What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Master left on

Feetwet

I have left the Battery switch on and flattened the battery at least 3 times in four years, and notice from forum postings that I am not the only one. After the last occasion I put an amber light to the side of the main panel that indicates the battery is on, and it has made a difference for me - so far after a year, no goofs. If you have a panel that goes blank with the battery on and the avionics master off, something like this might be worth considering.

There's them that have, and them that will!

Good idea. When RV's come to our Avionics shop for an IFR or VFR certification (or just work in general) we always ask where the external power port is. 95% of the time there isn't one and the owner has to spend several hours getting behind the panel to get access to the battery. To all builders out there, put an external power port of some kind in the cowl or in the cockpit somewhere. It will reward you later with forgoing many hours of frustration.

Master left on?

Here's another idea. Just leave your strobe/beacon switch in the "on" position.......permanetly.
The Master comes on just prior to start, when you want the strobe on anyway, and both come off after engine shutdown, as you select the Master to off.
Hard to walk away from the airplane with the Master left on, and the strobe still flashing. You, or someone's goona notice that.

Doug
Seattle area
-4, wings

Another suggestion is to drive a Red light off an oil pressure switch so that it illuminates when the engine is off but the master is on. That way you won't have that Amber light glowing all the time.

From Rosie: I have this exact setup on our plane and you will surely notice a glowing light :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery master left on

Along the ideas of a big warning light that does double duty - I have a canopy unlatched light that is big and red and bright. Effective as a warning prior to takeoff and so far - knock on wood - has been effective as a Master on light.

Steve
N144SH
2001 RV-4
Catto prop

Back