What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Naval Aviators

RV8R999

Well Known Member
Curious how many active or former Naval Aviators are flying and/or building RVs (yes Marines count)... please respond with platform type (both RV and military). Thanks,

Spank

USMC Helicopter Pilot

I'm building an RV6A, flew T34's, T28s, jet rangers, and UH-1D's in P'cola. Flew H46's in Vietnam. Some H34 and H53 time, too.
Semper Fi,
Bob

Not aviator but....

USN Retired (1100 Line):
Military: Piloted DD, DDR, DDG, DLG, etc.
RV: Flying RV-6A, Building RV-6
Destroyer too big to build in my shop! :p

Last edited:
Navy

Navy, F-9 Cougar, F-4 Phantom, A-4 Skyhawk.
Civ: North American T-6G, RV-6A
:D

Naval Aviator/Flight Surgeon

retired, A-4, A-7
Currently working on a modified RV-3
Previously owned two RV-3s, one with an O-200

Whats a naval aviator doing with gsuit as a call sign? There has to be a story behind that?

Thanks for the service!!

Whats a naval aviator doing with gsuit as a call sign? There has to be a story behind that?

Thanks for the service!!
It's /gee-soot/ not /jez-ooh-it/. :)

Really no story there, just a screen name left over from Ultima Online game. Call sign was 'Hands'...and quite a story there! R-rated mistaken identity.

I'll tell it to ya at a fly-in sometime.

Naval Aviator

My dad is out of town right now or he would post for himself, so here is an incomplete list based on what I know...

SNJ, T-28, F9F, AD5W, AD-6, E-1B (WF2), SNJ, P-80, T-34, EC-121 (WV-2), A-4, A-6, Military version of the Beaver, Royal Navy Gannet AEW version (Brit exchange pilot)...etc, etc.

He was bascially the Chief Stan/Eval check pilot in the Navy's last EC-121 in 1976 when he retired (VAQ-33) and he'd fly out to Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ twice a year to grab parts from the "bone yard" to keep the thing flying!

He built an RV-7A a few years ago and sold it so I need to get my 9A finished so we can go do some cruising and hang out at airshows once in a while!

Doug Lomheim (for father LCDR (ret.) Lou Lomheim)
RV-9A, 90116, Mazda 13B, (still working FWF!)
Ok City, OK

Last edited:
Royal Navy

Sea King Mk's 1, 2, & 5. QFI, Bulldog and Jet Provost. Jet Stream & HS 125.
RV-8...

Naval Aviator

T34, T2, F9 Cougar, A6 (3000 hrs, 830 traps), TA4J (800 hrs training cmd), Years 1966-1986. Currently RV6A 650 hours and loving every minute. Lizard sends

...same way same day...

Many years ago, when I was a young aspiring USAF pilot in training in south Georgia just north of Pensacola, the definition of a Naval Aviator (in formation) was one of group of pilots flying the same way on the same day.

Times have changed, that probably isn't true any more. :)

Navy: F-14, TA-4J, Active '81-'88 and in '03 as a squid LNO ashore with the 3rd Marine Air Wing. Navy Reserves till they pipe me over in '11. RV-6.

USN Retired (1100 Line):
Military: Piloted DD, DDR, DDG, DLG, etc.
RV: Flying RV-6A, Building RV-6
Destroyer too big to build in my shop! :p

Now that's funny right there! I'm guessin' you've added a pair of brown shoes to the wardrobe with all the RV time! :)

T-2A,B,C, F-9, F-4, TA-4J, F-14, Gliders, RV-8, RV-7A

JR, didn't know you were an RV guy, or I woulda been talking RVs with you at 'Hook and offering you a ride while you are in Reno! This year for sure (if you can break away...and thanks for your leadership on 'Hook!)

snip...Call sign was 'Hands'...and quite a story there! R-rated mistaken identity.

Hands, mistaken ID, uh-huh...that's what I say about "Nasty" too! ;)

Cheers (and Fair Winds...)
Bob

Last edited:
Many years ago, when I was a young aspiring USAF pilot in training in south Georgia just north of Pensacola, the definition of a Naval Aviator (in formation) was one of group of pilots flying the same way on the same day.

