What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Very Useful Hammer

David Paule

Well Known Member
This little brass hammer is now on its third or fourth homebuilt. I didn't make it, but I use it almost every day. Doesn't look like much but it's really very useful.

msmxx0.jpg

The brass head is 5/8 inch diameter by 2 1/4 long. The hole is 1/4 inch diameter and the handle is about 6 3/8 inches long, including the part inside the head. Looks like a small nail expands the tang of the handle in the head.

Carve the handle for comfort.

Dave

Brass hammer

I found a small brass hammer at a sale at an aircraft engine shop years ago .They thought it was worn out. It is my favorite tool! I use it almost every day I am in the hangar!

Greg, I use it on anything that needs tapping. If something's lightly clamped and needs some minor shifting, it's just the thing. It's the go-to tool for tapping out rivets if I need to do that.

Surprising handy, and at least for me it's definitely a must-have tool, in spite of its appearance.

Dave

I use mine to punish myself everyday for getting involved in this hobby.

Usually, when I say LOL, the truth is I didn't actually LOL. But, David's comment above caught me off-guard, and so this time when I say you made me LOL, I really did LOL.

Loudly. Even scared the dogs.

--
Stephen

You don't have a hammer? Can't wait to get home so I can post a pic of my hammer. This one has such character it is killing me. The handle came right out of Daniel Boone.

Not a hammer!

That's not a hammer ... it's a left-handed smoke shifter. I used them all the time in Boy Scouts. We kept it right next to the prop wash .. gotta keep those props clean!

Back