What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Checking out the Atchafalaya with 9 gates open wide

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
Well, so far, so good in Louisiana. The Corps has contained the water as best as I could have imagined. They aren’t out of the woods by any means, but things have remained contained so far. As you may recall, Paul and I flew along the Mississippi River from Baton Rouge to New River Control Structure and down the Atchafalaya to the coast a few days before they opened the Morganza Spillway (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=72032&highlight=atchafalaya). Tuesday, Mikey and I flew along the coast and took pictures of the lower Atchafalaya-Mississippi Delta region (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=72746). Today, we returned home by way of the Morganza Spillway and down the Atchafalaya to I-10. The weather certainly wasn’t ideal for photos, but it was another fascinating flight. All of today’s photos are at: https://picasaweb.google.com/DrKarst/AtchafalayaAfterTheGatesOpened#

Before the Morganza Spillway gates opened:
IMG_0744.JPG

Today, with 9 gates open:
IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

Fields downstream from the Spillway a month ago:
IMG_0745.JPG

Same fields downstream from the Spillway today:
IMG_1024.JPG

Looking north. Spillway in upper right.

Keep the folks in southern Louisiana in your good thoughts as they aren't out of the woods yet. The levees are getting saturated and there's months more high water coming down the Missouri River.

I'm glad you posted this update, Louise. I was wondering just yesterday what the latest status is.

Good update

Thank you Louise, there is nothing like having your own RV for going out and checking out what needs to be checked out.

great minds

It's too bad we can't figure out how to get the "too much" water to those who "don't have enough". LA has their huge "river", maybe we could build a long ditch from the Mississippi to the south east and south west states!

what a year for weather! I can't remember so much "not enough here" and "too much there". let's hope the upcoming hurricane season isn't as goofy. (please don't fly through a hurricane for us Louise...lol)

Pete

It's too bad we can't figure out how to get the "too much" water to those who "don't have enough". LA has their huge "river", maybe we could build a long ditch from the Mississippi to the south east and south west states!

We'll take some in Georgia! Hasn't rained here in a month - since all the tornadoes came through.

We just want a little, though. Couple of hundred million gallons - and about 5000 gallons on my grass.

If you can find a way to get water to flow uphill without incurring pumping costs then you will be on to a winner.

In England there is an area known as The Fens. This area was drained in the 1700's by Dutch engineers and all the water was pumped into two parallel drains by windpumps. The consequence of this is that although the land reclaimed is very fertile, it is made up mostly of peat which has shrunk as it dried out. This means the whole area is some 30ft or more below sea level.

Maybe Andair can help?

Carol and I flew up the Mississppi from New Orleans to Vicksburg on Monday. It is really tragic. For a good part of the trip, especially north of Baton Rouge, it is difficult to see that there is really a river there. It looks like one huge lake in a lot of areas. Our condolences to all of the people whose lives are probably forever changed.

Vic

irony

Well, as a resident of Baton Rouge and a national guard helicopter pilot I have an active role in this whole event. We have faired relatively well, some have suffered great loss of property but this could be worse. Our big concern is a breech of the levees from the saturation and erosion. As some of our state is flooded, much of us are suffering through a significant drought. I live8 miles from the river and am concerned my yard is dead. My plane is based at L38, south of Baton Rouge, and in sight of the MS river, is still extremely dry. So while we are inundated with localized flooding many of us are more worried about wildfires. Quite the predicament.

Eric Kallio
N518RV... Flying

Back