Times have changed, that probably isn't true any more. :)

Funny, just down south of you in P-Cola, that's the way USAF form was described! Some things never change! :p All in good fun! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

figured a bunch of you guys were Navy (and even a black shoe!) Thanks for sharing. I'm still active duty (1984 - present)

Currently assigned to HSM-70 @ NAS Jax flying MH-60R but Ive flown
T34 h57 h58 OH6 H3 H53 h43 H2 H1 AH64 F18 T2 T38 C12 OV-1 T28 Lear24 P3 T6 and military version of the beaver and otter

spank

more than one black shoe....

figured a bunch of you guys were Navy (and even a black shoe!)

I'm guessing there's more than a couple of us building and flying RVs that went other routes in the Navy.....although I'll admit I would have loved the opportunity to go the aviation route :)

I'm still active duty (23+ yrs); Engineering Duty Officer, former submarine officer, former nuc-power trained EM2.....so can only claim flight time in RV-6A, Ce-140, Ce150/152, Ce172, and a little Piper Warrior time.

New RV 7 owner, bought it, don't have time to build right now and wanted to fly. Active Naval Aviator for 27 years, lots of time in A-6 Intruders plus 25 other flying machines including 14,000,000 miles or so at Mach 25. Can't go there anymore, so the RV is a great substitute.

Dan B.
Beach City, TX

...including 14,000,000 miles or so at Mach 25 ...

Now, THERE'S a comment you don't read much around these here parts. :D I think some elaboration is in order ...

And WELCOME to the forum! (saw that it was your first post)

New RV 7 owner, bought it, don't have time to build right now and wanted to fly. Active Naval Aviator for 27 years, lots of time in A-6 Intruders plus 25 other flying machines including 14,000,000 miles or so at Mach 25. Can't go there anymore, so the RV is a great substitute.

Dan B.
Beach City, TX

Welcome aboard Dan - glad you found the forums! So....have you flown it yet?

Now that what I call xcontry....

other flying machines including 14,000,000 miles or so at Mach 25.

Start in Florida and end up in Texas. Should make an interesting log book entry.

If a Shuttle ends up landing back in Florida, I guess it gets logged as a local flight.:p

Kent

Forty five years ago I had A/C wings, enlisted aircrew, and flew as a radioman on R6D's (C-118's) and had also been a plane captain, A4E's, while on the boat. I have some wonderful memories and still shed tears over other memories. I will always have the highest respect for the pilots that were able to bring wounded aircraft back to the boat at night as the weather was building.

GrayHawk - no intention of being exclusionary when I started the "Naval Aviator" thread. I should have simply titled it "Sailors"

BTW my next project once complete with the -8 is to build a canoe from wood - not quite a DD but a boat is a boat right? :)

Spank

GrayHawk - no intention of being exclusionary when I started the "Naval Aviator" thread. I should have simply titled it "Sailors"

BTW my next project once complete with the -8 is to build a canoe from wood - not quite a DD but a boat is a boat right? :)

Spank

Hi Spank,
Not a problem, I didn't feel excluded. After all, this forum is about planes, not ships.
Even though circumstance led me to 1110 (Surface), I have always loved flying and now get to do more. My sea faring days are over. :)

Wannabes allowed?

I was never in the Navy, but my plane has a Navy fighter paint scheme and my son is a Marine. Does that count? :)

Smokey_side.jpg

Well, its Spank's thread, but if I had a vote, I'd say...Oh yeah! Marine son is a sure bet...and a very cool airplane indeed (anybody with a HUD has to be on the team right!)

That's also the very skull and crossbones I had on the back of my helmet during flight training. Nabbed some of the last remaining black reflective tape for the background from the HT squadron (snuck over from the VT while no one was looking :)) and cut that VF-84 S&C pattern out of white tape. I'll see if I can find an old snap of it and scan/post it.

I've admired your airplane since I first saw it!

Cheers,
Bob

I was never in the Navy, but my plane has a Navy fighter paint scheme and my son is a Marine. Does that count? :)

Smokey_side.jpg

Gotta slide in here, wings in Dec 77. T-34 B and C (instructor), T-28, H-57 and UH-1, H-3, H-2. Active duty until 83, SELRES until '90.

I am awed and proud of the accomplishments of the naval aviation RV bubbas on this board!! Hand Salute....................Ready To.

