What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prime or dimple first

chaliboy

I'm New Here
Just Curious,

I have always prime painted prior to dimple. Working on the Empennage, will soon start the tail cone.

The manual seems to lean toward Dimpling first. As I get to the end of the tail kit, there seems to be less or weaker guidance on when to prime.

Any idea or suggestion. Haven't had any issues with painting first....

I always fabricate, then prime. I put the parts in a pile until I have to start riveting things together to move on. That is when I prime.

Carl

I've done both.

It's way easier to prime first then dimple. But you have to use a good primer that won't come off when flexed. In my experience it does not work with self etching primer, but the Sherwin-Williams stuff I am using works great when applied before dimpling.

I've done both and haven't found much difference. May depend on the primer--I use SW P60G2. If you decide to dimple first and need to scuff to prep for primer, do it before dimpling.

I used to deburr and dimple, then prime. I got tired of destroying my fingers while scuffing over dimples to prepare for primer though. Now I mostly clean/scuff first, then dimple, then prime. It just depends on the build order though. For example, in building the wings, I scuffed and primed ribs first so I could rivet them to the spar and match drill to skins, then I dimpled them in place. As long as the primer has had long enough to truly cure, I haven't seen an issue with dimpling causing primer problems.

I'm having to switch up my technique. I was dimpling then priming, but learned I shouldn't be dimpling with the outer plastic on. I like to leave it on to mask for overspray. I'm really not interested in the whole trimming and peeling rivet lines technique—though if it is the only option would do it.

I'm hoping I can prime with the plastic on, peel, and dimple.

Wondering if there are drawbacks to this workflow...

I'm having to switch up my technique. I was dimpling then priming, but learned I shouldn't be dimpling with the outer plastic on. I like to leave it on to mask for overspray. I'm really not interested in the whole trimming and peeling rivet lines technique—though if it is the only option would do it.

I'm hoping I can prime with the plastic on, peel, and dimple.

Wondering if there are drawbacks to this workflow...

IMHO ditch the plastic unless you plan on polishing. I used a downdraft paint booth and didn't have any problem with overspray on the opposite side.

And for the record, I primed (SW wash primer), then dimpled.

Last edited:
Order of operations

I've done both and haven't found much difference. May depend on the primer--I use SW P60G2. If you decide to dimple first and need to scuff to prep for primer, do it before dimpling.

That's the order I've always used. P60G2 as well
Fit
Scuff
Dimple
Wash
Prime

A little bit of overspray will come right off when you prep for paint. Didn't know it was possible to dimple with the plastic still on.

Rattle can primer here. FWIW the primer is too easy to scuff off initially, so priming is my last step before riveting. Primer does seem to be much more durable on the already completed parts, but don't have a good feel for how long it takes for the primer to fully harden (weeks?)

Vans' Told Me....

Asked this very question (along with several others).

They said there is a mostly theoretical difference, that dimpling can be done after priming with no ill effect.

Cheers!
Mike

Back