What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 baggage mods

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Not only do I have access to the pitch servo and ELT but extended baggage was desired to carry something long like a shotgun or fishing poles.

The extended baggage can also be used for soft items like jackets or a sleeping bag and pillows for Oshkosh. Nothing heavy and will be added to weight and balance calculations. It probably will be placarded for 10 pounds max after I setting up another location for W&B calculations.

My battery has been moved forward to the forward baggage hold to offset W&B.

The baggage shelf has been reinforced to maintain strength since there is an inspection panel there now.

Camlocks are used to make access easy.

According to Mel, the bulkeads are structural in previous posts so the haven’t been modified with holes to weaken for items such as golf clubs tubes. And of course the grip ends of clubs would nice fit without a weight issue.

Since this is a rebuild, it’s all built with scrap.

Attachments

• IMG_5926.jpg
    IMG_5926.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5928.jpg
    IMG_5928.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Very nice! Is that shelf removable in the event you need to get into the back of the fuselage?….which really, come to think of it, may not be necessary??

It can be removed. Once the forward shelf comes out, lift, turn, and out it comes.
Held in place with 6 screws.

Lots of Rockets have this mod (mine included). Equally useful is the elimination of the shelf over the battery and belcrank.

Back