What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sale of Vertical Power

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
While I anticipated when Vertical Power started that it would someday be sold, Marc's news release today leaves a few questions, mostly surrounding staff.

As a holder of one of VP's several orphaned products, I kind of liked knowing the individuals who worked there.

I see that they're closing up shop in ABQ and moving to Washington State. I'm curious if all of the people are going or just some. Is Marc going? And, if so, for the indeterminate future or until operations are set up?

And finally, is there any hope for bringing back the VP-50 for the little guys?

That last one is a joke.

Looks like they took their forums down, too, although that wasn't specifically mentioned in their newsletter. As an orphaned VP-100 owner I have the same concerns. I hope this isn't signs of things to come. It doesn't look like Astronics has any involvement in the experimental market so there could be a big learning curve.
:confused::confused::confused:

Looks like they took their forums down, too, although that wasn't specifically mentioned in their newsletter.

No, Marc specifically mentioned here that their forum is down only because it was recently hacked. I'm sure it'll be back up once the dust settles in their new location.

It doesn't look like Astronics has any involvement in the experimental market so there could be a big learning curve.

Sure, but Marc knows this market well, and he's going to teach them. I don't know how much it applies in this case, but acquisitions like this are often as much about getting the personnel as the products. Since Astronics already has roughly similar products, it's a safe bit of speculation that they wanted Marc and his team's notable expertise in the experimental and LSA markets.

The VP-X is an innovative and well-engineered piece of kit, with strong patents to back up some of its unique IP. It's perhaps understandable that owners of the discontinued legacy products are worried, but I'm sure VP will clarify its intentions soon.

For the existing products in the VP-X line, I just seriously doubt there will be many changes, and in fact, my personal opinion is that the acquisition will improve the longevity and lifespan of these popular products.

This is a good thing, people.

--
Stephen

Last edited:
This is a good thing, people.

--
Stephen

This remains to be seen. I have a VP-X and absolutely love the product and Marc has been great to deal with. Time will tell if this is something to worry about however.

Try this scenario on for size...Astronics bought VP for their IP, will implement this into their products and slowly back out of the homebuilt market since they never intended to play there. I don't expect Marc to stick around too long before sailing off into the sunset...and I have no qualms about that, I'd do the same. The real money isn't in this business, the fat checks come from the big boys (commercial and military), which is the market where Astronics plays now. If they do back out of the homebuilt market, what is their incentive to support VP legacy products?

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I am preparing for this type of scenario. At the end of the day, my entire airplane is wired around my VP-X, its a little late to back out now, so I'm stuck with whatever happens.

This remains to be seen. I have a VP-X and absolutely love the product and Marc has been great to deal with. Time will tell if this is something to worry about however.

Fair enough, Ron. Like you said, time will tell.

I admit your worst-case scenario is possible, I just don't think it's likely. And with the popularity of the VP-X and over 1000 of their ECB's in our airplanes, even in the worst-case, someone else would come along to fill in the gap.

VP's patents might well be interesting to Astronics on the high end, but there's nothing there to keep an upstart newcomer from filling the void if today's market leader were ever to exit experimentals. There may not be huge upside for such a newcomer, certainly not if he has to compete with Marc and his stellar reputation here, but there would be enough to sustain a "lifestyle" shop, just like so many of the other vendors who are successfully surviving in our little niche.

I'm going to put a VP-X in my airplane in 2014. Unless something truly unexpected happens, I think that's a safe decision.

--
Stephen

p.s. it bears repeating, I have zero financial interest in VP or in its success. I just respect what they've accomplished and hope they're abundantly rewarded for the courage and fortitude it required to start-up and thrive in one of the worst entrepreneurial economies in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Fair enough, Ron. Like you said, time will tell.

I admit your worst-case scenario is possible, I just don't think it's likely. And with the popularity of the VP-X and over 1000 of their ECB's in our airplanes, even in the worst-case, someone else would come along to fill in the gap.

VP's patents might well be interesting to Astronics on the high end, but there's nothing there to keep an upstart newcomer from filling the void if today's market leader were ever to exit experimentals. There may not be huge upside for such a newcomer, certainly not if he has to compete with Marc and his stellar reputation here, but there would be enough to sustain a "lifestyle" shop, just like so many of the other vendors who are successfully surviving in our little niche.

I'm going to put a VP-X in my airplane in 2014. Unless something truly unexpected happens, I think that's a safe decision.

--
Stephen

p.s. it bears repeating, I have zero financial interest in VP or in its success. I just respect what they've accomplished and hope they're abundantly rewarded for the courage and fortitude it required to start-up and thrive in one of the worst entrepreneurial economies in my lifetime.

Valid counterpoints Stephen...I feel better already :) As I said, I love my VP unit and think it is definitely the way of the future.

Don't worry ACS has push breakers for about 3 bucks each.

I understand the humor in your post, Bob. (I laughed!)

For those that don't though, let me say that the VP systems provide many, many more functions and capabilities than just circuit protection, so old-fashioned push breakers are not a fair comparison in isolation. When analyzed as part of a whole-airplane electrical system, the VP-X is strongly cost-competitive with traditional systems.

I just hope Astronics doesn't raise the prices at all before I order mine! :)

--
Stephen

Back