What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Tall Pilot Option

dirtybirdy80

I'm New Here
I'm looking to build my first Vans aircraft, and after getting the chance to ride in an RV-8, I will definitely be going with this model (slow build kit).

My only issue is that when I sat in the front seat, my knees were hitting the bottom of the panel. The rudder pedals were all the way forward and the extra seat cushion was taken out. There was plenty of head and elbow room.

The Vans website says that the RV-8 can fit pilots a lot taller than me. Im 6'4" with long legs. Does the tall pilot option move the seat back, or just recline it back for more headroom? Or could I situate the front seat further back when I'm building the fuselage?

Any information would be greatly be appreciated.

I'm 6'6"

And I fit just fine, but I have an 8A, which provides a little more side to side room for your legs cause the gear towers aren't in the way. Also making the back cushion real thin or taking it out all together helps a lot. I also moved the seat back act at the bottom where it hinges at the floor by 1.5" providing some much needed room. I don't feel that the tall pilot option helps with leg room. Also, I used ground adjustable rudder pedals and positioned them so the are farther forward then the in flight adjustable. Bottom line, I'd bet you a beer your fit quite nicely in a properly modified 8. These adjustments were all very simple!

Randy
8A

The tall pilot option changes the weldment the front seat rests against. It reclines the seat which drops your head in the canopy. There is no change to the leg room. That said, there are some things you can do during the build to increase the leg/knee room. I am not far enough along to have sat in mine yet but I ordered the tall pilot option and also modified the front seat bottom attachment location to get me a little more leg room. Based on the couple completed 8s I have sat in I suspect I will need to run a thin pad on the front seat back to gain a little more room too because my knees were very close to the bottom of the panel during full pedal deflection.

Hi Rob

Might be worth checking the RV-8 you sat in had a "standard" panel... some add so many insts / gadgets they make a taller panel.

In reverse, if the panel is the sole issue (and not the metalwork behind), you could easily adapt the panel to make it less tall...

Go far it...

You well find that the flight adjustable peddles will give you a lot of leg room that you may not have had in the one you sat in.. I am not quite 6'1" and have standard to on the long side legs. The flight adjustable peddles and the standard seat back mount work OK for me. You can put the tall pilot seat back mount in if you fined you like it down the road. The ground adjustable peddles are lighter and I think cheaper, but I would not give up the easy to adjust in flight adjustable ones. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I'm looking to build my first Vans aircraft, and after getting the chance to ride in an RV-8, I will definitely be going with this model (slow build kit).

My only issue is that when I sat in the front seat, my knees were hitting the bottom of the panel. The rudder pedals were all the way forward and the extra seat cushion was taken out. There was plenty of head and elbow room.

The Vans website says that the RV-8 can fit pilots a lot taller than me. Im 6'4" with long legs. Does the tall pilot option move the seat back, or just recline it back for more headroom? Or could I situate the front seat further back when I'm building the fuselage?

Any information would be greatly be appreciated.

Before you go with the tall pilot option, you might try the leg room again with seat cushions that position your head an couple of inches below the canopy, or whatever height you prefer. I'm 6'3 and I seem to remember having leg room problems until I installed the cushions, which actually result in more leg room the thicker they are.

BTW, I do not have the tall pilot option but do have inflight adjustable pedals and fly normally three notches from full forward. Occasionally on long trips I move it further forward a notch.

-John

Forgot to mention

With the ground adjustable pedals, there is room to slip your feet under the pedals and rest your feet on the firewall. This is great and requires no modification. Works well on long cross countries.

You need the tall guy option, period. I'm 6'1" and fit just fine. Had a 6'4" guy sit in mine with the pedals,all the way forward and his knees were into the panel. I don't have any add-ons on the bottom of the panel.

Tall mod.

Here's what I did. I'm 6'-4" to 6'-6" depending on my posture. I discovered that the biggest problem with fitting in my -8 was getting my knees to clear the panel when I was getting in/out.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=923340&postcount=536

I also, moved the piano hinge at the seatback, back to the next row of rivets…about 1-1/4" more legroom.
I'm sure I will use thinner seat cushions, too.

