What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parking Brake or No

jswareiv

Well Known Member
I just flew from New Orleans to Visalia, CA and back, total of roughly 21 hours of flying. On one of my stops at a small airport with cheap gas, the winds were really blowing. As I got out of the airplane, as the canopy kept wanting to shut on me, the plane started moving. Luckily I was able to get it chocked quickly. When I was deciding whether or not to use a parking brake, I didn't really think of that scenario. If I had to do it over again, I would install a parking brake. Now I am going to have to figure out how to install it after the fact.

Give it a year or 5 more thought. You've had 1 use for it in how long?

I can honestly say that I've only used the parking brake in ONE airplane ever. And that's because I had no choice... it had NO TOE BRAKES.

Truth be told I don't use the parking brake in cars either.

So there's a data point and an opinion for ya!

Wished I had one!

Did not have one on the -10, the -8A, or my current -6A --- there have been several times, at fuel stops, or breakfast stops, where I had to maneuver the airplane to a stop where it would not roll. I look really funny trying to get out of a rolling airplane and running around to grab something to hold on to.

Ron

Parking brake

I just flew from New Orleans to Visalia, CA and back, total of roughly 21 hours of flying. On one of my stops at a small airport with cheap gas, the winds were really blowing. As I got out of the airplane, as the canopy kept wanting to shut on me, the plane started moving. Luckily I was able to get it chocked quickly. When I was deciding whether or not to use a parking brake, I didn't really think of that scenario. If I had to do it over again, I would install a parking brake. Now I am going to have to figure out how to install it after the fact.

Hello Stoney,
This is one of those threads that have no correct answer; with that said I have a parking brake. I spend most of my time at unimproved strips in the Smokey's. I think you have brake hoses from Aircraft Specialty. Give Steve a call he has the mesurements from RonB and myself.
Marvin

parking brake

Opinions here about evenly split for and against. It does cost & weigh something and has more failure points but I wouldn't be without one, especially in a taildragger.

Don Broussard

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress

Been flying my -6 since spring of 1993. There has been maybe 1 or 2 times a parking brake would have bee handy. I seldom fly alone. Ann can hold the brakes when I need to chock.

BTW, It's a good idea to get in the habit of using the parking brake on cars for several reasons. 1/ On some cars, the parking brake is what adjusts self adjusting brakes. 2/ The transmission will not always hold the car.

In ten years of flying my 8A there was only one time where the combination of wind and slope on the ramp made me wish for a parking brake. I made a small set of chocks out of some scrap angle with a piece of shoestring to keep them together. Lightweight, cheap, simple, reliable, and maintenance-free. I would put them around the nose wheel any time I needed to keep the airplane from rolling while refueling or for a quick run into the FBO. If I was going to leave the airplane unattended for a longer period of time I'd either borrow some more substantial chocks or tie it down. Keep in mind many FBO chocks won't fit under theRV wheel pants but you can still place them loosely around the wheels just in case.

I would never trust a parking brake to hold the aircraft for an extended period of time, so IMHO it's really only useful for the short time it takes you to hop out and chock at least one wheel...might be trickier in a taildragger, but my -14A won't have a parking brake.

I installed the parking brake during the build, and am glad I did.

The area around the gas pump at our airport is sloped enough that I use it every time I fuel up. Also have used it to keep the plane where I want it during windy days so I could get out and place the chocks.

And, as long as others have brought up the automotive side of things, I do not have a parking brake in any of my cars-------I have an emergency brake. Cable operated instead of hydraulic system, independent backup to the service brakes. Matter of mindset.

Unlike Mel, I usually fly alone. I use the parking brake often!

Waiting for the engine to warm up, talking to clearance, on a hill, in the wind... You get the idea.

I am happy that I installed it!

:cool: CJ

Parking brake installed in my RV-6 when I built it. It has been flying 19-years. Only needed and glad I had the parking brake four (4) times.

I like the parking brake I have in my Piper Arrow, so I've decided to put one in my 14A. I'm also about to pull the trigger and put in the Beringer brakes. If anyone has installed it already I'd sure like to see pics of where they mounted the brake master cylinder and which cable to get for it, how to set that up, and where on the panel they put it.....

I think those that don't use their parking brakes must live and fly in flat areas. Here in the Carolinas I have seen planes roll into ditches.

Even in my yard, on grass, the plane can roll downhill so I set the brake.