Here's a link to shot of my Navy schemed Six.

gereed751

Last edited:
Nasal Radiators (inside joke)

I'll throw my name in here too. A-6s active duty, instructed at P'cola, C-9s (DC-9) in the Reserves.
Re. Shuttle driver Dan, all A-6 guys got plenty of low and fast:cool:

Doug (another former VA-196 Milestone)
-4, wings
Seattle area

Naval Aviatiors

RV: RV-8 N747JG Jolly Roger 7 years building, 2 years flying.. 215 hours

Military: Navy AOCS, Trained in T-34B, T-2C, TA-4J
F-14 (VF-24) active duty and reserves from 1976 thru 1985

Civilian: Northwest and Delta Airlines B-727, B-747-400, B-757, DC-10
20,000 hours TT

Jim Gray
Evergreen, CO

Well, Naval Aviation, at least. Aviation Machinist Mate '59 - '63.
Student pilot flying C172
Building RV9.

Former Naval Aviator 1987-1994

OK, I'll jump into this one.

SH-3H Sea King, HS-7 & HS-1 Instructor Pilot.

Current aircraft RV-7A slow build completed and flying - 27 of 40 test hours flown.

"2684, marching into chow"

Well darn, this Navy thread is falling behind the AF thread so I'll add one to the list.

AOCS 26 of 84; T34C, T2C, TA4J, then a lifestyle change; S-3's at VRC50 Cubi Pt. Finally a TAR tour in MEM (C9's) and a foot in the door at FedEx almost 20 years ago!

Gentlemen I hope this thread drift is not going far from Naval Aviators Theme. I am curious about these two pictures shot at San Diego Base. There are two L-29 on the deck of the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard. Do you have any idea or knowledge how they got there?

amphibiousassaultship.jpg

L-29onship.jpg

Vlad,

Not sure, but its likely they were hauled up with a crane while in port.

Back when I was on active duty, I flew a Tomcat from Miramar to North Island so it could be craned aboard for the Air Wing Commnder's Change of Command (took place on our ship, while in port). Flew there with a buddy in his Hornet, and they were both hauled up for the ceremony. They gave us each a full bag of gas to fly the 10 miles, and said, "burn the gas, but no ACM (dogfighting)". Of course we complied...just tight turns in the vicinity of each other...yeah, that's it! :D

Those look like two L-29s that hang out here at Reno-Stead...could have been a movie thing, could have been a publicity thing. Do you know when the photos were taken? I'll ask around a little here and among my former BHR sailor buds and see if anyone knows.

Of course it could be the latest USMC jump jet! The red star doesn't quite fit that theory though, eh! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Vlad,

Not sure, but its likely they were hauled up with a crane while in port.

Back when I was on active duty, I flew a Tomcat from Miramar to North Island so it could be craned aboard for the Air Wing Commnder's Change of Command (took place on our ship, while in port). Flew there with a buddy in his Hornet, and they were both hauled up for the ceremony. They gave us each a full bag of gas to fly the 10 miles, and said, "burn the gas, but no ACM (dogfighting)". Of course we complied...just tight turns in the vicinity of each other...yeah, that's it! :D

Those look like two L-29s that hang out here at Reno-Stead...could have been a movie thing, could have been a publicity thing. Do you know when the photos were taken? I'll ask around a little here and among my former BHR sailor buds and see if anyone knows.

Of course it could be the latest USMC jump jet! The red star doesn't quite fit that theory though, eh! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,
The pictures were taken on June 14th, 2010.

Ferrying

My quess is that they are/were being ferried someplace or like Bob said some kind of publicity thing.

The flight deck would be setup for helos or harriers. No catapults that I would know of to get them off.

Of course messdeck intelligence is always off - those who served would know this :)

Our son is taking part in RIMPAC '10 on board the Bonhomme Richard. Well, by now I think the BR dumped the Marines in the sand and left them there.

The L-29s are used to simulate Tomahawk missle attacks. [EDIT: Never mind. I just read that link and that's where I read the info. D'oh.]

Last edited:
Ahhh, very interesting! Thanks for the link! Shoot, away from Third Fleet for only 4 years, and already cludo! ;)

Pretty creative contracting...on both sides of the deal. Good simulation, and a chance for the contractors to re-live a little wardroom frolic...and "sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms..." :p

Vlad, they'll offload them prior to STARTEX, but...if they push it back all the way to the fantail, and have a clear shot to the bow...:rolleyes:

Don't ya just love all this nautical talk! Carry on!! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Back