What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about IFR certification in Canada

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I was doing a bit of early snooping for avionics today and went down to talk to a Garmin avionics dealer/installer. I told him that I wanted to build an IFR aircraft and was talking about the GTN certified nav/com. He told me that the EFIS displays would also likely need to be certified as well. Having certified EFIS's is obviously going to add a whole bundle of $$$ to the purchase. I would appreciate it if anybody can shed some light on this.

Thanks

I was doing a bit of early snooping for avionics today and went down to talk to a Garmin avionics dealer/installer. I told him that I wanted to build an IFR aircraft and was talking about the GTN certified nav/com. He told me that the EFIS displays would also likely need to be certified as well. Having certified EFIS's is obviously going to add a whole bundle of $$$ to the purchase. I would appreciate it if anybody can shed some light on this.

Thanks

Don't believe that is correct. What you do have to have is certified nav systems - 2 of them. Otherwise you should be good to go. Tom Martin may chime in as his Rocket is IFR certified, and I don't believe his EFIS is.

Randy - your Garmin dealer has his head stuck so far up his behind he's not likely to ever see the light of day... :)

All joking aside, your dealer is absolutely and completely wrong. Spend a little time with the good ol' search function here and you'll find several threads where the requirements are documented and discussed. You'll also find very few of us homebuilders trust a Garmin dealer in the "certified" world to have any clue what the requirements are in the amateur-built world.

Please do be aware that requirements differ between Canada and the US. In the US you'll see lots of folks running a 430 or 650 and that's it. This does not meet Canadian requirements. Get familiar with using g oo gle to search the regulations available on Transport Canada's website (the built-in TC search tool is pretty much useless). Get to know CAR 605.18 as a good place to start.

Randy - your Garmin dealer has his head stuck so far up his behind he's not likely to ever see the light of day... :)

All joking aside, your dealer is absolutely and completely wrong. Spend a little time with the good ol' search function here and you'll find several threads where the requirements are documented and discussed. You'll also find very few of us homebuilders trust a Garmin dealer in the "certified" world to have any clue what the requirements are in the amateur-built world.

Please do be aware that requirements differ between Canada and the US. In the US you'll see lots of folks running a 430 or 650 and that's it. This does not meet Canadian requirements. Get familiar with using g oo gle to search the regulations available on Transport Canada's website (the built-in TC search tool is pretty much useless). Get to know CAR 605.18 as a good place to start.

To be fair to the dealer he said he would look into it and qualified that they really didn't have much experience in the world of experimental aircraft. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Back