What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Past time to think about the panel

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I just finished the fuselage kit and am waiting on my finish kit. I'm starting to look into how to layout the panel, what I need, etc. I have no idea at this point. I have decided on a Dynon 10" HDX for the main screen. I'm looking at the Dynon comms and they monitor the standby frequency as well. Kind of neat. I'm currently flying with dual King KX155s, so I'm used to listening on both active frequencies with a standby frequency loaded on each. 122.8, 122.9 seem to always be loaded somewhere. Towers, atis etc.

I think I would like to keep the capability of having 4 frequencies handy, but not sure how that would work, even if I bought 2 comms. If so, would it monitor 4 frequencies? Is it overkill?

At the risk of being told to RTFM, how did you layout your panel? cardboard cutouts and foamboard? I started using the panel builder at Hangarzulu but need some more time with it. Switches, etc, where do you start? Panelbuilding for dummies? Building so far has been opening the manual, going to the chapter and completing tasks, learning many skills along the way, sometimes ordering new parts and relearning that skill. At this point the panel layout seems daunting. I can imagine the FWF will be similar.

Panel layout

Start with pictures off the manufacturer's website. Print them exact dimension. Laminate. Apply double sided tape. Start playing.
Then make carboard blocks the exact dimension of the boxes including the plugs. See if you can fit them. Remember the cables stick out.
Then if you really want some fun, post a picture and watch the fun!

Start with pictures off the manufacturer's website. Print them exact dimension. Laminate. Apply double sided tape. Start playing.
Then make carboard blocks the exact dimension of the boxes including the plugs. See if you can fit them. Remember the cables stick out.
Then if you really want some fun, post a picture and watch the fun!

This was how I designed my panel. I cut out the pictures from the Dynon brochures and taped them to the panel blank. I put the draft panel on the plane and made airplane noise, pushed the imaginary buttons so see how they would fit. I prefer this analog method to the digital cad because I never used any type of glass panel before so having something analog to a real panel suits my decision process better.

Paper dolls

I used paper dolls to lay out my panel.
But fair warning, when I finally cut the panel and installed the comm radio at the bottom of the stack, I realized the radio sticks out and blocks the view of the labels on the panel. Good thing my labels are printed stick ons; if I had etched the panel, I’d be crying now.

(Ok test for those sharp eagle eyes, which circuit breaker did I forget on finished panel?)

Attachments

• BD124846-C7F3-4B73-90D1-A03B2AE82DA1.jpg
    BD124846-C7F3-4B73-90D1-A03B2AE82DA1.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 137
  • BCB1A501-551B-4CC5-9C61-FA0B369F0DFA.jpg
    BCB1A501-551B-4CC5-9C61-FA0B369F0DFA.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I think I would like to keep the capability of having 4 frequencies handy, but not sure how that would work, even if I bought 2 comms. If so, would it monitor 4 frequencies?

At the risk of being told to RTFM, how did you layout your panel? cardboard cutouts and foamboard?

You won't really get 4 frequencies, more like "2+2". e.g., select both radios' audio out to "on" on your audio panel. Put both radios (assuming they do it) into "monitor mode". You will hear the active frequency from both radios, unless the active is quiet and someone is on the standby frequency, then you'll hear them (but immediately lose them if someone comes up on the active). Around here I find the "monitor" function semi-useless, e.g., if I'm with approach and put the ATIS into the "monitor" side, it keeps constantly getting cut out, since approach is busy. Better to put ATIS in com 2, listen to both, keep a hand on the com2 volume ready to turn it down if ATC calls me.
Yes, I used a paper cut out, scaled to size and scotch taped, to get a feel for panel layout. One thing I learned was that I wanted the PFD a little lower (contrary to the usual advice to put it as high as possible) - because I wear variable focal length lenses.

Autopilot?

Alternator field
I have a alternator switch, but if the alternator field draws too much current and blows a fuse, I wont know why the alternator stopped working. With a circuit breaker, I can visually verify the circuit break is faulted, and the alt switch is on.

The AP is on a fuse. I am wiring up the AP switch lights so they wont come on if the AP fuse is blown.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I cut the Dynon pictures out of the brochure and am going to buy some foamboard or something similar and tape them up and mount them on the panel frame. Also looking at panel pictures and writing down things that should be included.

I'm looking forward to Oshkosh this year, I'll be spending lots of time looking at avionics, panels and Lycomings.

HangarZulu https://hangarzulu.com/ has a free panel builder that you can use to layout your panel. Easy to use an free. It is not a good as a full size mock up but it is easier and you can try many different layouts very easily.

I found this article on a classified DoD program that involved a STOL. The mockup of the cockpit resembles how we mockup the RV panel, including my own. No CAD needed.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-previously-undisclosed-special-ops-transport

dd11313ccc.jpg

Last edited:
I see you are in Illinois. If you are able to travel a bit to Indiana/Kentucky border I would be glad to go flying in my plane with you, Dynon equipment and you can see real world what you like/don't like.

smokeonaviation @ gmail

I see you are in Illinois. If you are able to travel a bit to Indiana/Kentucky border I would be glad to go flying in my plane with you, Dynon equipment and you can see real world what you like/don't like.

smokeonaviation @ gmail

Thanks for the offer. My plan is to do a deep immersion at Oshkosh this year. I haven't looked at panels, engines, paint, etc in the past because there is so much to see and I had plenty of time. Well, 2020 was a nogo and I most definitely would have scoped out some of it there.

Jeff

Back