What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Planning

Feetwet

Back in the old days, I used to flight plan at base ops, with a map, protractor and aircraft performance charts, fill out the AF form 70, and fly with it on my knee. I still like to use something like the Form 70 for flight planning with my RV4, and I take it with me to track things while airborne, but I do it digitally now, using a program I wrote. The form I generate follows:

qLR1K7wID7tuos3f1rz8CKqx6ybGUKsomaL3UNQMZr4Gy-amWGdl_l-oYexzeHWuMzGFi7y4_nZf5HilpC0Pzmd-C0pAfcMPGk3NbWQzHCbPcXJ83dPGMW_w_un0ZymIZ_zh7tyFoq6HEPQMtQ9BiLGxMergLVfE2iycdegCchB3SW1y0mgOz9sTg8_KjDwq3EGh0kPlXgUhLma4534CZWazulu4ChI3kC-LucG2ZddsOQFYN35FbVmeaI63rLnzGD-_Q7EHrZDkhKC5A2engqn1XC6r7MBce4lInJ8OLpZ3TlA8jTP5lissJTnq19xjfFXfW9I4JQ92g3dXivGf5Y189TUPwACMpYN7PI44pnD3IkrLuwFGeWM-iDg4u7_FhHMo0eTXkc6GAcBH0wBvpVvffcjBSgpETl8lTwiC3QFZ4FNhMh-qIAfLDH2WqC-XQQTl20741U2WHam6DVtJKwmzU5OzZ1HOXkM7uX_iphWG9fHAm3jqQwVZmJkyFtUo68GTXo7ZyiRw2Jj1hnSMQCOxhE0NTI6BBfgMAf3IgxDGZ9T1XPXs4e6zBQDEpvCC8zB5nZpl28Q6GjuEYIRHyh55Nf3eI-2pGUHLtTiPUotcz_kkB6U=w590-h487-no

Of course I use a computer and a simple input file for the RV4 performance, with digital maps now to generate the following input path file for the route waypoints and to upload to my GPS:

zrpVSF0JgCemHavQTAqO1bVcfBHFUKlaVM0VRR-2sevP2bVVDItjettDaeNZBYlB_yIQCM1F-_CGUI-GBgkE_kUAONPWo6lqkioGQ3d_SyqhjHLUYpv8czrdXkoSmJ_wkv1HL-DYKpbOtLYdUUFgNv7Q6DTnRMjVBS4SznXD1p926vnU6wxrIbZkrk3ZOrzzRJ1C-YOkM-wuNKmdxiIocf71MH2rPtMG4JSe7B1qtc_0_uHptc6ERlSPLUClro-x5Gel0qHyLW3LgzSFc-Yso2eRfjH2GJL_nP5wTcwcOEiqJnCY04BrWhkeYS82lMJgnCZey5itwv3rCoJB-apZg9Ms3Pe11rCJ0NolpxbUqyV7u4iQEH_0WZ4UoPDI-mummpKouFdxwj9h3cYeWT8GQJ1KH3FIBZFk3kZrJ0ZRDphT9Az1QIss132Sj5KZLQ4otvYctUYcoNKv0pcg7N_4bvfSR8xh8WT1V7CcdempraCEZJw40QvMlZ3zQZhz6sRXkmGnJDWY7PqR14XAqC-htckUMYUqc4X9aj18XRa12I2H4SkeDfnsWelM6sQvpQ23ejt1lorhVHc8NgjmqWdmoOPqJbKid_JsMOYvNwrym2XDgWo=w200-h112-no

If you are interested in using something like this, download the following information file which should give you more details and allow you to use the program:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6_488Gb6Q8URHUtSWlrcW45SXc

Good on ya! Umm you do realize, however, that the free online flight planners (Duats, LMFS, Fltplan.com, etc), plus all of the EFBs (ForeFlight, Wing-X, GarminPilot, etc) do the same thing plus add current wind and temp data for the chosen route and altitude (direct, airways, etc)? And most will graphically project your route on the chart of your choice in addition to providing a traditional Nav log. Some will also allow you to export a fjlightplan file that you can upload into your gps.

