What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extending a metal lip?

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Not a big deal (except to me), but I trimmed the left side of my instrument panel 1/4" too far, I can easily adjust to make it look fine, but.... y'know. I was thinking I might be able to make a lip out of JB Weld (like I'd do with a bit of resin and filler if I was working with fiberglass), maybe put a thin piece of metal on the back to support it. Piece I need to add is only ~1.5" long, and is non-structural/load-bearing

The panel is going to be veneered, so the repair/extension will be covered up, thoughts about if this is possible?

TIA

Attachments

• left panel wing (Small).jpg
    left panel wing (Small).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Extension

Since it will be covered, I would cut a piece to fit plus an inch or so. Cut a second the size of the area to fill. Rivet the filler to the support then rivet the support to the panel. Flush rivets of course.

The narrow width of the filler section and the location (it looks like there is a bulkhead behind the top of the panel) makes it a bit awkward to extend but agree that it should have a backing plate of riveted aluminum, otherwise filler will likely crack and fall off. Honestly though, in time it will probably not be noticeable when everything is finished...

As an aside, if you're intending to put wood veneer over aluminum, there have been some other posts on VAF where they "wouldn't do it again" because of the veneer splitting due to different rates of expansion/ contraction.

Back