What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

#37 on hangar list ...

I'm at BWG in Kentucky and can't quite figure out what's going on here. Surrounding airports have hangar wait lists ranging from 0 to 5. 18 years ago I got a hangar at BWG within a few months of applying.

Now I'm told I'm #37 on the wait list.

They have plenty of space to build hangars. At a time when you can borrow money very cheaply, and there are obviously many waiting renters to pay off the debt, WHY wouldn't a public airport build more hangars?

When it comes to municipal airports, local politics is often the driving factor.
Becoming involved with the airport board or the city/county commission is a good way to get your name to #1 pretty quickly, if perhaps unethical.

Get on the airport board, or at least attend the meetings and drive the process.

If nobody pushes it, I promise, it won’t happen.

I'm at BWG in Kentucky and can't quite figure out what's going on here. Surrounding airports have hangar wait lists ranging from 0 to 5. 18 years ago I got a hangar at BWG within a few months of applying.

Now I'm told I'm #37 on the wait list.

They have plenty of space to build hangars. At a time when you can borrow money very cheaply, and there are obviously many waiting renters to pay off the debt, WHY wouldn't a public airport build more hangars?

Lots of time and money for little return.. Metal prices are high right now.. Permits, drainage studies, politics, survey, paved surfaces getting to and from hangers... I'm sure each place has it's own unique factors to deal with..

Here at LVK the hangar waiting list has 105 names on it, with typical wait about 2 years.
Local citizens equate more hangars with more noise. An FBO at OAK has proposed moving to LVK, and basing the one 737 they own for charters at LVK. You would not believe the howls of protest from the citizens.

Because it cost 1.2 million dollars to build a 10 unit t-hangar these days. It’s frustrating, I was on the list for 5 years and I’m on the airport board.

Back