What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MedXpress disscussion

turbo

Well Known Member
my medical is right around the corner and will be the first time with the new system. i was able to attend a webinar last week thru the PRA and learned a lot of good info. i will share the highlites with you when i return home next week. if there is any helpful pointers on the new system out there i am interested in hearing them. :)

Very easy! I have been doing this for years now!

I always print our the form and don't forget to at least note the confirmation number as this is what your AEM uses to find you on the database.

I went in for my medical last month and as I sat there it seemed every pilot came in without it...

my medical is right around the corner and will be the first time with the new system. i was able to attend a webinar last week thru the PRA and learned a lot of good info. i will share the highlites with you when i return home next week. if there is any helpful pointers on the new system out there i am interested in hearing them. :)

I found the process very straight forward and similar to filling in the paper form. My doc just wanted the confirmation number when I arrived at his office. A convenient feature of the system is how it archives your form for the next physical so you only need to amend items that have changed since the previous visit.

Overall, very easy with no gotchas.

I have used it about 5 times. My Dr. Apparently was part of the testing program.

It is a govt. form, designed by employees who disregarded 80% of the feedback from the test program subjects. The good news is last time it only took me about an hour to complete ( it is a legal document and needs to be correct, even flight times, yet they refuse to autopopulate times so you know what you put down last time) compared to 3/4 a day and 5 phone calls the first time.

Mark

I used it for the first time this year. I may be paranoid, but I did it first on AOPA's website. First of all that helped me organize things. Second, their website alerts you to possible problem areas so you can handle them proactively. Ended up not being a problem (well except for those &@$# colored dots). I eventually got that fixed too. But that is a subject for another thread.

Save or Submit

One problem I had was when I submitted the form I could not make any changes to it. I would recommend you just save the form till you are sure you have all the data correct, then submit it.

And if you have a friendly AME, they'll review your saved version in their office before you submit. This will make sure all you syntax is correct.

Is it safe to say that all AMEs have access to the database and are familiar with applicants using MedXpress? I have a medical due in a couple months and would like to use the online form to expedite and ease the process of getting my next medical accomplished.

Is it safe to say that all AMEs have access to the database and are familiar with applicants using MedXpress? I have a medical due in a couple months and would like to use the online form to expedite and ease the process of getting my next medical accomplished.

It's now a requirement, so one would hope that they are familiar with the process. I don't think that you can even use the old form anymore. But I would imagine it's a bad assumption to think that all AMEs are computer literate and comfortable with the change.

my understanding is "we" and the "AME's" have no choice and have to submit via this system. also, the old MED certificates are no longer used and they print out your medical certificate on a printer now.

That being said I know my AME's office assistant is very experienced with the new system and has been doing it since the beginning. There are issues with it because they are still interfacing with FAA computers and you may experiences system outages.

My advice is don't waited until the last minutes or you may not have a medical.

Since I carry a first class I wasn't too worried about lapsing to a Second class and planned to keep my First Class "Paper" if a new one couldn't be printed while I was there.

It really is easy and very convenient.

Now if the FAA would DUMP the concept of 1st, 2nd and 3rd! :mad:

I am on a special issuance program, normal medical (3rd class) every two years, and a letter from my MD in the odd years.

I have only done this once, in the good old paper days. I did not have to fill out a medical form for this, only took the letter to the AME.

Does anybody know if this is how it is going to be handled under the new system also, or will I have to fill out the online form in addition to the MD letter??

Not happy with the electrification of my life:mad:

There's a EAA webinar that is very good at describing the system.

Key is not to give the AME the confirmation number unless you intend to submit the application - once he has the confirm number, that's the point of "submission" and then leads to issuance or denial.

Dan

I am on a special issuance program, normal medical (3rd class) every two years, and a letter from my MD in the odd years.

I have only done this once, in the good old paper days. I did not have to fill out a medical form for this, only took the letter to the AME.

Does anybody know if this is how it is going to be handled under the new system also, or will I have to fill out the online form in addition to the MD letter??

Not happy with the electrification of my life:mad:

I've done the online submission twice and getting reay to do it a third time. My special issuance documentation was simply handed to my AME. I'm not sure what he does with it.

I've done the online submission twice and getting ready to do it a third time. My special issuance documentation was simply handed to my AME. I'm not sure what he does with it.

So, you did not have to fill out the online form, just the SI paperwork to the MD??

So, you did not have to fill out the online form, just the SI paperwork to the MD??

I did both. In my case, I turn in a letter from my family doctor when I go to get my AME physcial. They are coterminous. The information on the SI letter isn't entered online.

I did both. In my case, I turn in a letter from my family doctor when I go to get my AME physcial. They are coterminous. The information on the SI letter isn't entered online.

Sounds like you are on a different program/schedule than I am.

Hi Mike

I like you am on a special issuance. I am required to submit an exam by the AME every 2 years therefore I use MedExpress at that time (no problem), the other in between years I certify mail my documents from my stress test and letter(cardiologist), bloodwork directly to AAM Okie City. (Saves a fee for flight physical). So far, it works pretty well. I have an authorization letter outling this proceedure which covers 6 years. Hope this helps.

Thanks Jerry, sounds like the same kind of program I am on.

Guess I will not need to fill out the online stuff this time around.:D

Appreciate the input.

Mike,

For your normal physical schedule you need to fill out the MedXpress, for the SI stuff, you do not unless it falls on the same year as your medical.

SI's are handled totally separate from the normal Medical process and can have totally different requirements.

I got tired of paying my AME a full physical fee just for him to send my SI required test results that I brought with me to the FAA so now I just cut him out of the loop and send them in directly. I could never convince him that I did not need a full physical every year. Yes I need to find a better ME but he is better than the other 3 options I have tried in my area.......:(

Back