

30v0w07.jpg

23k6bty.jpg

nd97j8.jpg

11huhc9.jpg

Last edited:
430W GPS puck

The mount was made from .020" chromoly plate. I wanted a good "ground plane", which I didn't think would be possible using composite material. I have a tig welder in my garage, yet these mounts were very time consuming to make. The metal would pull during the welding process, so I had to keep slicing the flange using a dremel cut off wheel, reposition, tack and weld. It took the most time to get a close tolerance fit next to the orginal skin. About 40 hours invested in each mount!

I like the look but sounds like an whole bunch of work for which I probably don't have the skills or tools. I planned to mount it out of level on the skin and doubted reception would be marginalized. Was your impetus looks or function?

430W GPS puck

It was really both. Garmin wants it level, I don't recall how much out of plane the tolerance is, or if they even give one, but I wanted it to look cool. It was probably over kill.

Reborn VH-VLY

Hello all. Here are a few pictures of my RV-8 which I bought damaged and have repaired. She is sporting a new paint job as well as new wings, bulk stripped engine and OH prop. The Paint is based on the Australian RAAF airforce aerobatic display team, the Roulettes. Most of the build/repair was done by Dave Wohling Esperance WA. Great bloke and a terrific builder. Enjoy.

51d8j9.jpg

ic8chg.jpg

25sydmr.jpg

2r7ld3k.jpg

9qcqo7.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, looks great. Only trouble is we now need five more.
How did it look before the make over?
Great first post BTW, and welcome.
Paul.
ce0d8f24-5288-46e0-90c9-c2e3e4566725.jpg

Wow, looks great. Only trouble is we now need five more.
How did it look before the make over?
Great first post BTW, and welcome.
Paul.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Another five would be great...I guess we would just take it in turns being leader. :cool: I don't know if your meant to ask how a lady looked before a makeover Paul. ;) Needless to say about as good as anyone who has had an argument with a fence, missing two wings and a bent nose.

GPS Antenna Mount

Saw some people discussing GPS Antenna location. I much prefer having the antenna tucked away. This way has worked perfectly for my last 3 RV's.

IMG_20130523_131533.jpg

IMG_20130523_131546.jpg

Last edited:
Can't believe I forgot to share these

Here are some pictures of my project. I actually flew it for the first time four years ago and thought I posted the pictures already, but after looking through the thread I guess I didn't.

mj37uw.jpg

14w65on.jpg
2jg6ss4.jpg

Thanks Ron

Pretty close. Guess we'd mess with the controllers if we were in the pattern at the same time.

I don't know if your meant to ask how a lady looked before a makeover Paul.

Ah, a gentleman! Well done you and Dave - what a beautiful aircraft. Do drop in to Serpentine some time so we can admire her!

Robot,
Do they call themselves Roulette... because they just spin the prop and take their chances????
Beautiful paint by the way...

N411TW

I've been looking for a photo I felt summed up "Patience" and finally think I found them...I also wanted to get these posted before I do another upgrade :D
N411TWinflightPB_zpsd23f0b56.jpg

N411TWAvionicsPB_zps6118f13f.jpg

Very nice Joe!

Who did your paint job? Nice looking bird. Can't wait to see mine looking that pretty. if I am not mistaken that looks like a Todd's canopy, which I am also planning for mine.

Bryan,

Thank you. I don't know who painted it but I can ask the builder if you'd like. Yes, that is a Todd's canopy.

Looks awesome! By chance, that's the scheme I was considering!
Four to go :D

Hi Everyone sorry to show another shot of the 8 but the first time away from home had the best photo opportunity.. Couldn't resist..

rwjwvp.jpg

nz1ve8.jpg

Not a Roulette, but hey I will lower myself. I reckon he should get rid of the nose wheel! :D

Hi Everyone sorry to show another shot of the 8 but the first time away from home had the best photo opportunity.. Couldn't resist..

rwjwvp.jpg

nz1ve8.jpg

Not a Roulette, but hey I will lower myself. I reckon he should get rid of the nose wheel! :D

Hello Robert,

Great paint scheme. I love the roulettes and their scheme.

Just curious how you managed to get permission to use the RAAF Roundel. It's copyrighted nationally and internationally by the Defence Act 1903, Trade Marks Act 1995 and the Chester Herald Act 1939. I''m involved in an organisation that had aircraft using it and we were instructed to remove it because of this copyright.

Finally Finished

I can now finally call my RV-8 finished. Last Thursday I picked it up from Ed's Aircraft Refinishing @ KHWV. Ed is a true craftsman who was just a pleasure to work with. His attention to detail and quality standards are top notch. Below are a few views. Flew it to Sky Manor on Sunday and was one of the RV's that took home a trophy

For those who are counting, 7.5 years to first flight, 2.5 years of flying looking like Vlad.

HeBALr2XJAUPHdayG2JO1vJvP_a5NwB3azq8KkLNTZ8=w632-h320-p-no

RMn4p7wdj9-eU6fKvrSaaJjeRwWm40ACwX_mRMKf-TU=w569-h320-p-no

I can now finally call my RV-8 finished. Last Thursday I picked it up from Ed's Aircraft Refinishing @ KHWV. Ed is a true craftsman who was just a pleasure to work with. His attention to detail and quality standards are top notch. Below are a few views. Flew it to Sky Manor on Sunday and was one of the RV's that took home a trophy

For those who are counting, 7.5 years to first flight, 2.5 years of flying looking like Vlad.

HeBALr2XJAUPHdayG2JO1vJvP_a5NwB3azq8KkLNTZ8=w632-h320-p-no

RMn4p7wdj9-eU6fKvrSaaJjeRwWm40ACwX_mRMKf-TU=w569-h320-p-no

I saw you Mike by the pumps at Sky Manor what a beauty! Congratulations!

Back