What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring for an iPad?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I see many references to putting an iPad in the back seat for us -8 guys. Presumably for the Foreflight display, or maybe even inflight movies?

What power or data are you piping to that iPad? Does it's own internal GPS do a good enough job to power the moving map? Any challenges with such an installation?

My USD 0.02:

Wire in a few USB charging ports, have some cables on hand, and let the GIB hold the ipad or iphone or other tablet. Make sure the USB ports don't generate noise - lots of discussion about that on VAF.

If you really want a fixed mount for them, I'd use a RAM or Arkon mount - very cheap, solid, easy to install, and the GIB can change the angle as needed.

Ive been flying with just USB power ports in back, and on shorter flights we dont even plug it in. As for a data source, most devices in the cockpit are streaming now anyway so the internal GPS on the iPad is not all that important. In my case, I can grab data from multiple on board sources - The GNX375, the Stratus, or now the Uavonics ADS-b device all stream position and traffic to my iPads/phones

I use a PIVOT case because that’s what we use at work. The backseat will have an iPad mini with a PIVOT mount and case. The backseat iPad mini will also have the Foreflight passenger app so that my wife can follow along with the flight or she can watch a movie.

Back