What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying a partially build RV kit - Vans paperwork

KeithO

Well Known Member
So folks, I am next week going to be the new owner of a partially completed RV-9A kit. The seller has a sheet from Vans with a build number. It seems that the intent is that the form be completed in duplicate and signed and stamped by a notary to transfer possession of the kit from 1 owner to the other.

The form does not have the name of an owner on it, nor does it even indicate the type of airplane (it seems the form was developed when the RV-8 was the highest Vans number and there is a spot to fill in the model number but it is currently blank.

Do you have any advice in this regard ? I will have what is considered a legal deed of sale for the state of AZ listing the build number. Does the Vans form need to be filled out in duplicate and notarized and what happens then, do I keep 1 copy and send the other to Vans ? This kind of activity must go on all the time with kits changing hands ?

I did the same thing. Call Vans for exact details.

The current owner needs to write up a bill of sale for both of you to sign. I sent a copy to vans and ask them to transfer the builder number to me. Don’t forget to let the avionics supplier and engine supplier know about the sale, if necessary.

I just did my bill of sale with Vans and registered my plane with the FAA 3 years after the sale/transfer.

I would also have a tech Couselor or previous builder inspect the kit prior to purchasing it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. All that has been built are the wing skeletons, rudder and horizontal stab. No finishing kit ordered, no engine involved. Fuselage still in the crate.

I just went through this after purchasing a partially completed RV8. Vans require a bill of sale and a signed waiver agreement. Mine took a week or so after emailing the info. Jasmine Hudnall sent me reply that ownership was transferred. [email protected]

Back