Last edited:
I do most of my flight planning on skyvector.com. You can set up Aircraft profiles, do flight planning and the best part is being able to email the plan to yourself. Once in the airplane, I can open the emailed flight plan in ForeFlight, so it is on the iPhone, then from ForeFlight I can send the plan to the Skyview EFIS via wifi. Skyvector also has the ability to create a NavLog just like you describe with all of the way points, Distances, ETA's, headings, fuel used, etc. I usually print out the complete NavLog so I have something to scribble on.

It sure beats the old way with paper charts, E6B, rulers and pencils! GPS Direct is awesome along with a moving map EFIS or iPad/iPhone.

Falconview in Cockpit

I wasn't going to amplify, because falconview Open Source is apparently no longer available for download, but I think the replies missed my point: I want something on my kneeboard in case everything else goes to blazes. I believe in using electronic tech when convenient and useful, but I do not rely on it exclusively when airborne! No matter where your fltplan is, I recommend a paper copy with fuel data retained somewhere.
I started a lengthy search for flight planning software in 2011, with a criteria that I wanted nothing that was internet based, and nothing that cost or had subscription fees. I wanted everything on my computer and was not so much concerned about cost, but the fact that small commercial companies go out of business and leave you holding the bag - happened to me with DigAV. I settled on Falconview, have it on my home computer for most planning, and my inflight computer with GPS input (BU253 above AOA in picture). I update the inflight computer with maps or new routes thru an SD card in the side, or easily remove it to upload at home. Power is fused from the main bus. I have GNCs, JNCs, WACs on it, and current Sectionals. It has worked extremely well for 3 years now, and the fact that the program is no longer supported does not influence me, everything is sitting on the computers except sectional updates, those come from the FAA. The acft computer slides up and out of the way on top of the glove box if I am not using it during aerobatics or formation flying. I use the touch screen normally, or a mouse when the air is lumpy and my finger is bouncing around.
The D10As in this picture are dummied up, they are now installed and look exactly as shown.

88xBXAipRLnDeENvzEH8Moe9-XhDLLGbVDtojHTK1aah5SkxgtQAftQxf_3jdTtjgHreCbOSJmLiBnlhSzz4A-2rILm88_Jcb2AAbby5iFK0i-QxdKBj6XK-eVG2fNO4q09m32rz09p5ypBiJIBhMxAHXywtQDZUfLgsBw8eiQlu9nGt1rP6_RrnOKYmla8ap8OZEzupFMwaAMCV7gOr8puN-L49o-PWDp36F9hgyIIchKjR1LfYXfuRzQGRKpUGPBF3nrPZY-rOvpIha_k6_RZ9sxXu7fudJPyxinjqZ-eo-odLYz7SqtYJmNUkQbR9PPxvkC1fRAJrIxp7aEGTgsebVW1uny6FhwJsHT7uJCGE_NYWvS5bwm7ovMeObs4KZX2FEiL1hNY1gdQs82ItFLznQfOk281TVzN7JfdwSeqN7b2sBNs7Shai2Fgfg-6Q898XVxw0xWevpOL6yqnSIjdxZinp1REyapsD37WxaNaRmiXm-m5PeFZTugsIRKoAIBUvA1Od2bweRFGW5AnekoBr6RdMteEQ8s8cx-0xoIs_TXIk-F24kZpsph-mY2TZLrhiaGe_kOhrlXdJtCCdX1sf5NQTHr4nhX19-tT_eFOMrI48JjM=w902-h676-no

I can't see any of the what I assume are pictures embedded in your posts ...

I wasn't going to amplify, because falconview Open Source is apparently no longer available for download, but I think the replies missed my point: I want something on my kneeboard in case everything else goes to blazes.

Skyvector is what you want. You can print a Form 70-like plan and have it on your knee. As well as print your route on the chart of your choosing. Make a profile and it will do the fuel calc for you.

I too use https://skyvector.com/ for my flight planning.

You will want to register and register your plane(s).

It will display the weather, TFR's, and allow you to submit your flight plan.

My only complaint is that you have to check a box for it to recognize private air strips.

The other good option is to use AOPA's flight planner. It is similar to Skyvector.

Either way, I will enter the flight plan into my SkyView and Garmin manually.

I use fltplan.com (Free)
And for weather and planning I use weathermeister.com ($50/yr or so)

Back