My plane was 990 lbs on its first flight, including the parking brake, so they can't be that heavy. Go ahead and install it. Getting out of an airplane that is rolling is always interesting.

Yes on brake

I almost lost a Mooney in a ditch because the parking brake was inop. It was a big enough ditched to destroy the airplane. I put a parking brake on my RV-8. Glad I did. I've needed it twice and I only have 175 hours on the airplane. Colorado winds.....
Bob

If you ever park at the transient near the restaurant at Cable (KCCB), you'll wish you had it. Just use it long enough to jump out and get the chocks in place. My wife's legs are barely long enough to press on the toe brakes! She has to unbelt and scoot forward if I need her to hold the brakes for me while I get the airplane chocked or unchocked.

I almost lost a Mooney in a ditch because the parking brake was inop. It was a big enough ditched to destroy the airplane. I put a parking brake on my RV-8. Glad I did. I've needed it twice and I only have 175 hours on the airplane. Colorado winds.....
Bob

I'm with Bob. In 300 hours I have used mine once, but I was glad to have it.

I'm also glad I did it during the build. If I didn't I would never go back and do it....let's see....install a parking brake in or go fly! :D

Parking Brake

I made a small set of chocks out of some scrap angle with a piece of shoestring to keep them together. Lightweight, cheap, simple, reliable, and maintenance-free. I would put them around the nose wheel any time I needed to keep the airplane from rolling while refueling or for a quick run into the FBO. If I was going to leave the airplane unattended for a longer period of time I'd either borrow some more substantial chocks or tie it down. Keep in mind many FBO chocks won't fit under theRV wheel pants but you can still place them loosely around the wheels just in case.

I would never trust a parking brake to hold the aircraft for an extended period of time, so IMHO it's really only useful for the short time it takes you to hop out and chock at least one wheel...might be trickier in a taildragger, but my -14A won't have a parking brake.

I have a set of the Home Depot Aviation Alum Angle chocks that I made, tied together with a rope, but I was flying by myself and no one was around the FBO to help. The wind was so strong I didn't want to angle the plane sideways and risk misaligning the canopy, so I angled it into the wind. Didn't mean to start a new primer war, but just wanted to share my experience.

I did the PB during the build.....on a rotisserie, easy then, got to be fun after....NOT, and the ASA nose wheel bearing mod, and if you do this mod the plane is going to have a lot LESS rolling resistance and will want to follow you all around....with out you in it :D

I have a set of the Home Depot Aviation Alum Angle chocks that I made, tied together with a rope, but I was flying by myself and no one was around the FBO to help. The wind was so strong I didn't want to angle the plane sideways and risk misaligning the canopy, so I angled it into the wind. Didn't mean to start a new primer war, but just wanted to share my experience.

No war here, just different perspectives. You make a good point about the canopy though...I never had to think about the wind with respect to the slider on my -8A, so that will be a new consideration for me when I get the -14A done. Maybe I'll need a parking brake after all and eat my words :D

This might help make up your mind

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=139859

I still haven't installed one. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Not having a parking brake is usually not a problem for me as long as I have a passenger to hold the tail until I get the chocks put in place. If I was building a tipper again I'd definitely install one while I had good access. I may still do it when the airplane is down for awhile, if I can find the time and coax the old body into doing it.

I did not install a PB during my build, and have no intention of retrofitting one. Have not needed one in four years of flying. But if I were building all over again, would I install a PB? Yes.

parking brake

I installed one during the build. Not hard to do then. I've used once or twice a year for the last three years. I like having it.

I did not install a PB during my build, and have no intention of retrofitting one. Have not needed one in four years of flying. But if I were building all over again, would I install a PB? Yes.

I've been flying my -6 for 15 years and have never wished for a parking brake.

BUT, i'd put one on the next airplane, and might eventually retrofit one to the -6. You never know when you'll land solo somewhere windy or unlevel.

Last edited:
No parking brake. I do have the modified (two tabs on front) Bogart tow bar, which can double as a parking brake. I just have to remember to stow it within reach if flying solo.

In over 10 years on my RV-10 I maybe wished for a parking brake 1 time. So I didn't put one on my RV-14. But, while I was doing my flyoff I had one time I could have used it in the RV-14. I allowed a friend to taxi up to the pump first and that left me hanging, facing uphill to the pump. I made do fine.
Ideally I would have turned the plane and it wouldn't have been an issue.

