What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear canopy rail

benjam

Hi Builders.

I am in the process of commencing the canopy install. This is where the plans expect you know what you’re doing - but I’m not at that point yet!

The plans call to countersink C804 and C805 to accept a 426 3-6 rivet Top and Bottom. What does this mean? Should there be a countersink in the bottom of the C805 so that there is no shop head hanging out at the bottom of the whole piece?

I get the screw holes that go through the skin too, but how are the rivets going to work?

Any help or piccies out there please?

You will find that this rail will sit flush with the fuselage skin. The top side must be flat so the canopy can traverse fore and aft. This is why both sides have to be countersunk.

Build the two pieces, the narrow thick rod sit on the bottom, the wider strip sits on top.

Combine these two looks like the 2nd picture

Attachments

• 20200729_202744.jpg
    20200729_202744.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200727_183610.jpg
    20200727_183610.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 103
Thanks PhatRV.

So you countersink the top face of the top piece and the bottom face of the lower piece?

So the rivet gets squashed into the lower countersink instead of having a nice shop head?

Have I got that right?

Double flush

Thanks PhatRV.

So you countersink the top face of the top piece and the bottom face of the lower piece?

So the rivet gets squashed into the lower countersink instead of having a nice shop head?

Have I got that right?

Yes. It's double flush

Back