What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Terra IFF interference with VHF

Feetwet

I have the Terra 760 Com stacked on top of the Terra IFF, and after sending them to Trimble (now out of the business), they have been working very well. I noticed recently a little static when receiving com transmissions from other distant aircraft. I initially thought the problem was the other transmissions, but then noticed the static goes away when I turned the IFF off. I further trouble-shot it by checking without mode C, same result. The problem does not seem to be associated with the interrogate/transmit light on the IFF, but occurs whenever the IFF is on. I tried putting EMI suppressors (magnetic donuts) on the ground leads from the two units, and there might be slight improvement, but it is still there. I don't think it is associated with the antennas, since it doesn't seem to be associated with IFF interrogation. I also played with squelch, in the automatic mode and at various manual positions, and that does not seem to affect it, although the static does sound somewhat like a high squelch.
I am about out of ideas, any inputs appreciated.

Terra Radios

I have the 760 com and the 250 xponder. I have not notice any interference between the com and xponder but the 760 com has very poor harmonic rejection. I get digital pager interference on 123.0 on each of my two receivers.

FreeFlight in Waco, Texas was servicing them last year but transfered all support and repairs to TSTC (Texas State Technical College) in Waco.

Ken

Back