What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C/S Spinner bulkhead spacers

exercise

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to have the Vans rear spinner bulkhead assembly not touch the Hartzell C2YL-1BF/F7663-4 C/S prop when I have it FULLY rotated(no oil in there) Prop manual discusses no more than three AN90-416(.063") washers in their proper positions as well as spacers. I infer from the DWG C4 that 4X spacers means one for each of the AN6-43A bolts.

Well, for the prop not to touch the rear bulkhead, I need two spacers and a thin washer(.452" total) which allows for maybe one thread showing through the nut and that is with another thin washer on the nut side.

What is wrong here?

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to have the Vans rear spinner bulkhead assembly not touch the Hartzell C2YL-1BF/F7663-4 C/S prop when I have it FULLY rotated(no oil in there) Prop manual discusses no more than three AN90-416(.063") washers in their proper positions as well as spacers. I infer from the DWG C4 that 4X spacers means one for each of the AN6-43A bolts.

Well, for the prop not to touch the rear bulkhead, I need two spacers and a thin washer(.452" total) which allows for maybe one thread showing through the nut and that is with another thin washer on the nut side.

What is wrong here?

Seeing the long list of responses - this seems to be a blade for your engine, so either talk to Vans Monday or call Hartzell. It is probably OK, but using more than the "print" spacers does ask for an expert opinion.

To continue the story, the bolts that came with my prop(see above) are AN6-43A and Vans C/S prop spinner installation instructions say that these bolts are the ones to be used if longer bolts are needed but for some reason, in order for my prop not to touch the rear spinner bulkhead, I have to use a thinner washer next to the nut and not the AN90-416 washer as noted in the Hartzell owners manual. And even with that thinner washer, I have barely one thread showing.

The Hartzell tech says to purchase longer ones if needed (he warned me about the price), Van's tech said to purchase what ever type of bolts that Hartzell recommends and my prop shop is of no use.

I just checked out a RV6 C/S O-320 and that guy was not aware that one should ensure that proper length spacers were needed. Now he knows where the dings in his rear spinner bulkhead came from

I have the same prop and bolts as others. I have the Vans C/S spinner kit.

Why do I have this situation when no one else seems to?

I had this problem, I bought four longer grade 9 bolts and made custom spacers.

With the use of one custom spacer per bolt(Hartzell recommends only one spacer per bolt) I am now able to have the full pitch blade not contact the rear bulkhead while also having at least one thread showing. Where I got gummed up was not torquing the prop bolts properly. With proper torque, the assembly tightened up and gave me the one thread.

Back