What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh is coming!

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Oshkosh is coming!!! Yee, haw! They get better with each year because we take control of our own experience. This one is going to be no different, only better. I promise, there will be nobody in front of my airplane trying to accost you with dog rescue information as you walk by this year. Stop, have a beer, or some snacks from the cooler, in the shade of the wing or the horizontal stab around airshow time :). (SB not applicable here.)

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. It will be well worn by the time the end of July comes around. I'm pleased that I'm only about one day behind. It will be referenced during many random conversations in the evenings among loved ones, many phone calls with friends, a few dinner parties (we only invite 'airplane people' you know), and many online comments just trying my best to keep my mouth shut (no promises).

photo.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry, Shiner comes from TX in N4822C. Same deal, even trade at any time :) We're optimizing our useful load at this time :).

SCARD SEZ

We headed to the airport at about 1015 this morning to get fuel. Launched on an IFR flight plan to shoot instrument approaches in beautiful VFR weather. 3 into Lago Vista, one into Georgetown. It sounded like we were training a new Austin Approach controller as part of our exercise. Non-smooth weather like today provides extra training value. In total, we shot four approaches today between us. We 'have' shot about 10 in one day. Talk about a long day. Anyway, the final approach was into Georgetown with a circle to land. As Tanya chocked the airplane in front of our 'other' hangar, I ran to the head.
By now it is approaching 1pm. I grabbed our packed lunch out of the back of the airplane and Tanya and I scarfed down a sandwich during Falcon's brief of our 4 ship departure headed to McGregor for more formation practice. A little wing exercise along the way (Cookie's leg). Land up the road at McGregor to meet up with three more of Falcon Flight 'north'. Briefed up a 7-ship practice for the 50-ship in Phoenix next weekend. I hopped in Taco's RV7A as I will be flying it for the show. This was all about exercise for me to fine tune myself into the fixed pitch prop. What a silly contraption! In reality, my CS prop / 160hp is actually a very close match to his fixed pitch / 180hp. Amazingly similar in real formation exercise.
Flew the mission and landed back at McGregor for me to hop back out of Taco's airplane and back into ours. Launched Scoot Flight as a 2-ship and immediately cleared Taco back off northbound while we continued in smooth air at 6500' southbound. An overhead back at home at our airpark and you can stick a fork in us. About 1600 now. Time for beer and pizza. Very much looking forward to the big event next weekend in Phoenix. That is a day of RV flying, and we didn't even really go anywhere.

Yep, still all excited to head north for a week. Only about 10 weeks to go... Just don't look for that round dude in that picture. He doesn't exist anymore, but still can be found with beer in hand :).

NOTAM

The RV6, on the ground, on the NOTAM, was my first RV build, N46RV. It won runner up, Best Home Built, at the Rocky Mt Regional Fly-In 1997. I had it at Oshkosh for the 25th Vans anniversary.
Seeing it on the cover makes me proud to be a small part of this fine hobby.

Jay bird,

Can I get autograph from you and Jarhead then.

Just kidding but will take cold one or I will buy you and C one.

Oshkosh, .. Oshkosh, .. Oshkosh, .. Oshkosh!, Oshkosh!!, Oshkosh!!!!!!

Oh, yeah, just sayin'. We're clear of the day job and packing is nearly complete.

Only 2 more sleeps 'till we launch! (I have to finish flying for work, first.) I always explain to people I fly with that OSH is like Summer camp for airplane geeks, and it elevates the experience of being a pilot. Liking the weather forecast for next week, not too hot, and not looking like a Sploshkosh re-run.

I always explain to people I fly with that OSH is like Summer camp for airplane geeks, and it elevates the experience of being a pilot.

I just had this conversation via text with a friend - it's hard to explain the appeal to some.

Launched just before sun up:

C684915D-31BC-4060-8068-0D425FC00A89.jpg

And had the house in order by 1300:). So good to be here again!

40F1A709-75E9-45A6-BFE0-21944EE363D6.jpg

Maybe some day.....:(. Been to SNF many times, never made it to Oshkosh for one reason or another. Best I can do this year is take advantage of some airshow sale specials.

Dang it! I got pulled over on the way to OSH!

IMG_3827.JPG

Just kidding, we are driving up.

Last edited:
Back