What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shout out to Lycoming

gear1

Well Known Member
When my old engine was nearing overhaul, I decided to purchase a new engine for my RV8. I looked at several shops for the new engine, and settled upon the Lycoming-built Thunderbolt parallel valve YIO 360 EXP 271 (basically an IO 360 M1B). I liked the idea of having an American company build the engine, and the idea of having everything new. Jeff Shans, the Lycoming representative, was most patient with all of my detail requests for the new engine, including running the engine at full throttle on the engine stand for an additional 4.25 hours as it is difficult to properly break in an engine at our field elevation of 7600'. I now have 37 hours on the new engine; it is incredibly smooth for a 4-cylinder because of the excellent balancing that was done by Zach and Paul, the Lycoming engine builders who built my engine. It also is 5-8 knots faster than the old engine due to the porting and polishing and 10:1 pistons. In short, I am thrilled to have the Thunderbolt engine on my RV8. Thank you, Lycoming.

Craig you mentioned it’s your second engine for the same airframe. What was the mechanism of purchase?

Lycoming

Hello, Art and Vlad,
Good questions, both. My reason for changing the engine was that it was using an increasing amount of oil as time went on. It started out after a rebuild 1800 hours ago at about 8 hours per quart, and had increased to a 2 hours per quart. It was still running well, with compressions at 80/78 on all cylinders and very good bore scope inspection. It appeared that the oil consumption could only get worse. I called several overhaul shops, who stated 5-6 months from time of receipt of the engine to shipment. This meant that I would be down from 7-8 months when removal, shipment and reinstall time was included. At my age (80), I did not want to give up that much flying time - I might forget how! I had always lusted for a Thunderbolt engine, so to remain flying, I ordered a new Thunderbolt from Lycoming last January (through Van's) The engine was delivered in August (this answers Art's question). I had several flying commitments in September and October, including the opening of the Albuquerque Balloon festival with Chili Flight, so I did not start the engine change until mid October. With repairs to and powder coating of the baffles and many other changes and improvements it took me two months to install the engine. When I can establish the value of the old engine, it will be for sale.
Thanks for asking, Art and Vlad. :)

Glad you got your engine

Recently called Lycoming for a factory overhauled engine and was quoted 311 days to get it.

Back