What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using Vertical power electronic circuit breakers

Working out the avionics side of the RV8a and wondered if anyone has been using the Verticle power setup, particularly with the Garmin 3x. I am kind of old school and like to have circuit breakers but this would allow for a very clean install and cockpit layout.

Not an RV8 but I have the G3X and the VP-X Pro in my RV7 and it is integrated with my G3X system. Garmin did a good job with the software/user interface that talks to the VP-X.

I absolutely love it. So far it works as advertised with very little trouble getting it installed, configured and up and running.

In my case I originally built the plane with a multi fuse block for a main bus. Bare bones basic.... During my panel redo, I ripped out most of the original power system and replaced it with the VP-X Pro. (Contactors and fat wires excluded)

Last edited:
I have one in my RV-10 and really like it a lot. It saves a ton of space for breakers and makes the install much simplier.

The software interface is pretty easy to use. During one of my test flights, I had to reset a breaker in flight. It just took a few seconds through controls on the EFIS to reset the breaker.

The thing I really like is that I can see current draw on each and every device. I was troubleshooting an issue on another device and this helped isolate the problem.

bob

I am considering this same setup. Are you going to build the panel yourself? I have read through the G3X install manual and am a bit intimated.:( Looking for feedback from those who have done it.
Thanks

It was a very fun experience but I am a tech geek electrical engineer with tons of experience in this kind of thing.

The manuals are amazing and almost go over the top on information.

Stein is ready and willing to help you out if you need some professional assistance. He can do as little or as much as you want.

Check out this thread and you can see some of the highlights of what I went thru to redo my panel...there are pics of the wiring harness builds all thru that thread.

The latest G3X products help make the wiring job a little easier with the use of normal density pins and such.

Just powered mine up

I have the G3X and VP-X. Just powered my system on last weekend. The VP-X installation guide is great and works you through the entire power system step by step. Really made it easy.

I was intimidated by the G3X wiring, so I used the Approch FastStack system. It was about 2k for all the avionics based on their modular hub. Took about 5-10 hours to connect all the power/grounds from the FastStack cables, and to screw all the connectors into the trays I already had mounted. Then powered up all the devices with no smoke! Then followed their layout as to what communication protocol to set on each device/port. Would have had everything talking perfectly with less than 10 hrs after receiving the avionics and FastStack cables (does not include all the power I ran earlier, or the VP-X which I had wired but not powered on). All except I had a problem with my ADHR on the G3X system. After 5 hrs of trying to figure out what I had done wrong on it, gave Garmin tech support a call, 20 min later had a ship notice of a new ADHR (GSU-73) from Garmin.

I am really happy with both the G3X, VP-X, and FastStack.
The Fast Stack cables are great also for the future as each device (Transponder, G3X, Radio, GPS, audio panel, etc) has it's own cable, so if you replace a device or add a device, you just have to add or replace 1 cable.

VPX Sport IN RV8

I installed a VP-X Sport in my RV8 that I'm building. Like you I was old school but after going down and taking a tour of the Vertical Power facility and seeing the capability of the system I was headed home with a VP-X Sport.
My goal is to build a light weight clean looking 8 and the VP-X makes for a clean simple installation. I installed a Dynon Skyview but the overall install and interface is close to the same with Garmin.
For my electrical system the Sport had enough capability and when you look at what it does vs cost its money well spent in my opinion.

screenshot-20131120-121719-727.jpg

IMG_0644.JPG

VP-X/G3X

I have built this into my RV-8A panel and am extremely pleased. Stein did the harnesses and I think it was worth the small amount he charges. Nick did am amazing job.

I did a little creative engineering to fashion a rack and a way to "drop" the box if necessary (see the link for pics).

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=83978&page=4

One thing I really like is the ability to control electronics trhough the EFIS (On/Off switches and fault reset). I also have great SA on the health of the electrical system (load and voltage).

Hope that helps.

v/r
Strike

VPX

Not an 8, but installed one in my RV12 and would do it again in a heart beat. Mine is interfaced to my GRTs, but works well with others EFIS systems.

I absolutely love it!

A good friend is also installing it in his 8 and commented on the ez of install when planning and ultimately the wiring. Anyone I talk to that has one installed is very happy. :D

I am an electrical engineer and used to work for Vertical Power. Before I did, I had already decided to put a VP-X in my airplane. Everything I saw when I was there just confirmed that decision.

The products are well engineered, fault tolerant, and superbly supported. Marc and his team go the extra mile for customers, and really understand the various systems-integration issues that builders face. The documentation is particularly good. Like you, I plan on a Garmin G3X (or whatever succeeds it), and the integration between the VP-X and the G3X is effective and elegant.

I had studied up on traditional power systems, and with my experience and degree, I doubt I would have had much problem powering up a traditional panel. But what a chore! And then, after all that work, I'd have had a less capable system than a VP-X provides.

I no longer have any ties at all to the company, and I had nothing to do with the engineering of the VP-X, but when the time comes (next year, if all goes to plan), I will certainly be buying and installing one.

--
Stephen

VP PRO/ G3X

I used the VPX Pro / Approach fast stack, G3x very simple to connect and configure. Flying, 22 hrs so far no regrets- would make same choice today. Great support from Marc, Stein, Tim.

Many Thanks

Thank you all for your input. Didn't intend to ride on someone elses coat tail here but I sure do appreciate the information!!

