What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit Paint Quantity

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi!

For those who have top coated their cockpits (including baggage area etc) - what quantity of paint did you use? Is a quart enough?

Specifically I was planning on Stewart Systems EkoCrylic, probably in some kind of grey.

Marty at Stewart says their paint will cover 75 sqft - I’ve no idea what the surface area of the cockpit would be of course.

If anyone has used EkoCrylic or EkoPoly I would love to see what your cockpit colors look like.

Thanks in advance!

I think that a quart may be cutting it fine to do everything, it depends though on how it is applied.

I used a litre (bit more than a quart) of Nason semi-gloss polyurethane, which has 25% hardener added plus 20% reducer, so 1.5 litres of mixed paint for RV-6A interior, including seat backs, all floors and baggage compartment sides & bulkhead. Picked a medium gray after trying a lighter gray that looked almost white on the large surfaces.

so 1.5 litres of mixed paint for RV-6A interior, including seat backs, all floors and baggage compartment sides & bulkhead.

EkoCrylic is 4:1:1 - but the ‘quart’ includes the catalyst. So I would end up with 1.1 litres or so of mixed paint. Plus the flattener which is up to a pint for every quart - I would end up with 1.4 litres or so.

If my imperial measurements are up to par.

I guess the dilemma is being imported, if you run out then there will be an additional shipping cost and delay, versus being able to buy it locally. A quart may be enough... or just not quite!

My maths: 1 US gallon is 3.8 litres, 4 quarts per gallon, so 1 quart would be 0.95 litres, theoretically...

Last edited:
Paint calculator

I use a paint calculator. It's on my blog for download.
Typically I shoot around 2 ft² per mixed ounce. Every paint mixes a little different but the coverage rate doesn't change much. Usually a top coat is two coats inside and three outside. The third allows some extra for cut & buff.

This is a timely thread as I finished painting my -7 interior roughly 24 hours ago. I used exactly one quart of stewart systems boulder grey to paint the interior. I shot in two 600 gram batches - one for removable panels shot outside of the plane and another for the plane/non-removable components. I mixed flattener at a 2:1 ratio. This is my third project using stewart systems and I'm pretty happy with the results. Ill post a pic of the results after I break down the paint booth.

Last edited:
This is a timely thread as I finished painting my -7 interior roughly 24 hours ago. I used exactly one quart of stewart systems boulder grey to paint the interior. I shot in two 600 gram batches - one for removable panels shot outside of the plane and another for the plane/non-removable components. I mixed flattener at a 2:1 ratio. This is my third project using stewart systems and I'm pretty happy with the results. Ill post a pic of the results after I break down the paint booth.

Thanks Rob,

Would love to see it. That’s probably the color I would choose based on some rough web paint swatches.

Did you use EkoCrylic or EkoPoly?
Did you do the 3 light fog coat / 1 wet coat method? What size tip did you use on the gun?

To add to the chorus, I used less than a quart of Stewart Systems Ecocrylic (in battleship grey) to do my 9A interior (including cover panels), with flattener at a 2:1 ratio (on top of Ecopoxy primer). If you mixed up just the right amount and were really good, you'd probably be closer to half a quart than a full.

I did the fog/fog/fog/wet coat procedure with the Harbor Freight Black Widow HTE HVLP with a 1.3 mm tip, mixed/thinned per the instructions.

Attachments

• PXL_20230210_211250106.jpg
    PXL_20230210_211250106.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 194
I used Ekocrylic with their flattener shot through a Devilbiss hvlp with a 1.2mm nozzle and 20 psi minimum at the gun. The first coat is very light, followed by 3 progressively heavier coats. You want to wait 10-15 mins between coats or until the surface becomes tacky. The key is to shoot on a dry day with temps between 60-80f. It was an 8 hour day from start to finish.

I've made pressurized booths with filtered air in the past, but given the fact that this is a flat interior finish and 80% of this stuff will be covered by seats or hidden behind other things, I decided to go with a simple pop up tent with plastic walls.
IMG-8145.jpg

IMG-8154.jpg

Last edited:
To add to the chorus, I used less than a quart of Stewart Systems Ecocrylic (in battleship grey) to do my 9A interior (including cover panels), with flattener at a 2:1 ratio

That looks awesome!

I used Ekocrylic with their flattener shot through a Devilbiss hvlp with a 1.2mm nozzle and 20 psi minimum at the gun.

Also looks awesome. Is that the smoke grey? Did you also do 2:1 flattener?

Depends on Interior. I only sprayed what is not covered by Classic Aero interior.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2740.jpg
    IMG_2740.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 76
Back