What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbureted 0-320 Fuel Filter(s)

Hey all. I plan on using the Andair Gascolator on the RV-9A with an O-320. Is a fuel filter(s) installed somewhere between the wing tanks and the Facet pump a requirement, highly desired, or a good suggestion? I dont believe any of the certified tin cans I have flown have filters other than the Gascolator.

If installed, which filter is recommended?

Is it okay to run hose with aircraft-grade clamps between the wing fuel pickup line and the Fuel Selector valve along the front of the carry-thru spar or not? It seems that if a filter is installed, then one for each wing feed would be better than a single-point of failure.

Part numbers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Responses in red below.

Hey all. I plan on using the Andair Gascolator on the RV-9A with an O-320. Is a fuel filter(s) installed somewhere between the wing tanks and the Facet pump a requirement, highly desired, or a good suggestion? I dont believe any of the certified tin cans I have flown have filters other than the Gascolator.

Not required, but a lot of folks do it. Filters in the wing roots between each tank and the fuel selector are one option.

If installed, which filter is recommended?

Something that is a) not a paper element, b) very low flow resistance at the flow rates our engines need, and c) maybe a conical element so that any debris won't completely block the filter. This may not be a bad choice:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-230106erl

Is it okay to run hose with aircraft-grade clamps between the wing fuel pickup line and the Fuel Selector valve along the front of the carry-thru spar or not? It seems that if a filter is installed, then one for each wing feed would be better than a single-point of failure.

If you're referring to barb fittings with hose clamps, negative. The plans stick with tried and true aircraft grade fittings (even if there is some debate on the 3003 tubing). Barb fittings and hose clamps are great for some things, but keeping your Lycoming happily fed deserves a step above.

Part numbers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

fuel filter

this one has been OK for 280 hrs. I don't find much debris in it upon inspection. I may move it forward about an inch in the future.

100_4636.jpg

http://flowezyfilters.freestarter.com/

Series 3000

Hey all. I plan on using the Andair Gascolator on the RV-9A with an O-320.
We have used an Andair GAS375 as a Fuel Filter. Some people say you need a gascolator, so we call it one for them ;) It is positioned after the fuel valve and before the electric pump.

As a "filter" it is a lot quicker and easier to check / clean than some e.g. the Airflow Performance filter. If you install it in the cockpit, you might consider plugging the drain hole since a drain valve in the cockpit is not a great idea. At which point, it is not a conventional gascolator i.e. you cannot check for water via the drain.

Make sense? Just an option...

fuel filter

I couldn't find any pictures but the inlet is simply a bent hard line. Because the fuel filter is towards the spar the hard line is fashioned in the shape of "C" in order to fit. The filter sits on a plastic zip tie mount. I use a zip tie around the filter. The zip tie mount is glued to floor with Goop trim adhesive. The fuel line exit is within 1/4 inch of the floor cover. So that is pretty close but I have not found any evidence of contact. I did have some concern about mounting the box to the unsupported center cover for screw removal but so far it hasn't been a problem, plenty of bolube on those. I did see one picture of another builder that mounted the filter above and to the top side of the center cover and then slotted the center cover further forward to allow the fuel exit line to pass through. That's another option. I also remember kicking around the idea of using the fuel injected pump cover from Van's. That's another option. Options galore!

these are the pictures I could find. I remember I was proud of that little cover.

100_5944.jpg

100_5948.jpg

100_5947.jpg

edited

found a picture

100_4506.jpg

Last edited:
I used an Earl ceramic cone style from summit racing. Hard piped into each using the EArl AN filter housing. One each side in horizontal tubing section fwd of the spar. Have an O 320 RV 9. Changed several times in 450 hrs. Have found what looks like " hair" off the 100LL pump filter. You will see low pressure alarm quickly if any trash.

Back