Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:04 PM

Default Wing Tip issue

Curious question.

Van's, shipped me a couple to parts (903 and 904's) for the elevator wing tips. These parts had been previously fluted and dimpled. They did not have the customary blue plastic protective coating. Not really concerned about that, but I have spend a lot of time trying to get them to fit, and cannot.

Given the fluting and dimpling in them, it 'looks' like maybe they had been worked on by another builder and returned to vans previously? Already fluted and dimpled? surely they aren't shipped that way as a standard.

has anyone else received elevator wing tip parts fluted and dimpled from the factory?? Anyone else have issues with them aligning with the holes in 913??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3607.JPEG
Views:	128
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	5453  
Working on the tail
QB Fuse ordered
Donation 2020 made

Last edited by mndless : 12-07-2020 at 09:32 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-07-2020, 09:37 PM

Yes, mine were like that as well. Seemed weird but I got them to fit. They were fluted for sure but I donít remember if they were dimpled.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndless View Post
Curious question.

Van's, shipped me a couple to parts (903 and 904's) for the elevator wing tips. These parts had been previously fluted and dimpled. They did not have the customary blue plastic protective coating. Not really concerned about that, but I have spend a lot of time trying to get them to fit, and cannot.

Given the fluting and dimpling in them, it 'looks' like maybe they had been worked on by another builder and returned to vans previously? Already fluted and dimpled? surely they aren't shipped that way as a standard.

has anyone else received elevator wing tip parts fluted and dimpled from the factory?? Anyone else have issues with them aligning with the holes in 913??
I had the exact same thoughts when I saw those parts a few months ago.
They are not used. Vans needs to bend them then heat treat. Hence the missing blue plastic. One of them ,canít remember which is also a bit wonky in the middle because that is where you have 2 skins overlapping. Trust me they will work. I just finished the tips a few weeks ago.

Cheers
Keith

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2022
Old 12-08-2020, 08:42 AM

I can echo Keith's answer as well. I asked the same thing when I was at that point to Van's. They responded with a couple pictures showing a stack enough for around 10, RV-10's, all, peeled and pre-prepped as you describe, along with describing they are supposed to be that way. There is a funky 'joggle' on one of them that might be part of the reason too.

Thanks,
Lance
Old 12-08-2020, 12:49 PM

Yep thatís normal. That part of the elevator is unbelievably frustrating to get to line up. I worked hours on them including reordering one of them and was never 100% happy with them but they seemed to turn out ok after riveting.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:00 PM

Yup!

I just finished riveting all of that together. There's no way I am OCD!!! I'm not!

But, I was really bothered by the lack of perfect alignment when the riveting was done.

As I recall, some of the dimples were done.

Thanks to a COVID forced shutdown--re-evaluated and completing a 40 yr dream of flying and building.

Nearing completion of tail cone. Feathers mounted and dialed in. Starting the specialty of fiberglass.

Passed the written. Check ride soon.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:07 PM

Yeah, this may have been one of the hardest things to do "right". I recall having to use multiple vices and clamps to try to line everything up correctly, since fluting can cause small bends in unintended directions. Later, I had to use my entire body weight to try to pull everything a bit straighter. Also found myself grinding a bit of the edges away to leave clearance with the rest of the stabilizer. The adverse bends in the parts due to fluting does lead to a bit of contact unless you really get it straight early.
Panel in 2Q 2021
Flying fall 2021?

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 11 for 2021, EAA and AOPA member
Old 12-10-2020, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I have spent a few days 'thinking' about this. Sterling, at Van's, gave me a reply that initially I did not understand... one of those things that just doesn't make any sense... but, that is probably the case for a lot of what we do..

Going to spend another couple of days thinking about how to tackle this... but, I do now understand the approach and the objective...

Great appreciate the input.

T
Working on the tail
QB Fuse ordered
Donation 2020 made
Old 12-10-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr View Post
Yup!

I just finished riveting all of that together. There's no way I am OCD!!! I'm not!

But, I was really bothered by the lack of perfect alignment when the riveting was done.

As I recall, some of the dimples were done.
yep.. I know what you mean
Working on the tail
QB Fuse ordered
Donation 2020 made