What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine and Propeller for RV-8

N84TG

I'm New Here
I am about to order an engine and propeller for my RV8, but which cs prop works best? I am leaning to Hartzel metal but would be interested in some insite from others.

Hi Tim

If there was a "clear" best, then everyone would use one!

As ever a compromise between:
  1. Weight
  2. Cost
  3. Looks
  4. High Speed Performance
  5. Low Speed Performance
  6. Vibration
  7. Servicing intervals / costs
Hartzell metal works well on most counts except weight. MT 3 blade high cost, reports of excessive servicing costs, and good low speed performance with a loss at the high speed end.

We are now using the Hartzell composite which is, IMO, fantastic - except possibly on the cost front ;) 15lbs lighter than the metal, less vibration, excellent low speed perf without a high speed loss.

Thanks for the reply. I like the looks of the composit Hartzel for what thats worth however for some reason I thought they lost a bit at the top end. Maybe it was from talking to my Cirus friend.
I am seriously looking at the R-Series engine from Titan, any opinions on this combo? (IO-360)

Ditto:

Andy is correct. It is what kind of flying you wish to do. It is to much to ask, that we try out one of each like a pair of shoes at the Mall. You are not on your own here, but asking does invite personal preference to the table. My 2 cents take a good long look at what you really want the airplane to do and don't spend any more than you need to get that. Even if you have to give up a little. These are such good little airplanes you will be able to live with just about any of the props out there now-a-day. We went with Prince, P tip or Q if you like carbon overlay, with edge protected. A "C.S"., Sen., M.T., you may not get your money back out of the high end C.S. props, but they do have the best range of utility. Hope this helps. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Are you sure you want a constant speed prop? In the beginning of my build, I made that assumption and later changed it to a Catto fixed pitch prop. Much lower cost and complexity to install and I have a feeling that I won't give up much speed-wise. If you haven't really examined this question, you should before spending the money...

Thanks for the reply. I like the looks of the composit Hartzel for what thats worth however for some reason I thought they lost a bit at the top end. Maybe it was from talking to my Cirus friend.
I am seriously looking at the R-Series engine from Titan, any opinions on this combo? (IO-360)

In regards to this question, be aware that the more you get "off the reservation" with new engines, induction manifolds, injectors, etc., the longer (perhaps much longer) it will take to finish your FWF task list since nothing Van's sells will work FWF. You may be fabricating your cable mounting brackets, induction routing, baffles, etc. If you have experience doing this or just enjoy figuring this stuff out, then have at it. Otherwise, I'd be looking at a Lycoming or a true Lycoming clone with the Bendix/Precision injector, etc. Also, before you make these decisions, I'd contact Vetterman and get their opinion since they will be fabricating your exhaust.

FWF is a domino game where once you knock one domino down (ie-make a non-standard choice), it may cause other dominos to fall down in unexpected ways.

It is a personal decision.

For light weight, minimal cost and good performance, the basic parallel valve engine with the Catto 3 blade looks good and flies great.

For all out performance, the angle valve 200 hp with a Hartzell 2 blade composit $12,000+ prop would be my choice.

Nothing in between would do it. :)

In regards to this question, be aware that the more you get "off the reservation" with new engines, induction manifolds, injectors, etc., the longer (perhaps much longer) it will take to finish your FWF task list since nothing Van's sells will work FWF. <snip>

FWF is a domino game where once you knock one domino down (ie-make a non-standard choice), it may <WILL> cause other dominos to fall down in unexpected ways.

Yes in spades! I am in the slow going category, not much offered for some things and even what you assume will work because it is offered by Vans, may not. Then you are into research, re-research, design-frabricate redesign cycles.

It is a personal decision. <snip>

Definitely, no right/wrong here.

I researched the Hartzell Composite, nice prop, 100 lbs thrust increase, BUT check clearance for full pitch. It may be OK with Vans cowl, not with the James. I am satisfied that efficiency is not worse at altitude, but not better either, compared to the BA aluminum Hartzell. The dominos fell for a while. Probably more to come.

Airplane / Engine / Prop

RV-8A; new Aerosport IO-360; Hartzell CS Prop.

4 years, 400+ hours - no regrets.

I have the MT 3 blade.

Pros: turbine smooth, like a barn door of a speed break in the pattern, light weight, climbs like a cat on a screen door, looks cool on the ramp.

Cons: slower top speed

If I were buying a new prop right now, I'd look seriously at the whirlwind 74 RV.

WhirlWind 200RV!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the WhirlWind 200RV yet.
It pulls like a horse at low speed, is as fast as a Hartzell blended airfoil prop, weighs 38 lbs WITH THE SPINNER, and by the way, comes with the spinner already fitted, so that saves a bunch of time.

FWF installation details for constant speed are pretty straightforward, no dominos. I did modify Van's prop control cable bracket, you can search for my old post on that.

What the fixed-pitch prop guys are giving up is ground roll and take-off distance, and perhaps even climb rate. Assuming they are pitched to go fast, so no speed compromise, then what they are missing is the 5-second ground roll to flight. Aero braking to get slowed down is cool too, although I don't make a habit of that. But when you need it, its there.

You could always go alternative

Here is another option :D.

ded10048bf852ee8c2bf38944e1c1a9d.jpg
[/IMG]

b8d1bef3199070fe2a79ca8a99a1165a.jpg
[/IMG]

57ba7ce9bea90211e3ce592bed72742a.jpg
[/IMG]

Back