Went through the install manual today and based on the input here I believe I will press on with the vertical power. As far as taking on this install yourself, the only real problem I see is that there can be some information that is taken for granted from an installation perspective. Considering some of the things I have seen in the past, learn what a good crimp looks like. ( Nothing like grapping a connector and bending, only to have all the wires break off where the crimps are too tight) These concerns could easily be resolved on here or a visit to a local avionics shop.

I'm using a VP200. Thorough instructions regarding tool use, crimping, handling connectors and how to lay the system out. Used FastStack for a lot of the integration with GRT HX, GNS430, etc. Works great and keeps all the electrics and more in a single location.

I am doing this install right now in my -7 project.

I used the Approach Fast Stack and consider it the "quick Build" of the avionics world!

I am a professional electrician but these little wires are a different story.

Having these products makes the installation a no brainer!

I have yet to hit the switches but have complete faith in the setup!

Go for it! You will be pleased!

:) CJ

P.S. See my installation at http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4511&highlight=

I have the VPXpro (and still ran short of circuits) and G3X system in my RV8. Every wire was run by me and it all works! Stein's wiring diagram for panel interconnects is worth its cost by a mile and VPX's planner makes it's install a weekend affair. I highly recommend both systems...from an install standpoint. Read the Garmin manual, it really is a work of art. Want to know how to make up the shield grounds...its in the Garmin manual...just like every other thing you can possibly imagine. And, lets just say you do come up with a question that you are certain is not answered in the manual...call Garmin or email g3xpert in here and they will happily direct you to the page in the manual that clearly and concisely answers your question. Marc at Vertical Power will also happily answer your questions. I couldn't be happier with both companies.

Last edited:
we are very early adopters of the VP-200 (Serial nr 23!) and would definitely take the same route/do it again!

i don't think i'm going over the top if i'd say that vertical power was about the most solid entry that came out of nowhere and immediately was here to stay in the experimental market in the last 10 years or so.

documentation, software, concept, even corporate design is really 2010+ish. very state of the art and the way it should be!
also, the units have quality engineering behind, which we found out by hammering marc with all kinds of questions and "ifs" we could come up with every day at osh before we finally took the plunge.
proof is that you hardly ever read of serious failures/shortcomings of the VP products.

marc and his team are also great to work with, very approachable and open to inputs.

about the only poor choice IMHO is the discontinuation of the vp200 line without any replacement product really and a vp400 that is in a very tiny niche market/special.
as a result of developments, a few auxiliary features on the vp200 such as the checklist functions aren't as polished as they could be. obviously coming up with the (very succesful) vp-x grabbed the major part of resources. nonetheless, support is top and can't remember any promised features that didn't materialize and the very very few bugs in the first place were fixed quite promptly over the years.

go ahead, you won't regret the choice! just get used to having to explain to old school a&p's and inspectors what solid state electronics are *LOL*

I built an RV 9 with G3X and the vertical power pro. The system made for a very clean installation. I am not sure it saved any time as you are running the same amount of wires, they just go to different places. The system is very flexible and you can change (mostly, there are limitations) circuit values if you need to. Probably the biggest problem I had with the system is getting the pins out. The pin system definitely needs to be redesigned. As for the system quality and support they are both top notch. Marc Ausman was very patient with me as I am not what you would call current on software engineering. I would do it again.

RV9
105 hours, just went to paint

Probably the biggest problem I had with the system is getting the pins out. The pin system definitely needs to be redesigned.
When I was installing mine, I also quickly got frustrated with those connectors and releasing pins. Contrary to the directions, I decided to take one of them apart to see how the release was made inside.

Once I did this, it became clear how it worked and much much easier to use. I had no problem getting the connector back together.

When I was installing mine, I also quickly got frustrated with those connectors and releasing pins. Contrary to the directions, I decided to take one of them apart to see how the release was made inside.

Once I did this, it became clear how it worked and much much easier to use. I had no problem getting the connector back together.

Brian, can you describe the proper technique you found after disassembling the connector?

Thanks!
Russ

Brian, can you describe the proper technique you found after disassembling the connector?

Thanks!
Russ

It is very hard to describe. I wish I had taken pictures of the connector with the end off. The advice from VP is to not take these apart and I am sure that if you do, they will be annoyed at the least if you mess up one of the connectors.

However I did not find them to be self destructing when I did take the end off of one to see how it was made inside. If you have other pins inserted when you do this, you must be careful to keep them in their positions because the part that holds them in place is what you are removing to get a look at the latching parts.

As best as I can remember, you need to keep the release pin as straight as possible, keep it as close to the crimped on power connector as possible so that the release pin makes it way between the crimped on power connector and the release catch. If you look at one of the crimped on power connectors, it it has a "U" channel on one side with a notch where the locking tab snaps into when the power connector is inserted into the housing. The release pin must make its way down that "U" channel and get in between the power connector and the locking tab to make it release.

If you have to push hard or the release pin tool goes in too far, it won't work properly. It also helps to push the connector all the way up into the housing before inserting the release pin tool to give the catch room to move without binding on the power connector.

I also found that the shape of the end of the release pin tool needs to be worked on. I think mine came with a rounded end on it. I filed mine to have a slanted end on it and put the long side toward the power connector each time and this made it easier for the release pin tool to get between the catch and the power connector.

Keep in mind that all of this is from memory and the older I get the more the memory fails!

Clear as mud?

I should have taken one apart and made a video. Sorry!

Thanks Brian. This is good info for when I get my VP-X. I'm sure it'll be clear when I have the connector in my hands. :)

Back