What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What should I put in my panel?!?!?

Jason2020

I'm New Here
I'm Building a Garmin g3x panel for my RV-8 and I have a couple of questions.
1. One radio or two? I've always had 2 radios but the new tech looks like it is easier to just have one.
2. Anybody put in 2 10 inch screens and make them fit?
3. Wire the panel myself or pay for someone to do it?

Thanks

1. IFR - 2 radios, VFR - 1 radio (This is strictly my opinion)

2. If you search through the "show me your panel" in the RV8 section you'll see a few with dual Dynon and Garmin screens. I have dual GRT Sport EX screens.

3. I have a wiring harness that was made for my avionics. I'm still chasing issues, some my fault some the builders fault. Either way you go it takes time to run the wires and get it all talking.

I made 2 10” dynon screens fit an -8 panel but minimal extra space. Remote nav and transponder. 2 7” stacked would be much cleaner and allow for normal avionics stack.

I would not do 2 radios unless IFR. If you do 2, you add an audio panel - more real estate on your crowded panel.

Last edited:
Radios

I installed a second radio as an emergency backup radio. It has it's own set of headphone jacks and is on a separate breaker. If there is a problem with my primary radio I can plug my headphones into the backup radio. You lose intercom in this situation, but can still talk with ATC. John

1. One radio or two? I've always had 2 radios but the new tech looks like it is easier to just have one.

Thanks
I am installing 1 10" dynon HDX EFIS, one radio on my VFR RV8. I mount all the radio, transponder, adsb, on the avionics tray behind the panel. I am doing all the wiring myself. It seemed daunting at first but I was able to get the hang of wiring the various connectors in a short amount of time.

The most challenging aspect of wiring for me is to make it looking neet and tidy like some pictures in the recent post by Vic.

Last edited:
1. IFR - 2 radios, VFR - 1 radio (This is strictly my opinion)

2. If you search through the "show me your panel" in the RV8 section you'll see a few with dual Dynon and Garmin screens. I have dual GRT Sport EX screens.

3. I have a wiring harness that was made for my avionics. I'm still chasing issues, some my fault some the builders fault. Either way you go it takes time to run the wires and get it all talking.

1 - Define your mission.
2 - Equip your panel to complete that mission.

:cool:

Two people are thinking the same as I.

TRY very hard not to put in more than what is required. Saves weight, money, and time. Yes backup and redundancy is nice BUT adds weight, cost, and time.

Typically an Amateur Built Experimental aircraft requires NOTHING for DAY VFR. The operating limitations says that it must meet the requirements for 91.205 IF operated Night and or IFR.

I am of the opinion that meet the requirements is what I want and try very hard not to exceed the requirements.

Back in the old days of KX-175B radios, having two radios made a real difference. When flip-flop radios came along, the difference was less. I used to be big in the two radio camp, and my RV-9A came with two radios. However, as part of a panel clean up, I ditched the second radio -- in part because the first radio had a monitor feature, meaning that when there was no traffic on the "main" frequency, the radio would automatically monitor (listen to) the secondary feature. Frankly, this works for me, even IFR out of an airport within Class C airspace.

Backup comm radio? Not concerned. If I do lost comm IFR, there are procedures for that, and radio failures these days seem rare -- I'm not sure I've heard of one in the last few decades.

There have been RV-8 panels built with two, 10" screens -- but figure out what information you'll want to display at once, and how many screens you'l need. With four years of G3X Touch under my belt, I find that I *never* use a full screen display for anything -- the sides of the display have no information of value. If I were putting in G3X Touch in an RV-8, I'd consider one 10" + GTN750, or one each 10" and 7".

I think you're asking the right questions. I've found that many people have strong opinions on how good their choices are when what they really mean is that they have come to like the process of choosing and installing. This goes for many other things, too, like which is the best airplane (think Bonanzas).

If you ever make it to Savannah, I'll give you a ride and let you fuss with the screens in flight and make your best decision.

You've heard of one now! :)

If I do lost comm IFR, there are procedures for that, and radio failures these days seem rare -- I'm not sure I've heard of one in the last few decades.

Well, to be honest it was sort of a multiple radio failure, with neither of my panel radios actually to blame. My whole panel took a dump on me a while back, on a night IFR flight (in VMC, I'm happy to say....). I then discovered that the "half" battery indication in my handheld did NOT ensure that the handheld actually had sufficient power to transmit. Ahem.

I motored home uneventfully on a battery-backed-up G5 and an iPad with ForeFlight. I remember thinking at the time that I was much better equipped than Lindbergh, and he survived just fine!

That weird scenario to one side, I'd agree that modern radios don't have many problems, especially if you supply power to them.... I wouldn't hesitate to fly my typical "gentleman's IFR" with one SL30 (or other radio with a monitor function).

For my backup com radio, I bought a Sporty’s PJ2 handheld. My headset plugs directly in to it, and if I want to install a coax inline splice, I could connect it to my external antenna. That might not be necessary, but in the event of a com radio failure, it would work better than the whip antenna on the radio. That whip has worked OK for me though in testing - 20 miles or more if I’m not too low.

Thanks

More money is always good:D

......to fly my typical "gentleman's IFR" with one SL30......

I'm not sure what that means, maybe comparable to somewhat pregnant. Anyway, I've used my SL-30 as the only radio during the past 15 years of flight in both VFR and IFR conditions (sometimes to minimums as necessary).

Back