Last edited:
Tall option

I'm wondering if there is anybody in Oklahoma or close that has moved the seat back the 1-1/2 inches. I'm 6'8 and would like to briefly set in one with the seat moved back to see if I can fit. Fairly thin but am concerned about height. I would just fly to wherever you are to see. Thanks.
Don Oltman
[email protected]

Tall pilot fixes

I'm 6'7" and have the tall pilot option for the RV-8A. As stated above, that just tilts the seat back a couple of inches. Outside of that I moved the bottom hinge back 2" (then needed to make some adjustments to the openings for the seat belt attach points and had to lower the upper stiffener at the top of the seatback 3/8"). But the biggest thing for me was to trim the instrument panel by removing 2 inches along the bottom. I have a minimally equipped panel (Single G3X Touch (10.6" GDU) so no issues with the loss of panel space. I also have the ground adjustable pedals in the most forward position and the stock Vans seat cushions and I don't think I'll need to trim them to be thinner (still building in Arlington, TX).

Did a test fit of my seats today..
The wedge cushion I got with my seats makes a big (good) difference in the angle of my leg compared to no wedge. still close to bottom of panel, but not too bad.

I am still looking at the tall pilot option(WD-823-PC I think)
as I like to be a little further away from the panel..

/Andy

Here's what I did. I'm 6'-4" to 6'-6" depending on my posture. I discovered that the biggest problem with fitting in my -8 was getting my knees to clear the panel when I was getting in/out.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=923340&postcount=536

I also, moved the piano hinge at the seatback, back to the next row of rivets…about 1-1/4" more legroom.
I'm sure I will use thinner seat cushions, too.

Nice job on that panel!

Last edited:
Been lurking on the forum for the past month or so. I'd like to build an RV-8...I think or a 7. Tandem vs. side-by-side, better pilot experience vs. better passenger experience? Lots of questions to be answered yet.

Right now I'm weighing the costs and doing a ton of research figuring out how to pay for all this. I'm tall, 6'5" and mostly legs. There are some good tips here for modifications, I really like the panel mod. If I can avoid modifications in the future that would be ideal.

I'm located about an hour south of Des Moines, IA and if I could get the opportunity to sit in one to put my mind at ease that would be great. Is there anyone in the area with a completed 8? There is an RV gathering in Boon, IA June 16th, but I won't be able to make it.

-Mark

Been lurking on the forum for the past month or so. I'd like to build an RV-8...I think or a 7. Tandem vs. side-by-side, better pilot experience vs. better passenger experience? Lots of questions to be answered yet.

Right now I'm weighing the costs and doing a ton of research figuring out how to pay for all this. I'm tall, 6'5" and mostly legs. There are some good tips here for modifications, I really like the panel mod. If I can avoid modifications in the future that would be ideal.

I'm located about an hour south of Des Moines, IA and if I could get the opportunity to sit in one to put my mind at ease that would be great. Is there anyone in the area with a completed 8? There is an RV gathering in Boon, IA June 16th, but I won't be able to make it.

-Mark

I'm 6'5" and building an RV8 fastback, it's not a specific tall person mod, but it does give myself and the rear seat more room.

Sitting in the planes and comparing is the only way to go. Oshkosh is a few weeks away and a 5-6hr drive from that part of the country. :D

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, personally I'll fly the plane solo most of the time and tandem/centerline seating is my prefered pilot experience.

As for the passenger experience, it varies by passenger. Some don't want to sit in the back and look at the back of your head. Others like my wife don't have any ambition to fly(can't even get her to tune the radios) and prefers tandem seating as she gets all the room to herself.

Thanks for the reply Aaron, unfortunately I won't be making Oskhosh this year. My only fear about the tandem is my girlfriend gets motion sick (never been in a small GA airplane) and I'm hoping her experience in the Cardinal, that I'm using right now for training, will be pleasant for her. Anyway, thanks for the info.

-Mark

Back