What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Size Vent?

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I want to use the Steinair aluminum air vents on my -14. I see they offer two sizes: 1.25 and 1.625". Can someone advise which size I need to get for my build? I assume I need corresponding plenums.

I recommend the larger size, I have those from Stein and really like them.

Once I was in a friend's RV and he has the smaller size vent and the air seemed to be pointed at one spot much more and causing that spot to be cold and else where not as much. A bigger vent will have a slower speed and probably more air but maybe not as concentrated to one narrow spot.

I want to use the Steinair aluminum air vents on my -14. I see they offer two sizes: 1.25 and 1.625". Can someone advise which size I need to get for my build? I assume I need corresponding plenums.
I'm thinking of using the SteinAir vents in my RV-14 as well. Did you end up using them and if so, was it easy to substitute them over the factory vents?

I'm thinking of using the SteinAir vents in my RV-14 as well. Did you end up using them and if so, was it easy to substitute them over the factory vents?
Brian, years ago I bought a flying -9A with the stock Van's plastic vents, which worked fine in the summer but leaked a lot in the winter. When I built the -9A I am flying now, I went with the high dollar Stein larger vents. Way better looking and no leaks. I am building a -14A now and went with the Stein vents again. A VAF member made me a deal on a set of the smaller size that I took. You have to be a little creative to adapt the vents to the panel, but nothing you can't handle. You will be glad you did every time you touch and rotate the vent collar to adjust the airflow.

I am building a -14A now and went with the Stein vents again.
Thanks for the reply Doug. In looking forward in the plans I see there are two sets of vents. One on the firewall for heat, the other on the sides of the fuselage for cool air. Did you replace all four vents or are the SteinAir vents only used for the cool air vents? Sorry, I'm a new builder and I've never flown in an RV.

Obviously everyone flies in different climates and have differing preferences for heat and ventilation, but having said that I’d definitely go for the bigger ones for fresh air if for no other reason that you can always close them! You can’t make them bigger if you need more…
They are good quality and don’t leak.
I have the 1-5/8 version. When it’s hot on the ground I can get a lot of air through them. Then just shut them as required as I climb.

Thanks for the reply Doug. In looking forward in the plans I see there are two sets of vents. One on the firewall for heat, the other on the sides of the fuselage for cool air. Did you replace all four vents or are the SteinAir vents only used for the cool air vents? Sorry, I'm a new builder and I've never flown in an RV.
The vents I am talking about are the round eyeball type outlets in the lower corners of the panel that blow in outside air. You rotate the outer collar to open and close the Stein vents. The stock plastic vents have a little lever you move. The heater vents are located on the firewall near the bottom on each side, and are controlled with push/pull cables.

Back