What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft sq. footage

kboyd59

Approx. how many gal. of paint will be needed to paint an RV-9A, I was talking to the sales rep at the paint store and he ask how many square feet the I would be covering on the plane. Thanks.

I will give you a data point. I am building a Rans S-16 which is a little smaller in size. I just painted with a single stage PTI poly-u product and I bought 1 gallon primer, 1 gallon of the color for the entire bottom, 1 gallon on another color for the entire top, and 2 quarts of a third color for the sides. I did a WWII Navy paint scheme - white on bottom, grey-blue on the sides and dark blue on top. I did a single light coat.

I will give you a data point. I am building a Rans S-16 which is a little smaller in size. I just painted with a single stage PTI poly-u product and I bought 1 gallon primer, 1 gallon of the color for the entire bottom, 1 gallon on another color for the entire top, and 2 quarts of a third color for the sides. I did a WWII Navy paint scheme - white on bottom, grey-blue on the sides and dark blue on top. I did a single light coat.

How did you like the single stage PTI? Some other VAF reports had users saying it was hard to spray...

PTI

Hey there, if you have any feed back on our products please do share we are always trying to see how builders are using our products and how we can educate our customers. I have seen a lot of people in this forum saying that our products is hard to apply. I have used the products extensively and found that when I use the correct application process that it is a very easy coating to apply. I have also gotten the opportunity to visit with some of PTI's customers, see their projects first hand as well as walk them through the process and I think they too would agree that PTI, given the necessary knowledge is a very user friendly and long lasting product.

I think I used two gallons of white, one gallon of red ($$) basecoat and two gallons of clear plus the activators. I had plenty of paint left over, but buying gallons was cheaper than quarts and I did NOT want to run out. I also used a top quality paint with excellent coverage. Oh, and a quart of black for trim that was also used to dial in my setup.
Not sure on primer because that was put on at different times.

Hey there, if you have any feed back on our products please do share we are always trying to see how builders are using our products and how we can educate our customers. I have seen a lot of people in this forum saying that our products is hard to apply. I have used the products extensively and found that when I use the correct application process that it is a very easy coating to apply. I have also gotten the opportunity to visit with some of PTI's customers, see their projects first hand as well as walk them through the process and I think they too would agree that PTI, given the necessary knowledge is a very user friendly and long lasting product.

It might help the image of your product if you gave more detailed application instructions....:)

This data sheet is pretty minimal -

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/PTI-PU-POLYURETHANE.pdf

...and this general sheet does not get into an application process -

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/aboutPTI.pdf

Is there more detailed application information floating around?

good point Gil

About the application process of pti paint. I am a not so happy customer, had what appeared as pinholes on the first second try with that stuff, probably something about "gassing". Not really happy, surface was clean maybe it was too much airpressure I just dont know. They formed well after paint was layed on. Air supply was dry, surface clean, temps right. Another biggie for me was the fact that I ordered it from aircraft spruce and when it arrived, it was already 6 months into the one year of shelf life. That was not good. I also ordered some pti poly accelerator and it was one year Past the shelf life, so Ive decided to go another route.

bird

How did you like the single stage PTI? Some other VAF reports had users saying it was hard to spray...

Having never painted before I am by no means an expert. I bought the paint over 5 years ago and waited to paint (bought a new Cirrus in the meantime and have been flying it). Finally I shook the paint, contacted PTI for advise and decided to go for it. I went for it in a big way by lining the walls in my garage with plastic and shooting primer and three different colors in one day. It shot well as far as I know. I had no issues at all. I attribute any flaws to my inexperience. I like the results. I am now in the process of wet sanding and taking care of some of my imperfections.

One thing I can tell you is that whenever I asked questions i got great support from PTI. I didn't get catalyst from ACS when I bought the product years ago and PTI provided it for free and hand delivered it to my house. Sean took the time to help me map out a strategy for painting and answered all of my many questions. The support was fantastic.

I love the results...it looks just like I had envisioned. The paint, now two weeks later, seems really strong. I am planning the decals now to make it a mini warbird.

Most of my issues are thin spots, some orange peel, and debris. All part of my learning process and acceptable to me. I am not building a showplane.

Another biggie for me was the fact that I ordered it from aircraft spruce and when it arrived, it was already 6 months into the one year of shelf life. That was not good. I also ordered some pti poly accelerator and it was one year Past the shelf life, so Ive decided to go another route.
bird

The shelf life is just a gauge. If stored properly, it should last longer. I stored the paint for 4-5 years unopened in my garage. About one year before using it I bought a pneumatic paint shaker from Harbor Freight and shook it every couple of months. When Opened it seemed to be fine, so I shot it.

Last edited:
Just measured an -8

The auto body shop that is going to paint our plane asked the same question. So, I measured my -8 today.

Came up with 303 square feet. Will round up to 310 for error.

Last edited:
Back