I do see where they are occasionally of value, but I've heard so many stories of them leaking and really don't care for any added work to install, or locating another place for yet another knob. So I don't have one. It's just a personal preference thing. Many will want it, many will not care. I just don't think the ROI on it would be worth my time in my place. I fly lots of X/C and it's rare that I can't get positioned somehow in a wind friendly position to get out of the plane and get to the pumps.

Installed parking brake on my 8 during build and have been very happy to have it on several occasions. In Puerto Rico, once in Alaska and in several stateside (small) airports with sloped area at gas pumps. If you fly in/out home field and with pax you're good to go without. But, when you need it you really need it.

Why not a line lock?

I've been thinking about this, and was wondering why not use a manual line lock, like from Jegs for $40? Wicked cheap compared to a parking brake, and brake fluid compatibility not withstanding (which I'd have to research), I'm thinking a lock on the pilot side wheel only (making super easy installation) ought to be enough to give time to get out and place the chocks on the plane, esp on a taildragger. Its not gonna roll away - maybe in a slight circle till you get out.

I cant think of any down sides to this. Thoughts?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/63028/10002/-1

I've been thinking about this, and was wondering why not use a manual line lock, like from Jegs for $40? Wicked cheap compared to a parking brake, and brake fluid compatibility not withstanding (which I'd have to research), I'm thinking a lock on the pilot side wheel only (making super easy installation) ought to be enough to give time to get out and place the chocks on the plane, esp on a taildragger. Its not gonna roll away - maybe in a slight circle till you get out.

I cant think of any down sides to this. Thoughts?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/63028/10002/-1

You would need two!

would like to dig out this old thread. I didn't install a parking brake in my almost completed RV7 and think now it would be good to have one. But I hesitate the effort to retrofit the standard parking brake system.

Mani suggested to use a manual line lock (link from Jegs still works). Anybody tried that?

Thanks
Kay

Parking brake

Not sure if there is a "standard" parking brake system for the RV-7. I recently finished installing the Matco PVPV-D valve on a bracket in the upper left corner
(viewed from the pilot seat) of the firewall and it was a PITA trying to establish a good location for the valve.

If I was doing it again, I would consider building a simple 90 degree bracket bolted to the top of the F-6116 rudder pedal bearing block (Beringer locates their parking valve this way). You'll need extra hoses no matter where you locate the valve.

Almost an accident

My buddy was test flying an 8 that had a parking brake valve, but the builder didn?t tell him about. Somehow it vibrated partially on, and after a normal landing, turning off the runway, the brakes slowly stuck on and the plane came to a stop. If before landing he did a brake check to verify the pedals were firm, I imagine it would have nosed over on touchdown.

I flew my -6A for years without a parking brake. Had a routine down, hold brakes, throw chocks on the ground next to left main, exit quickly, catch airplane, use chocks. One day a friend said why don?t you have a parking brake? I had no good response. Next chance installed one. Wouldn?t go back.
Be sure to add to your pre taxi checklist.

The Jegs valve seems like it could work but since it isn't cable actuated then the issue of where you locate it comes up. I'm guessing you would need to put it in the center tunnel area.

Not sure if there is a "standard" parking brake system for the RV-7. I recently finished installing the Matco PVPV-D valve on a bracket in the upper left corner
(viewed from the pilot seat) of the firewall and it was a PITA trying to establish a good location for the valve.

If I was doing it again, I would consider building a simple 90 degree bracket bolted to the top of the F-6116 rudder pedal bearing block (Beringer locates their parking valve this way). You'll need extra hoses no matter where you locate the valve.

I mounted my brake valve in the same location as the vans bracket on the firewall. Used the standard hoses, just had to bend the hard lines a little differently.

RV-4 Odd Brakes?

I purchased an RV-4 without a parking brake. I have about 800 hrs on it and discovered soon after starting to fly with it that by pulling on the rudder wires on either side I could apply the brakes. I have Cleveland masters and reviewed the build diagrams for brakes and the installation seemed to be more or less standard. It does have rudder pedal extensions for the back seat which probably is a factor in this. I really didn't see a down side to this condition since I could not come up with a scenario in which it would be a problem. The upside is that by connecting a bungee cord of appropriate length to the back seat rudder pedal extensions and wrapping it around the back seat stick I have both a control lock and a parking brake. I have done this several times on temporary stops, but it doesn't help much parking in strong winds.

Back